Driving through Illinois - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Driving through Illinois

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

All of the above is very good advice.

Make sure to watch your speed as well. The police, state and local target the interstate highways for drug runners.

Cars with out of state plates that exceed the speed limit are more likely to get pull over and searched.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybigguns
Ammo and gun do not need to be in separate cases.
Gun must be unloaded.
The center console of a vehicle is a suitable carrying case.
Center console in IL is not acceptable. Trunk only. No trunk, then as far away as possible. Must be inaccessible.
They are not nice here, especially Cook Co. and Chicago. Your rights are the last thing considered. Down state is better.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 08-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Center console in IL is not acceptable. Trunk only. No trunk, then as far away as possible. Must be inaccessible.
They are not nice here, especially Cook Co. and Chicago. Your rights are the last thing considered. Down state is better.
Sorry, but you are incorrect.
The Illinois Supreme court ruled the the center console is an acceptable carry case in this ruling on the Diggins case.
http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supremecourt/2009/october/106367.pdf

Here also is an Illinois State Police Shift briefing ,please read the last paragraph.
http://lmscnt.ileas.isp.state.il.us/production/cninv000000000002831/content.pdf

And finally, this FAQ from the Illinois state police says nothing about the trunk of your car, it says Suitable carry case.... locked also does not mean an actual lock, it means zipped, latched, snapped....etc.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

As far as being inaccessible you're wording is not correct, it must not be IMMEDIATELY accessible, that means that you have to unlatch something in order to get at it, which a closed center console fits the bill as the supreme court ruled.

Last edited by mybigguns; 08-01-2013 at 01:13 PM. Reason: edit for spelling

Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybigguns

Sorry, but you are incorrect.
The Illinois Supreme court ruled the the center console is an acceptable carry case in this ruling on the Diggins case.
http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supremecourt/2009/october/106367.pdf

Here also is an Illinois State Police Shift briefing ,please read the last paragraph.
http://lmscnt.ileas.isp.state.il.us/production/cninv000000000002831/content.pdf

And finally, this FAQ from the Illinois state police says nothing about the trunk of your car, it says Suitable carry case.... locked also does not mean an actual lock, it means zipped, latched, snapped....etc.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

As far as being inaccessible you're wording is not correct, it must not be IMMEDIATELY accessible, that means that you have to unlatch something in order to get at it, which a closed center console fits the bill as the supreme court ruled.
Thanks
My experience has been the Chicago way. A friend forfeited his dad's unloaded cased 1911 found in his console. With a night in jail. No money for a good attorney may have made the difference there.
Good research makes for a needed learning experience.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:17 AM   #15
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1918 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 2078

Quote:
Watch your speed.
If stopped, keep your mouth shut. Unless asked.
Keep your drivers license separate from any carry permit.
Keep ammo and firearms apart, cased. Locked if no trunk.
No loaded mags or speed loaders.
If you stop for the night, it's your home. Take it to your room.
Keeping your drivers license separate from your carry permit probably makes sense in Illinois since even with the new law there is no reciprocity. They do allow for out-of-state applications for concealed carry permits, but do not recognize other states permits. (The other bill HB-0997 did allow for reciprocity, but that is not the bill that got passed.)

In any state that does allow for reciprocity, having your carry permit stored with your drivers license is a good idea. Most such states have some requirement for informing an officer as soon as practical during a traffic stop or other interaction. Showing them your permit is generally a safer way to inform them than saying "I have a gun (permit)" since you may not get as far as the "permit" word before they start taking defensive action.

At the end of the day, the advice is the same. Know the laws of any state you go to before you get there. Obey those laws.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-02-2013, 03:02 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Last I checked only ten states require ID immediately upon official contact, the rest if the officer asks. Voluntary show of ID is up to you in "on demand" states. Lots of pros & cons in that situation.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #17

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5
Last I checked only ten states require ID immediately upon official contact, the rest if the officer asks. Voluntary show of ID is up to you in "on demand" states. Lots of pros & cons in that situation.
This is quite true. My home state isn't a "must inform" so I wouldn't say anything unless asked. When traveling, I would probably inform just to be on the safe side. Of course the best way to handle it is just not do things, like speeding or running red lights, that are likely to involve having to interact with an LEO in the first place.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Thanks
My experience has been the Chicago way. A friend forfeited his dad's unloaded cased 1911 found in his console. With a night in jail. No money for a good attorney may have made the difference there.
Good research makes for a needed learning experience.
BTW I keep all three of these documents in my center console along with my 1911.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #19

Liked 2489 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 2396

I'll spend the extra money and time just to drive around that sh!t hole.

Old 08-03-2013, 03:57 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Cool

The last time I was in Illinois was about 55 years ago. I remember
it as a beautiful State with a lot of corn fields. I never thought much
about it since, until Obama appeared on the scene. Not my best
memories any more. Community organizer? Give me a break!

Must have been on the South side of Chicago!

Bob

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)