Explosive Materials Background Check Act Revealed - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Explosive Materials Background Check Act Revealed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #11
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

No amendments and sitting in the Judiciary committee

Here is S. 792 Explosive Materials Background Check Act (Introduced in Senate - IS)

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c113:S.792:

To strengthen the enforcement of background checks with respect to the use of explosive materials.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Explosive Materials Background Check Act'.

SEC. 2. EXPLOSIVE MATERIALS BACKGROUND CHECKS.

(a) Amendments to Title 18- Chapter 40 of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in section 841--

(A) in subsection (d), by inserting `smokeless powder and black powder substitutes,' after `black powder,'; and

(B) in subsection (h), by striking `the business of';

(2) in section 842--

(A) in subsection (d)--

(i) in paragraph (9), by striking the period and inserting a semicolon; and

(ii) inserting at the end the following:

`(10) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that--

`(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and

`(B)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or

`(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;

`(11) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence; or

`(12) has received actual notice of the Attorney General's determination made pursuant to subsection (d)(1)(B) or (j) of section 843 of this title.'; and

(B) in subsection (i)--

(i) in paragraph (7), by inserting a semicolon after `person';

(ii) inserting at the end the following:

`(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that--

`(A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and

`(B)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or

`(ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury;

`(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence; or

`(10) has received actual notice of the Attorney General's determination made pursuant to subsection (d)(1)(B) or (j) of section 843 of this title.';

(3) in section 843--

(A) in subsection (b)--

(i) by striking `Upon' and inserting `Except as provided in subsection (j), upon';

(ii) in paragraph (6), by striking `and' after the semicolon;

(iii) in paragraph (7), by striking the period and inserting `; and'; and

(iv) by inserting at the end the following:

`(8) in the case of a limited permit holder, the applicant certifies the permit will only be used to purchase black powder, black powder substitute, and smokeless powder in which case the limitation in paragraph (7) shall not apply.';

(B) in subsection (d)--

(i) by inserting `(1)' after `(d)';

(ii) by striking `if in the opinion' and inserting the following: `if--

`(A) in the opinion'; and

(iii) by striking `. The Secretary's action' and inserting the following: `; or

`(B) the Attorney General determines that the licensee or holder (or any responsible person or employee possessor thereof) is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation for, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support or resources for terrorism, and that the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the person may use explosives in connection with terrorism.

`(2) The Attorney General's action'; and

(C) in subsection (e)--

(i) in paragraph (1), by inserting after the first sentence the following: `However, if the denial or revocation is based upon an Attorney General determination under subsection (j) or (d)(1)(B), any information which the Attorney General relied on for this determination may be withheld from the petitioner if the Attorney General determines that disclosure of the information would likely compromise national security.'; and

(ii) in paragraph (2), by adding at the end the following: `In responding to any petition for review of a denial or revocation based upon an Attorney General determination under subsection (j) or (d)(1)(B), the United States may submit, and the court may rely upon, summaries or redacted versions of documents containing information the disclosure of which the Attorney General has determined would likely compromise national security.';

(D) in subsection (h)(2)--

(i) in subparagraph (A), by inserting `or in subsection (j) of this section (on grounds of terrorism)' after `section 842(i)'; and

(ii) in subparagraph (B)--

(I) in the matter preceding clause (i), by inserting `or in subsection (j) of this section,' after `section 842(i),'; and

(II) in clause (ii), by inserting `, except that any information that the Attorney General relied on for a determination pursuant to subsection (j) may be withheld if the Attorney General concludes that disclosure of the information would likely compromise national security' after `determination' ; and

(E) by inserting at the end the following:

`(j) Attorney General Discretionary Denial of Federal Explosives Licenses and Permits- The Attorney General may deny the issuance of a permit or license to an applicant if the Attorney General determines that the applicant or a responsible person or employee possessor thereof is known (or appropriately suspected) to be or have been engaged in conduct constituting, in preparation of, in aid of, or related to terrorism, or providing material support or resources for terrorism, and the Attorney General has a reasonable belief that the person may use explosives in connection with terrorism.'; and

(4) in section 845(a)--

(A) in paragraph (4), by inserting after `and components thereof' the following: `, except for smokeless powder and black powder substitutes'; and

(B) in paragraph (5), by striking `black powder in quantities not to exceed fifty pounds,'.

(b) Guidelines-

(1) IN GENERAL- The Attorney General shall issue guidelines describing the circumstances under which the Attorney General will exercise the authority and make determinations under subsections (d)(1)(B) and (j) of section 843 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by this Act.

(2) CONTENTS- The guidelines issued under paragraph (1) shall--

(A) provide accountability and a basis for monitoring to ensure that the intended goals for, and expected results of, the grant of authority under subsections (d)(1)(B) and (j) of section 843 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by this Act, are being achieved; and

(B) ensure that terrorist watch list records are used in a manner that safeguards privacy and civil liberties protections, in accordance with requirements outlines in Homeland Security Presidential Directive 11 (dated August 27, 2004).

Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Another article on the issue. I did not see a money issue for a permit in the bill; however, the bill is vague, too many loopholes.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/08/New-Explosives-License-Impinges-on-Gun-Owners-that-Load-Own-Ammo

One change would require those that want to buy and store either smokeless powder or black powder to get a new license--at a rate of $50 every three years--to allow them to do so. The bill also says that they will only be allowed to have "limited" supplies but does not seem to say what amount would exceed those limits.

The bill also redefines what "manufacturer" of explosives means. The original laws defines "manufacturer" as someone who is making explosives (cartridges, etc.) for sale. That commercial aspect of the law is struck out in the new bill. If Lautenberg's anti-explosives bill passes, anyone that hand loads cartridges for their own use or anyone that uses black powder firearms for hunting, sporting, or hobby use will now be classified as "manufacturers."

The new bill also turns the current "shall issue" practice into a "may issue" rule. In other words, the new bill would give authorities the right to deny any citizen the right to buy, store and own loose gun powder or explosives and the government doesn't even have to supply any reason why the citizen is being denied. Nor will the government have to provide a means of redress. Once you are denied, that is it forever.

In his 1792 report on the Navigation of the Mississippi (ME 3:180), Jefferson wrote, "It is a principle that the right to a thing gives a right to the means without which it could not be used, that is to say, that the means follow their end."

If gun owners do not have the means--in this case the gun powder--to make their firearms work, then they are necessarily being denied the capability to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #13

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Many years ago I tried in vain to make a firecracker from smokeless powder....

Short answer is no it cannot be done, and believe me when I say I tried very hard....

On a side note I now am a certified pyro guy, can make, have made, know how to make, and the smoke in the Boston bombing....

Not black powder!!

By the color shape and size of fireball and resulting smoke, it was a mixture of some black that simply burned (the fireworks black will do that) and the primary was either an ammonium nitrate mix or Russian plastic....

and yes you can quote me on that!!!

Yeah I play with a lot of stuff....

Last edited by 2manyhobbies; 05-13-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1885 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 2128

Default Wtf.................

So I can't go buy kitchen matches or anything else that can make a bomb. All fireworks will be banned. When you need a kitchen knife we will run a background check. When you park in our parking lot we will scan your lic. plate and break tag. As soon as you walk out your door there will be camera watching your every move........Its funny, here in N.O. they installed cameras at the red lights to catch law breakers, They also installed the same at street corners to catch drug dealers. The red light cams caught thousands. Not one cam on the corner streets worked...........

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

2manyhobbies Likes This