Executive Order: the Danger of U Background Checks
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Executive Order: the Danger of U Background Checks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Executive Order: the Danger of U Background Checks

The Danger of Executive Orders and a Universal Background Check

So, if a universal background check (UBC) is passed, and the president decides through executive order to stop processing background checks (or the system is shut down due to budget constraints, or due to natural or man-made disaster), wouldn’t that put a universal gun ban in place immediately?

Shouldn’t there be a provision in any bill that if the UBC is shut down for any reason for longer than 4 days, that the law becomes null and void until such a time as the UBC is reinstated?

A UBC’s registration criteria should also be immune to political manipulation and tightly controlled. For instance, liberals in Congress would like to define NRA members, Second Amendment Supporters, and all those people who “cling to their God and their guns,” as mentally unstable and therefore subject to a gun ban. Not so far-fetched when Homeland Security decided to include fundamentalist Christians and our military veterans in its identification of potential terrorists!

Jefferis Peterson
Web Design, Social Media, Marketing
http://www.PetersonSales.net

One of My Clients: Nesbit Guns

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

I wish someone had done a real background check on our illustrious leader.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

People Like This 
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #3

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

The current system for background checks requires a specific denial to stop a sale and there is a set time limit in which they need to deny the individual, 3 business days I think?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/fact-sheet

Maybe an FFL can offer more insight about what the procedures are if you are unable to submit the request in the first place.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

People Like This 
Old 02-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
The current system for background checks requires a specific denial to stop a sale and there is a set time limit in which they need to deny the individual, 3 business days I think?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/general-information/fact-sheet

Maybe an FFL can offer more insight about what the procedures are if you are unable to submit the request in the first place.
3 days. and if they ignored the time restraints, the courts would intervene. The UBC is stu[id, but it's not a conspiracy.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
3 days. and if they ignored the time restraints, the courts would intervene. The UBC is stu[id, but it's not a conspiracy.
Courts can take up to YEARS to be resolved...

eldar

Old 02-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

The ATF agent informed on my last inspection that should someone not have a favorable background check, there is no way (unless cleared by a court) that they could get the firearm.

The FFL at that time can:
1. Sell the firearm for the individual,
2. If the firearm came in as a transfer, send it back to seller and hope the buyer reimburses the shipping and background check fees.
3. Buy the firearm by giving the buyer money and reselling it or transferring it to themselves.

I really do not think someone who knows they will fail the background check is going to us an FFL for a transfer.
So what good would does the Universal Background check do? Nothing more than what we have now, and will cost the taxpayer or FFL holder more money.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If Biden says we don't have the manpower or time to prosecute or manage the existing system, and we are going broke as a nation, how are we going to be able to afford to institute a system (including all the executive orders just passed) that is going to require 1,000's more agents?

Jefferis Peterson
Web Design, Social Media, Marketing
http://www.PetersonSales.net

One of My Clients: Nesbit Guns

Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

If the UBC goes through, it will simply require all sales to go through a dealer's books, including the insta-chek system.. It won't really require extra personnel.

It's stupid, useless and won't solve any problems, but it's not the end of the world either. It will be a minor PITA, but we can live with it if we have to.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #9

Liked 125 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 130

From my personal experience background checks can be over turned if the person has proper paperwork that shows where it was made in error.
Long story as short as I can make it:
Did something stupid when I was 18, 3 years probation, Class 3 Felony amended to a Misdemeanor after successful completion of probation. Had Misdemeanor Expunged so by law I've NEVER had a Felony conviction or even a Misdemeanor one for that matter.
Still shows up on my Brady check, got denied once and had to send in all my paper work to TBI to get things straightened up. Now it only takes about 4 or 5 hours for me to go through the "Insta-Check" because they see that there WAS something there and sit and scratch their heads for hours trying to figure out what's going on.
99% of the time I refuse to buy from a dealer because I just don't like risking getting denied or waiting for hours. Doesn't matter that I've had a Tennessee Carry permit since inception or a C&R Type 03 FFL, it still take them quite a while to get me approved.
The Insta-Check IS total infringement on gun owners.

This is the War Room!"

Last edited by TNFrank; 02-05-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
If the UBC goes through, it will simply require all sales to go through a dealer's books, including the insta-chek system.. It won't really require extra personnel.

It's stupid, useless and won't solve any problems, but it's not the end of the world either. It will be a minor PITA, but we can live with it if we have to.
In order for this to work, it will require national registration. This leads to confiscation.