Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > federal conceal carry?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

yeah what trip said. You dont even have to use his real name. Say that you just met the guy...or turn his lyin ass in .whatever

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #42

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Personally I'd just drop the dime on him, I can't stand a liar.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #43

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz View Post
Not to mention this friend is what gives the ccw community a bad rep. He's obviously a liar and irresponsible and shouldn't be carrying anyway. And a federal corrections officer? That can carry anywhere? Not very likely. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't have much authority
You are wrong sir. I am a Federal Corrections Officer. Because of my arrest authority, even though it is very small and very specific, I am covered under the Law Enforcement Officer Safety Act (LEOSA). I can conceal carry anywhere in the United States, I still have to follow Federal and Local laws. Even when Chigaco was a ccw ban city I could have carried there. However, even I am not allowed to carry on any grade school because it is a Federal GFZ, however, if the state laws allow concealed carry at a college I could carry there. And I can do all of this without ever having any ccw licence/permit from any state.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #44
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2549 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Absolutely FOS. Federal Corrections officers are not allowed to carry off duty, much less their family. Your "friend" has a mental disorder. Report him and distance yourself from him. I agree, he will go off in a spectaular fashion. You do not wnt to be any where near him when he does.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Absolutely FOS. Federal Corrections officers are not allowed to carry off duty, much less their family. Your "friend" has a mental disorder. Report him and distance yourself from him. I agree, he will go off in a spectaular fashion. You do not wnt to be any where near him when he does.
Wrong.

Quote:
Most BOP staff who have primary or secondary law enforcement
status are “law enforcement” officers as defined in LEOSA,
because most of these staff are “authorized by the agency to
carry a firearm,” as required by the law (see 18 U.S.C. § 926B
(c)(2))
Excerpt from a MEMO issued directly from the then Director of the the Bureau of Prisons, Harly Lappin.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #46

We dont have take home weapons however. The thing that really is bassackwards with it all is that it is against Federal law to have a firearm on prison grounds. When we are driving to work, and going home from work are the two most vulnerable times for us, because these are the two times we are wearing our uniforms. These are the two times most likely that former inmates or inmate friends and families will attempt to make a possible hit on an officer they have a beef with.

Im hoping that either through a change in federal law or a union master agreement that they install firearm lockers for officers carrying to and from work.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #47

Michigan, does your status as a Fed corrections officer extend a Concealed Carry permit to any people in your family under the age of 21?

I see that your attempting to set the record straight on what a federal corrections officer can and can't do, but that isn't even the point of this thread, and frankly, I don't know how it went in that direction.

The whole point of this thread is that the OP has a schoolmate, 20 years old, who is supposedly carrying on campus in a state that I presume (OP, set this straight for me) doesn't allow concealed carry on college campuses. This school mate claims that he has a special permit because his dad is a federal corrections officer.

So, Michigan, FACT or CRAP?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #48
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Well I'm glad Michigan cleared up the ancillary issue, but I would like to know as well... does it make any sense that it would extend to a family member.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #49

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Michigan, does your status as a Fed corrections officer extend a Concealed Carry permit to any people in your family under the age of 21?

I see that your attempting to set the record straight on what a federal corrections officer can and can't do, but that isn't even the point of this thread, and frankly, I don't know how it went in that direction.

The whole point of this thread is that the OP has a schoolmate, 20 years old, who is supposedly carrying on campus in a state that I presume (OP, set this straight for me) doesn't allow concealed carry on college campuses. This school mate claims that he has a special permit because his dad is a federal corrections officer.

So, Michigan, FACT or CRAP?
In Arkansas it is kind of a legal grey area for carrying on campus. The law states that CHCL holders may not carry at a college building or event(even an off campus event). So most just assume it means what it says that you can't carry in a building but can walk around outside with it. However that is irrelevant because the school reserves the right to expel any students carrying on school property.

In Arkansas your car is legally considered an extension of your person. This could be good or bad depending on the situation but this is bad for me since a gun in my car is legally the same as carryoing it on me.

This is why u kind of doubt the police found him with it as he claims. I would be inclined to believe that someone at the school would have found out about the incident and tried to expel him. It's kind of a liberal school

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #50

Yeah, here in MS your vehicle is an extension of your home too, but the handgun laws here specifically state that vehicle carry (which is generally VERY relaxed here) is specifically prohibited on ANY educational property. This includes the parking lot.

In fact there is only one circumstance where vehicle carry is allowed on an educational property here, that is if you are dropping off or picking up a minor child, of whom you are the parent or legal guardian. The firearm doesn't leave the car, and the owner doesn't leave the firearm. Meaning both the gun and gun's owner stay in the vehicle. This applies to long arms too.

It also means that if my wife and I both were CCW permit holders, and my vehicle breaks down, she's not allowed to be armed if she has to drop me off at school. Weird.

As far as the carry laws apply to law enforcement personnel, I'm not a cop, so I didn't research those.

I've dissected the carry laws here word for word trying to find a legal way for me to be armed on campus, at least in my vehicle. I did in a way, there are no restrictions on tools such as crow bars and hammers. I still keep my ka-bar on hand, but it generally stays out of sight. Besides, it's not a weapon, it's a grooming tool, I do my nails with it.

Closed Thread