federal judge rules on dc ban - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > federal judge rules on dc ban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68 View Post
I think there have been a couple court about restrictions like that and courts have ruled that cities/states must have 'reasonable' rules. But with DC you could be right.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
You're right and I was exaggerating but I believe that the only FFL in DC is located in the basement of a police station and keeps poor hours.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Now DC will change their law to say, you can carry, as long as you have 30+ years of training and are able to file your permit every year and the permit office is open from 9:00 - 9:15 on random Tuesdays only.
I'm sure they will try something underhanded, after all DC is run by Democrats.
That said, they may find the Judges orders difficult to get around.

Judge Scullin wrote that the court “enjoins Defendants from enforcing the home limitations of [D.C. firearms laws] unless and until such time as the District of Columbia adopts a licensing mechanism consistent with constitutional standards enabling people to exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms.”

I take this to mean that any future carry Laws enacted by DC would have to comply with Heller and McDonald.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #13

Liked 1079 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Now DC will change their law to say, you can carry, as long as you have 30+ years of training and are able to file your permit every year and the permit office is open from 9:00 - 9:15 on random Tuesdays only.
LOL, and at random locations.

Quote:
I think there have been a couple court about restrictions like that and courts have ruled that cities/states must have 'reasonable' rules. But with DC you could be right.
I think you are mistaken. There are no laws that apply to govts. That's the simple reality.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #14

Liked 262 Times on 166 Posts

I think Kentucky congressman Thomas Massie had a big hand in this! Great job, Great victory!

Congressman Massie Introduces Amendment to Restore the Right to Bear Arms in the District Of Columbia

Jul 16, 2014*Issues:*Second Amendment

WASHINGTON, D.C.*- Today, Congressman Massie introduced an amendment to the Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act of 2015 that would block the District of Columbia from using taxpayer dollars to enforce the following DC laws: the*Firearms Registration Amendment Act of 2008, the Inoperable Pistol Amendment Act of 2008, the Firearms Amendment Act of 2012, and the Administrative Disposition for Weapons Offenses Amendment Act of 2012.

“Criminals by definition don’t care about laws. They will get guns any way they can," said Rep. Massie. "Strict gun control laws do nothing but prevent good people from being able to protect themselves and their families in the event of a robbery, home invasion, or other crime. Studies indicate that murder rates rise following bans on firearms.”

Despite the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2008 decision in*District of Columbia v. Heller*that struck down the DC handgun ban, it is still difficult for DC residents to exercise their right to self-defense. Government authorities in the District continue to establish hurdles and barriers to gun ownership that include re-registration requirements, fees, and submission to invasive fingerprinting and photographing. *Fees, onerous registration requirements, and other government-imposed mandates disproportionately punish the poor, the vulnerable, and others who do not have the resources to jump through endless government hoops.*

Massie concluded, "Congress has the authority to legislate in this area pursuant to Article I, Section 8, Clause 17 of the Constitution, which gives Congress the authority to “exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever,” over the District of Columbia.*It is time for Congress to step in and stop the DC government’s harassment and punishment of law-abiding citizens who simply want to defend themselves."

The Financial Services and General Government Appropriations Act, which provides funds to the District of Columbia and several government agencies, will be voted on later today.*

Old 07-27-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 505

Massie's amendment passed the House, but will get killed by Harry Reid in the Senate.

“I’m fairly confident that it will get killed by Harry Reid,” he(Massie) said, referring to the Senate majority leader. “This was a rider on an appropriations bill and he has refused to pass any appropriations bill.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
LOL, and at random locations.

I think you are mistaken. There are no laws that apply to govts. That's the simple reality.
Whoa, lets not give anyone a genius idea for making it impossible to find him. A mobile vehicle would be evil pure evil, although hilarious and if it was implemented I would have to say.

Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3068 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

Lest we forget, the District of Columbia is not a state and does not have the same status as a state under our Counstitution. DC has no congressmen and has no standing in the congressional branch.

DC is it's own entity (I don't remember what it's actually called) probably a federal district that is under special regs. So it will be interesting to see how a federal court handles this case and all of the appeals, stays, etc. . . . . . .

Old 07-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Lest we forget, the District of Columbia is not a state and does not have the same status as a state under our Counstitution. DC has no congressmen and has no standing in the congressional branch.

DC is it's own entity (I don't remember what it's actually called) probably a federal district that is under special regs. So it will be interesting to see how a federal court handles this case and all of the appeals, stays, etc. . . . . . .
Look to DC vs Heller as precedent.

Hunter S. Thompson

locutus Likes This 
Old 07-27-2014, 06:25 PM   #19

Liked 297 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 59

This ruling took almost 5 years, if I recall, from the filing to the final decree. I think the plantiffs even had to motion in some manner for the judge to rule.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well wisshes to the Citizens of DC. They are going to need it. The MS13 and other gangs of the Mexican and Central and South American Drug Cartels are headed their way, as well as Chicago, Atlanta and countless other places. There are not just a few of them. People living in the country will have to watch our even more now as the Terrorist cooking meth or growing dope on their lands are well taught in killing and have machine guns and an army of others to support them. This is the fruits of what Washington has done.