Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Enemies & American Colleges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It also has a lot to do with the inhabitants of the area. I would think a School in NY would tend to be more liberal than a school in podunkville MS.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I find it kinda hard to believe that anyone could be educated in our colleges today.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #13

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
I find it kinda hard to believe that anyone could be educated in our colleges today.
I feel the same way. Not because of the lack of "education" but because of the type of it. I'm having to take chemistry, algebra, and music appreciation. My major is Forestry, the job I'm going after is wildlife conservation law enforcement/ Game Warden.

Do they want me to be jammin to Bach while looking for poachers and spotlighters, or giving a hunter's ed course?

Old 10-07-2011, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I feel the same way. Not because of the lack of "education" but because of the type of it. I'm having to take chemistry, algebra, and music appreciation. My major is Forestry, the job I'm going after is wildlife conservation law enforcement/ Game Warden.
That's hardly a symptom of "today's" college education; it has pretty much always been so.

It's unlikely that you have to take specifically chemistry, algebra and music appreciation. You're probably required to have some minimum number of credits in the sciences, mathematics and the humanities. I, for one, do not think it is inappropriate to expect that an educated person have some basic knowledge of science, math and the humanities.

Quote:
Do they want me to be jammin to Bach while looking for poachers and spotlighters, or giving a hunter's ed course?
No, they think they are giving you the education required to bestow a degree in Forestry upon you. You're not in a vocational certificate program. I seriously doubt that you will ever regret knowing a little chemistry, or being able to solve a simple algebra problem, or recognizing a Chopin ballade.

Robert Heinlein had it right when he said, "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Learn whatever they'll teach you. It won't be wasted.

Last edited by ttolhurst; 10-07-2011 at 03:21 PM.