Electric Cars - Green?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Electric Cars - Green?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Electric Cars - Green?

Just wondering if anyone has seen anything about how we are going to dispose of all the batteries these vehicles are going to go through?

I have to imagine the waste from this is going to defeat any saving we ever imagine for our environement....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2010, 02:13 AM   #2

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

The batteries are just one of the problems. How is the electricity being made to charge these electric cars? Me thinks mostly by burning coal.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:20 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Myth The cost of the electric would save you money is not true. The cost of The electric car cost about $10,000 more then a gasoline counterpart. The battery last about 7 years. You have to drive the car at least ten years to make up the savings of the better gas milage. The $10,000+ interest If you finance the can buy a lot of gas.

Are electric vehicles really any better for the environment than gas-guzzling cars? - By Brendan I. Koerner - Slate Magazine
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=435228

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 09-28-2010 at 02:26 AM.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:15 AM   #4
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1925 Times on 1113 Posts
Likes Given: 3928

Friend has one of the Ford Escape Hybrid, he was told between $7,000 to $9,000 to replace the batteries.

Green my rear - what BS!

Prefer a Diesel for the gas mileage!

Check this report out:

http://cnwmr.com/nss-folder/automotiveenergy/DUST%20PDF%20VERSION.pdf

Last edited by Bigcountry02; 09-28-2010 at 05:33 AM.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/hydro-carbon-powered-eco-vehicle-32318/#post358882

Answer the poll question on if you own a Green Vehicle.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not only am I worried about the disposal of the batteries on hybrid cars but I find electric cars to be worse. They depend on being charged which means they have to be plugged into something so somewhere a power plant has to generate that energy and plumb it into that car. How much is lost in transfer? Then they have the batteries too.
Global warming is a lie and the "green" movement is nothing more then politics that really only equals a BM after a big salad.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I won't buy one yet as it is but I think it is necessary for us to transition to a better alternative. Not sure yet what it will be but I thought hydrogen was the way to go.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have worked for an automotive testing company. Hydrogen powered vehicles or "Green Vehicles" are not all that it is crack up to be.

Advantages of Hydrogen

Hydrogen is a very clean fuel that produces minimal emissions when combusted directly or in combination with hydrocarbon fuels.
Hydrogen can be produced anywhere in the world
If Hydrogen is used in place of fuel, hydrogen fuel cells will cost a lot less than filling up a tank of gasoline.
When hydrogen is used in a fuel cell, the only byproducts are heat and water.
Reduced dependency on foreign oil. The hydrogen used for powering hydrogen fuel cell cars can be made from a variety of sources including water. This means that there will be less dependence on foreign oil for gasoline.
Use of hydrogen energy will cut down on atmospheric pollution
Hydrogen is safer than gasoline, diesel, or natural gas.

Disadvantages of Hydrogen

Hydrogen is most commonly separated by a reforming process that uses natural gas and other fossil fuels. Supplies of natural gas are becoming harder to obtain, and coal is a source of major pollution.
The technology to produce, store, and transport hydrogen power at an efficient cost is not yet available and will not likely be for a long while.
It takes more energy to make Hydrogen than you get from it.
A hydrogen fuel cell car will not be able to travel as far on a tank of fuel as a traditional gasoline powered car. The fuel cell cars are not equipped to store the amount of hydrogen needed for long distances, so you would need to fill up more often.
If you live in an area where the temperature gets down to freezing, you might have a problem with your hydrogen fuel cell car. Since these cars have water in the fuel cell system constantly, there is a risk it could freeze. Also, the hydrogen fuel cell car has to be at a certain temperature to perform well.
Typical gasoline powered cars only use about 20% of the fuel to power the car. With hydrogen fuel cell cars, around 40-60% of the fuel is used to power the electric motor, making it less efficent.
Hydrogen is highly explosive !

Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know all those and technologically we are not there yet but I believe it has a future.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm still wondering why there are only a handful of places in this country that can (legally) convert a car to run on compressed natural gas, which this country is supposed to have craploads of, CNG that is. CNG is safer than the LPG which is a more common conversion (CNG is lighter than air & dissipates more safely than LPG). I wanna fuel up at my house with a small home compressor.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.