Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Elle article on guns in LA, kind of funny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Default Elle article on guns in LA, kind of funny

On foxnews.com website they had a link that took me to this article. I believe that Elle is some kind of girlie magazine, so this was written to that audience. I think it's an interesting look at the most "ignorant" part of the population that doesn't know anything about guns and shows what their first exposure to guns is like in a positive way...

http://www.elle.com/Life-Love/Society-Career-Power/Should-I-Buy-a-Gun

Quote:
One afternoon four years ago, my then boyfriend strides into the den where I’m reading a book and shows me a gun. A metallic silver handgun still wrapped in its original plastic, it lies there, impotent, in a small metal lock box, but it terrifies me anyway. My boyfriend, who I’ll call R., lifts the top of the box gingerly, like he’s displaying a rare and delicate treasure, a Fabergé egg that might shatter if jostled. He wants me to know there’s a gun in the house. I wonder when he decided he needed it, where he bought it, whether he applied for a permit to render the thing legitimate. Is owning a gun in Los Angeles even legal? Then, growing irritated, I ask myself: How did he manage to do this without my knowledge?

I’d never seen an actual gun, except in the holsters of police officers. To my mind, guns were verboten, menacing, violent. They were unpredictable contraptions beloved of white supremacists or paranoid meth heads in creepy desert hideouts. My formative years were spent in Illinois, where gun control laws have long been some of the strictest in the nation. I lived in a middle-class suburb, where mall-going was the chief recreational pastime and there wasn’t a culture of hunting or shooting for sport. My mother, who raised my two sisters and me alone, was a champion worrier—she forbade us to ride in cars if there was so much as a hint of “precipitation” and hired babysitters for us until I was well into high school, to my great dismay. But she certainly didn’t keep a gun at home for protection. Whenever she heard a suspicious late-night noise, a creak or crash that convinced her someone was climbing through a basement window or lurking around our deck, she called George, the sturdy, mustachioed cop who lived with his young family across the street, to sweep through the house and give her the all-clear.

“Why did you buy it?” I finally ask R.

“For self-defense,” he tells me, in his best duh voice.
You've got to read the whole thing from the link. She takes a safety class...

Quote:
I follow his directions. My hands start shaking. All that’s left to do is shoot the damn thing. I’m intimidated—I’m petrified!—but people are watching. Peer pressure always motivates me. I squint, hold my breath, and…fire.

Fu-k.

My first thought is, I can’t believe how loud that was. I’m wearing earplugs, but you don’t just hear the firecracker noise in your ears; you feel it with your whole body. Even if, like me, you’ve never handled a gun, they figure so heavily in the entertainment we watch—from Law & Order: Special Victims Unit*to Sarah Palin’s reality show to movie trailers and video game commercials—that firing one for the first time is a weird combination of startling and banal. Guns are (pardon the pun) loaded with so much cultural baggage that you think you know what to expect. You don’t. TV gunshots sound and act no more like real gunshots than construction-paper snowflakes resemble real snowflakes.

My next thought is, I want to do that again! I have an immediate, exhilarated reaction.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2012, 01:48 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yeah, most people that get a chance to shoot find out that they either kinda like it or love it.

The folks that are rabid anti gun usually fall into a few groups.

1. Men who lacked a father figure who would take the time to teach their son how to shoot, and being anti gun is their way to rebel against their father.

2. Women that hate men because they see men as the competition. These women were probably shunned by a guy at some time in life, maybe by their father, or maybe they were ignored by their mom while she chased some guy or guys. These women want to deny men things they know most guys (except those in 1 above) enjoy.

3. Idiots that don't have sufficient analytical capabilities to think critically. These folks don't understand the importance of the Bill of Rights to our society.

4. Folks that have lost someone close as a result of a gunshot. This is a small group, and perhaps the only one of the groups that deserve to at least be paid attention to out of respect for their loss.

There's probably a few sub groups too that I missed, but these groups at least define a good chunk of the anti gun crowd.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I don't have to save them

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16873 Times on 9778 Posts
Likes Given: 43998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Yeah, most people that get a chance to shoot find out that they either kinda like it or love it.

1. Men who lacked a father figure who would take the time to teach their son how to shoot, and being anti gun is their way to rebel against their father.

2. Women that hate men because they see men as the competition. These women were probably shunned by a guy at some time in life, maybe by their father, or maybe they were ignored by their mom while she chased some guy or guys. These women want to deny men things they know most guys (except those in 1 above) enjoy.

3. Idiots that don't have sufficient analytical capabilities to think critically. These folks don't understand the importance of the Bill of Rights to our society.

4. Folks that have lost someone close as a result of a gunshot. This is a small group, and perhaps the only one of the groups that deserve to at least be paid attention to out of respect for their loss.

There's probably a few sub groups too that I missed, but these groups at least define a good chunk of the anti gun crowd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I don't have to save them
jeeper, pretty good analysis! i do agree, groups 1 and 2 have emotional hangups, and probably don't need a gun in the first place as they would either hurt themselves or others. group 3, just misinformed idiots, who listen and watch all the misinformation about firearms on the news and take it as the gospel, they are hopeless and believe if it's in the media, it must true. group 4, this group i can relate to, as many years ago, i had a girlfriend, whose brother was paralyzed from the waist down from a gunshot he recieved when a store he was in was robbed. she had a death fear of guns. i understood her fear, and through time, we did get to the point of her not having a panic attack when she saw a firearm.

scratch, some of them can't be saved from themselves, not any use trying!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

My wife was the same way. She grew up in IL for half of her life with extremely liberal parents who taught her guns are bad and people who own guns are bad unless they are police, etc, etc. Today my wife loves shooting. Her favorite to shoot is my SKS and the P-32 Kel-Tec . I know get a lot of enjoyment out of showing off my latest guns when the in-laws come over for a visit I think firearms are becoming a lot more accepted due to some of the shows that have come out lately (even though you may not like the show) they have had an impact IMO. Nonetheless, I thought it was a decent article from anti gun liberal.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Seems like liberals are against private citizens having firearms but have no problem with police and the military being armed. I bet that the average IQ test of a gun owner is higher than a anti gunner reason being it seems like gun owners can read and comprehend the constitution and the reasoning behind the second amendment and liberals can't.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
jeeper, pretty good analysis! i do agree, groups 1 and 2 have emotional hangups, and probably don't need a gun in the first place as they would either hurt themselves or others. group 3, just misinformed idiots, who listen and watch all the misinformation about firearms on the news and take it as the gospel, they are hopeless and believe if it's in the media, it must true. group 4, this group i can relate to, as many years ago, i had a girlfriend, whose brother was paralyzed from the waist down from a gunshot he recieved when a store he was in was robbed. she had a death fear of guns. i understood her fear, and through time, we did get to the point of her not having a panic attack when she saw a firearm.

scratch, some of them can't be saved from themselves, not any use trying!

Yeah, agree on #4. Those folks have a reason for their position and feelings...it may not be rationale, but due to their loss, it's understandable.

The more folks we as enthusiasts get to the range the better, as most, once they shoot, they start to understand.

Old 02-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #8

Liked 3714 Times on 1832 Posts
Likes Given: 1010

Fear of weaponry in the adult male is a sign of sexual and emotional retardation.

Sigmond Freud.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #9

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo

Yeah, agree on #4. Those folks have a reason for their position and feelings...it may not be rationale, but due to their loss, it's understandable.
I have a completely irrational fear of spiders, for the same reason people in group four fear guns. I reached between some couch cushions for some loose change and was bitten. It was terrifying to a five year old me. I can only imagine how much someone would fear a gun if they or a loved one was injured through a negligent accident or crime.

My son was also afraid of cars for a while when he saw someone on a TV show get hit. It was a living nightmare to get him into a vehicle to go anywhere for almost a year and a half.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I converted a few hoplophobic friends. They didn't even like talking about guns. I took a buddy "hiking" with a Henry AR-7 in my bag. Now he owns a Marlin. We all need to take hoplophobes out to shoot & put their irrational fears behind them. I used to be terrified of spiders, now I'll pick them up (the non-poisonous kinds).

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM