Electric Cars - Green? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Electric Cars - Green?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the comments. I just find it amazing that none of the news agencies question the savings or look into disposal of all the batteries that will be used and discarded.

btw: does anyone really beleive the batteries will last 7 years? I know I never get that out of the ones in my car or airplane...

Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #12

Isnt the lead from recycled batteries used to make bullets? Unless the batteries lithium, let the greenies buy away.

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 10-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

IMHO diesel is the way to go. My truck gets between 18-22mpg depending on how i drive it.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5631 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

the real myth is the one about a shortage of oil. wht we have is a shortage of refineries. all the batteries for these cars from what i understand are made in foreign countries that have no pollution controls. making these special batteries is an extremly polution intesive and toxic proccess.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My thought on why a battery could let the car get more out of the fuel is that the battery can store power normally wasted as heat during breaking to use during acceleration. I'm thinking there may be a better way than a battery, maybe some kind of flywheel.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:04 AM   #16

Batteries have come along way but the hybrid and electric car companies are not pushing to the people who it would make since to. Take a service company whose primary business is done out of a van with a large roof that could hold a solar panel, and most business is within 20 mile of their office. Most of them travel for 30 to 40 minutes then are on a job for at least a couple of hours. This would be the ideal application for a hybrid for someone who could use it but it is easier to market to liberal yuppies

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 10-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #17

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Lithium batteries are manufactured overseas because of the pollution issues with their manufacture. Imported and installed in hybrids, they are expensive and create another pollution problem at end life.

They add another $10,000 to the price of a car and never offset the cost in fuel economy.

Hybrids are overpriced junk!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Where I come from green vehicles are John Deere tractors and combines.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
Isnt the lead from recycled batteries used to make bullets? Unless the batteries lithium, let the greenies buy away.
Problem with lead bullets from batteries is it is toxic and the fumes can kill you. It must be done in a control environment.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 10-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #20

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I am of the belief that we don't have a shortage and we will never run out of oil. The oil is a byproduct of the hot molten core of the planet.

It does boggle me how we can go form flying 30 mph for 200 yards to blasting 3 men into space and to the moon in 69 years. yet we are still using the same basic design of an enternal combustion engine that was first produced 300 years ago or there abouts.