Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Enough already! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/enough-already-41756/)

dog2000tj 04-26-2011 12:02 AM

Enough already!

As I get older I don't get riled up too often but reading this article has really gotten under my skin :mad:

News from The Associated Press

I really don't have the desire to debate this but I will say this - if these ********** can't work a 10-12hr shift without a goddamned nap than I suggest they stay the **** home and let someone else do the job! :mad: I am beyond sick of hearing some puke make excuses for some pussy that can't handle their goddamned job! :mad: :mad:

CA357 04-26-2011 12:09 AM

I wonder just how many of those girly-men were in the Service. Twelve hours was often a short day. :rolleyes:

Rick1967 04-26-2011 12:26 AM

No kidding. I can't believe the crap people get away with these days.

JonM 04-26-2011 12:28 AM

as it turns out the sleeping controllers were working under union negotiated 2-2-1 workshifts. 221 is 2, 16 hour shifts then 8 hours after the second 16 hour shift they do the 8 so they get 4 day weekends...

so instead of working a 8 hour shift 5 days a week like normal people they put the lives of the american taxpayers at risk so they can have 4 day weekends.

Rick1967 04-26-2011 12:30 AM

Boy...this just keeps getting better.

dog2000tj 04-26-2011 12:34 AM

I understand the 221 shift they work on, but that's what they negotiated for and that's what they got. The problem I have is the are paid to work ... so work! There are many professions out there where one cannot simply say "I'm too tired, I need a nap before I can work" - Fireman, LE, Military, hell even in Construction there are situations where the work must get done, no exceptions. They can rest all they want on their own time or they can find an easier line of work! :mad:

As for that assclown NTSB board member he should be removed from his position immediately. He obviously doesn't understand nor have a decent enough work ethic to begin with. :mad:

dunerunner 04-26-2011 12:36 AM

Twelve hours on a mid shift after one day off from a weeks worth of day shift, of sitting in a dark room, with nothing on the radar screen, no radio traffic and no other interaction other than to nervously click a SkillCraft ball point pen?

Yea, I don't get it either?

We're not talking about a job where you have something to do, they sit and watch an empty airport, no arrivals, no departures; or sit in a darkened IFR room with nothing on the radio and not one blip on the scope until the box haulers depart around 5AM.

Solution.....Close the tower and have aircraft land themselves. They do it all the time.
As for Centers and TRACONs, provide some interaction, duty rotation or computer work the controller can do while working position, anything other that looking about an empty room or staring at a blank display.

This is a problem the FAA has never addressed and the two idiots (Secretary of the Department of Transportation, Ray La Hood and the Head of the FAA, J. Randolph Babbitt) don't have the necessary knowledge to solve this issue either. They will act on input from NATCA, the air traffic controllers union and air traffic management. NATCA will want two controllers on drawing night differential and Holiday pay, FAA management will want anything that keep their butts out of the hot seat.

I have a buddy who is a fireman. Uh, they have it pretty easy until the bell rings. There is always something to do around the fire house, like shoping for the dinner menu, choosing a movie to watch for the evening, etc.

My $.02

Yunus 04-26-2011 12:41 AM

I'm with you Dune. Controllers have a special job that has unique issues that go with it. I have a couple suggestions though.

Networked video cameras across towers or to a central location. The controller can be seen by others if they fall asleep.

My other and favored solution though would be to use something like the Pilot controlled lighting system. If we put a vibrating motor under the chair of the controller if a pilot approaches and can't raise tower they can "buzz" the controller with a set of clicks of the radio.

dunerunner 04-26-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 493262)
If we put a vibrating motor under the chair of the controller if a pilot approaches and can't raise tower they can "buzz" the controller with a set of clicks of the radio.

It is possible that some may use the emergency transceiver to "Buzz" themselves! :D

winds-of-change 04-26-2011 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj (Post 493233)
As I get older I don't get riled up too often but reading this article has really gotten under my skin :mad:

News from The Associated Press

I really don't have the desire to debate this but I will say this - if these ********** can't work a 10-12hr shift without a goddamned nap than I suggest they stay the **** home and let someone else do the job! :mad: I am beyond sick of hearing some puke make excuses for some pussy that can't handle their goddamned job! :mad: :mad:

I see both sides of this situation. I work midnight shift. I make it a point to come to work well rested so I can do the job I'm being paid to do. Granted, my work is very often fast paced and it will definitely keep you awake but even on the slow nights, if I got caught sleeping I would be fired and my job would be given to someone who is willing to stay awake and work the whole darn shift.