Enough already!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Enough already!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default Enough already!

As I get older I don't get riled up too often but reading this article has really gotten under my skin

News from The Associated Press

I really don't have the desire to debate this but I will say this - if these ********** can't work a 10-12hr shift without a goddamned nap than I suggest they stay the **** home and let someone else do the job! I am beyond sick of hearing some puke make excuses for some pussy that can't handle their goddamned job!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by CA357; 04-26-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I wonder just how many of those girly-men were in the Service. Twelve hours was often a short day.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-26-2011 at 12:59 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #3

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

No kidding. I can't believe the crap people get away with these days.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

as it turns out the sleeping controllers were working under union negotiated 2-2-1 workshifts. 221 is 2, 16 hour shifts then 8 hours after the second 16 hour shift they do the 8 so they get 4 day weekends...

so instead of working a 8 hour shift 5 days a week like normal people they put the lives of the american taxpayers at risk so they can have 4 day weekends.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-26-2011, 12:30 AM   #5

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

Boy...this just keeps getting better.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 AM   #6

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

I understand the 221 shift they work on, but that's what they negotiated for and that's what they got. The problem I have is the are paid to work ... so work! There are many professions out there where one cannot simply say "I'm too tired, I need a nap before I can work" - Fireman, LE, Military, hell even in Construction there are situations where the work must get done, no exceptions. They can rest all they want on their own time or they can find an easier line of work!

As for that assclown NTSB board member he should be removed from his position immediately. He obviously doesn't understand nor have a decent enough work ethic to begin with.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Twelve hours on a mid shift after one day off from a weeks worth of day shift, of sitting in a dark room, with nothing on the radar screen, no radio traffic and no other interaction other than to nervously click a SkillCraft ball point pen?

Yea, I don't get it either?

We're not talking about a job where you have something to do, they sit and watch an empty airport, no arrivals, no departures; or sit in a darkened IFR room with nothing on the radio and not one blip on the scope until the box haulers depart around 5AM.

Solution.....Close the tower and have aircraft land themselves. They do it all the time.
As for Centers and TRACONs, provide some interaction, duty rotation or computer work the controller can do while working position, anything other that looking about an empty room or staring at a blank display.

This is a problem the FAA has never addressed and the two idiots (Secretary of the Department of Transportation, Ray La Hood and the Head of the FAA, J. Randolph Babbitt) don't have the necessary knowledge to solve this issue either. They will act on input from NATCA, the air traffic controllers union and air traffic management. NATCA will want two controllers on drawing night differential and Holiday pay, FAA management will want anything that keep their butts out of the hot seat.

I have a buddy who is a fireman. Uh, they have it pretty easy until the bell rings. There is always something to do around the fire house, like shoping for the dinner menu, choosing a movie to watch for the evening, etc.

My $.02

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 04-26-2011 at 12:39 AM.
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 04-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #8

Liked 1154 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 363

I'm with you Dune. Controllers have a special job that has unique issues that go with it. I have a couple suggestions though.

Networked video cameras across towers or to a central location. The controller can be seen by others if they fall asleep.

My other and favored solution though would be to use something like the Pilot controlled lighting system. If we put a vibrating motor under the chair of the controller if a pilot approaches and can't raise tower they can "buzz" the controller with a set of clicks of the radio.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-26-2011, 01:03 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
If we put a vibrating motor under the chair of the controller if a pilot approaches and can't raise tower they can "buzz" the controller with a set of clicks of the radio.
It is possible that some may use the emergency transceiver to "Buzz" themselves!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #10
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7316 Times on 4400 Posts
Likes Given: 8973

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
As I get older I don't get riled up too often but reading this article has really gotten under my skin

News from The Associated Press

I really don't have the desire to debate this but I will say this - if these ********** can't work a 10-12hr shift without a goddamned nap than I suggest they stay the **** home and let someone else do the job! I am beyond sick of hearing some puke make excuses for some pussy that can't handle their goddamned job!
I see both sides of this situation. I work midnight shift. I make it a point to come to work well rested so I can do the job I'm being paid to do. Granted, my work is very often fast paced and it will definitely keep you awake but even on the slow nights, if I got caught sleeping I would be fired and my job would be given to someone who is willing to stay awake and work the whole darn shift.