Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Feds Seize 3-D Printed Gun Website

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1407 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2870

Default Feds Seize 3-D Printed Gun Website

FYI! WTF! They can take defense distributed site, they can go after any site!

http://www.infowars.com/april-fools-day-joke-feds-seize-3-d-printed-gun-website/

According to a notice posted on the Defense Distributed website, Homeland Security Investigations and the Justice Department have taken the site down.

“This domain name associated with the website DefenseDistributed.com or Defcad.org has been seized pursuant to an order issued by a U.S. District Court,” the home page of the website states. A federal grand jury has indicted several individuals associated with the website and charged them with violating the Arms Control Act, the Undetectable Firearms Act, and other crimes.

Defense Distributed is on open source organization that designed the Wiki Weapon, a firearm that can be downloaded over the internet and printed with a 3-D printer. The project was co-founded by University of Texas law student Cody Wilson “and a group of like-minded friends with strong libertarian leanings – a mix of Ron Paul fans, hunting enthusiasts, and tech-savvy revolutionaries who see the availability of a “printable gun” as potentially upending power structures across the globe,” PCMag.com reported last August.

In October, Wilson and Defense Distributed launched the “Wiki Weapon Project,” an effort to raise $20,000 through crowd-funding to design and release blueprints for an open source firearm. They planned to buy or rent a $10,000 Stratasys 3-D printer. 3-D printers extrude melted plastic objects from CAD designs. Defense Distributed planned to eventually use a less expensive and more widely distributed RepRap printer to print firearms.

In September, Stratasys threatened legal action and demanded the return of the 3-D printer it leased to Wilson. The company said Wilson and Defense Distributed were using the printer for “illegal purposes.” Following the incident, Wilson was questioned by the ATF.

Wilson talked with Alex Jones in-studio about the printable gun project on two separate occasions – on January 15 and March 20 of this year.

Website have the seized pursuant to an order by a U.S. District Court

http://defensedistributed.com/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #2

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

They didn't do anything illegal!

Stupid ATF shut em down.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
They didn't do anything illegal!

Stupid ATF shut em down.
Someone was saying it was an Aprils Fools Day prank; but, I will wait until 2 April.

This site is up and running: http://www.defcad.com/

The following is a dead link on that site: Access 3D printable firearms. And more section.

I highly doubt this is a prank. This is not the country we once knew!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7560 Times on 3293 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

And today's date is.......................

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
And today's date is.......................
I know, the one give away is the DHS seizure logo is centered! I checked other sites that were seized and the logo is not centered.

Let's see 2 April!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #6

Liked 3698 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

so...

has anyone downloaded these blue prints? And why aren't they posted everywhere?

Tack

Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 605 Times on 364 Posts
Likes Given: 233

If this is not a joke, I will do everything I can to find the CAD files and repost them for all the world to see.

Whether the government wants this information controlled or not, that's not gonna happen.

I was actually on their website last night and I'm still kicking myself (I should probably receive a good beating for the lapse in judgement) for not downloading the CAD files. I already have CAD files for regular AR-15 receivers and didn't see the necessity for a printable plastic receiver. If having this information upsets the government, then we need to make sure everyone has it. I saw the site awhile back and just didn't think much of it because it's not illegal.

On that note, if it is not possible to repost the files, we need to start working on a substitute.

Freedom of speech and information is one of the hallmarks of democracy and personal liberty and this administration has done more than Bush ever thought about doing to attempt to deprive us of our liberties.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So... that was a lot easier than I thought... but I want to make sure the mods are square with posting the files here first. If not, can we post links? If posting of links is not permissible, can we explain where to go to get the information?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm trying to get my paws on the v4.0 mega pack, though, as that was the last posted file by Defense Distributed. I have v3.7 and probably v3.9. I just can't believe I didn't download last night, WTF was I thinking!?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 346

You can store the files in shell accounts. Geezz I am kind of dumb about these newfangled computers and I can think of a hundred ways to distribute the files.

Closed Thread