Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Fake 911 calls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Fake 911 calls

This may or may not affect gun ownership but....
If someone politically connected or in law enforcement wants access to your home...it's easy...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/31/conservative-bloggers-say-theyre-being-harassed-for-postings/?vgnextrefresh=1

About a year and a half ago I had 2 local police show up at my door saying that a 911 call had been dialed from my home. I was the only one home and knew for a fact that wasn't true.

They were very persistent in saying they wanted to "check the inside of the home, just to be sure". Having nothing to hide and not wanting to escalate things, I said sure. ( I was more naive at the time than I am now) They walked through the house, then thanked me and left. I thought it was strange...but conceivable.

About a month later, a nearby home was surrounded by SWAT and they went in and made a large drug bust.

In retrospect, I think they were maybe wanting to see who else nearby might possibly be making or distributing drugs in the neighborhood and if you did not object to their coming in, you probably were not involved.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The gps system that they use isn't 100% it could have been a cell phone next door that pointed them towards your house. That would give them the right to search your house though, they didn't need permission they were just being polite

Old 06-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 763 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraj View Post
The gps system that they use isn't 100% it could have been a cell phone next door that pointed them towards your house. That would give them the right to search your house though, they didn't need permission they were just being polite
Seriously?

Are you familiar with the bill of rights? Specifically the 4th amendment!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Every once in a while some 11 year old gets a warning/arrested for prank calls to 911. I have never heard of 911 being used for malicious purposes as it is here. As far as what happened to you, that's pretty weird.

-Matt

Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

Seriously?

Are you familiar with the bill of rights? Specifically the 4th amendment!
Yeah I would have been very skeptical as to letting them in my home without a warrant, or full explanation of the probable cause.

-Matt

Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2208 Times on 1104 Posts
Likes Given: 1133

First of all anyone who does not understand the ramifications of them responding to a 911 call and not checking the 911 call out to assure that no one is in serious need doesn't have a clue. And has never been involved in this type of situation. This happens alot with domestic violence cases where one party calls and the other comes to the door and tells the police either there was no call made from the address, or everything is OK to get them to leave! Or what about a kidnap victim that could have possibly been able to make a call to law enforcement while her or his abductor let down the guard. To just accept everything is OK by a person at a door and leave! I think not!
There unfortunately has been cases where this happened and in the case of the kidnapped person ended up dead! Since in this case galapogos not having anything to hide did exactly the proper thing. And I would not do anything different myself. If there was any question about the 911 call being legitimate. All those calls are on record at the emergency center who received it are recorded and taped.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
Yeah I would have been very skeptical as to letting them in my home without a warrant, or full explanation of the probable cause.
I would have likely been cuffed. Nobody who knows me would call 911 from my home, and a smart LEO would know better than to try to force the issue alone.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

I would have likely been cuffed. Nobody who knows me would call 911 from my home, and a smart LEO would know better than to try to force the issue alone.
Yeah you probably chose the safest route. I am just sorta hard headed.

-Matt