Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Felon with a firearm? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/felon-firearm-82215/)

fupuk 01-23-2013 08:09 AM

I was at work and talking to a guy about guns and he told me he is a convicted felon and is still allowed to have long guns but no handguns because he said that he is still allowed to bear arms and they cant take that right away from him? He said that thw conviction was for carry a consealed weapon and a drug charge. Im no lawyer and thought I was was pretty knowledgeable about firearm laws but this just doesn't make sense to me. I just dont know how that is possible? I dont think it will make a difference but im in Michigan. Any insight would be appreciated.

DrumJunkie 01-23-2013 08:44 AM

Best of my knowledge a felon can't own a firearm without having their right reinstated by a judge. Being a felon loses most if not all rights dependent on the state. In my state thay can't vote, own a gun period as long as they have their rights tasken by the felony conviction.

Now I don't know all states and don't even attempt to know the law everywhere. But I don't know if a state that allows certain firearms on a felony conviction. Now the guy might ber talking more about taking what he sees as amoral stand and I'm not sure I'd be willing to blame him there. But often the law and morals do not see eye to eye.

HOSSFLY 01-23-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fupuk (Post 1106578)
I was at work and talking to a guy about guns and he told me he is a convicted felon and is still allowed to have long guns but no handguns because he said that he is still allowed to bear arms and they cant take that right away from him? He said that thw conviction was for carry a consealed weapon and a drug charge. Im no lawyer and thought I was was pretty knowledgeable about firearm laws but this just doesn't make sense to me. I just dont know how that is possible? I dont think it will make a difference but im in Michigan. Any insight would be appreciated.

Its early for me but i think he's full of shet-

nitestalker 01-23-2013 01:29 PM

This is a Federal issue regarding firearms. The answer is no he can not own a firearm. He can not live in a house where a firearm is stored. He has been convicted of a firearms violation this in its self forbids his firearms ownership.
Some states "Flag" felons when they buy hunting license.:)

fupuk 01-23-2013 01:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I just didnt know what to say to him. Call him on his bull **** or play along with it. He was talking about getting a Mossy 500 and I showed him a picture of mine and we just got to talking.

HOSSFLY 01-23-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fupuk (Post 1106742)
Thanks for the replies. I just didnt know what to say to him. Call him on his bull **** or play along with it. He was talking about getting a Mossy 500 and I showed him a picture of mine and we just got to talking.

I don't think i'd play with him :o

trip286 01-23-2013 02:04 PM

Really, their firearms rights can be reinstated if they go through the right process.

But, from the story you relate, it sounds to me as if he's full of chit. He probably would have mentioned the hassle of that's what he went through. And I don't think a judge can pick and choose what guns a felon is allowed to own upon reinstating their firearms rights.

There is also a certain moral obligation you may now be subject to.

rocshaman 01-23-2013 02:12 PM

Some states automatically restore a felon's rights to bear arms after completion of their sentence. Other states you have to apply for it.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/2011/11/17/21433/up-in-arms-a-felons-right-to-gun-ownership

MoreAltitude 01-23-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fupuk

Call him out, keep us posted! I love a good story...

rocshaman 01-23-2013 02:19 PM

Found this on Michigan:

Felony convictions For the purposes of losing Michigan gun rights, the law defines "felony" as a violation of state or federal law that is punishable by imprisonment for four years or more, or an attempt to violate such a law. Felony convictions with lesser maximum periods of imprisonment do not cause the loss of gun rights under this Michigan law. In Michigan, it is considered felon in possession for a person convicted of a felony to possess, use, transport, sell, purchase, carry, ship, receive, or distribute a firearm until 3 years after all of the following circumstances exist: 1. the person has paid all fines imposed for the violation, and 2. the person has served all terms of imprisonment imposed for the violation, and 3. the person has successfully completed all conditions of probation or parole imposed for the violation Once 3 years pass after these requirements are met, the felon can once again possess, use, transport, sell, purchase, carry, ship, receive, or distribute a firearm if he or she does so in a manner otherwise allowable by law.

From this site which has a lot more on the subject:

http://www.aggressivecriminaldefense.com/Client-Center/Gun-Right-Restoration.html