Drivers Questioned On Guns At Federal Checkpoint. (AKA-> HARRASSMENT) - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Drivers Questioned On Guns At Federal Checkpoint. (AKA-> HARRASSMENT)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

What you must understand is Officers do not want to go into an uncontrolled area with dozens of armed people shooting. Controlling the situation is next to impossible w/o a dozen officers. Forest service officers are NOT very tactically sound. They are service oriented, conservation minded, but NOT cops in the normal sense of the word. They have degrees is Botany and Forestry, not criminal justice.

Secondly, these areas are HUGE. One cannot just "go to the shooting area" and educate the shooters. There are thousands of acres of areas where people are allowed to shoot. To try to go "the areas" would take hundreds of officers. With limited resourses, operating a checkpoint near the park entrance to try to deal with the situation is a reasonable use of limited resourses.

Harassment? Get over your self!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

The first officer in the video says and I quote

"So make sure you pick those up after your done and pick up all your brass for us"

He's talking to people entering the area. If your dumb enough to ignore the request of the officers not to litter and then on your way out tell them you shot but don't have the empties, then you deserve to be cited. Fight it in court if you want but the citation being given by the officer seems legit to me.

We have much better things to worry about than Park Rangers trying to keep the parks clean by asking that you pick up after yourself. This story isn't about the Park Rangers trying to shut down the range just about keeping it clean.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

People Like This 
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 254 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Hear, hear .

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8269 Times on 4778 Posts
Likes Given: 10693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
If this story was true, the officers would have served the community better by going to the shooting area and educating shooters who don't know how to use the resource. Intimidation only causes people to lose respect for law enforcement.
Bingo!!!!!

Old 11-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #15

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I have seen the Public Lands become more antipublic over the past 40 years. There has always been "Foot Prints" left by humans. Tepee Rings old wagons and remains of shacks are Historical places. Old dumps are protected and studied by students on the taxpayed funds.

We now have BLM Rangers, Forest Rangers all manner of police local state and federal enforcing laws on the peoples land. Shooting and hunting on Public lands are the number one targets of this enforcement. Campers and hikers drop tons of plastic water bottles and jerky bags along with their pets turds every where. Did you see LE Agents warning any "Greens" or sending them back to pickup their junk. Hell, no. Don't be fooled hunters and shooters are being pushed off Public Lands.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
I have seen the Public Lands become more antipublic over the past 40 years. There has always been "Foot Prints" left by humans. Tepee Rings old wagons and remains of shacks are Historical places. Old dumps are protected and studied by students on the taxpayed funds.

We now have BLM Rangers, Forest Rangers all manner of police local state and federal enforcing laws on the peoples land. Shooting and hunting on Public lands are the number one targets of this enforcement. Campers and hikers drop tons of plastic water bottles and jerky bags along with their pets turds every where. Did you see LE Agents warning any "Greens" or sending them back to pickup their junk. Hell, no. Don't be fooled hunters and shooters are being pushed off Public Lands.
The irony of it is that the dedicated hunters and shooters like many of us here are more environmentally sensitive than the so-called "greenies" that you speak of yet the "greenies" are shouting about the environmental impacts that "we" are causing but in reality it is probably the newer members of the firearms community who are causing 95% of the problem and there are a bunch of "greenies" in that population.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #17

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here is the non whack job link for the story as I have the same opinion of Alex Jones as most.

http://www.kvoa.com/news/drivers-go-through-checkpoint-at-redington-pass/#!prettyPhoto/0/

The supreme court stands behind the fact that road blocks are unconstitutional but allows them anyway under the guise of public safety. I wonder what our founder would say about that? Oh yeah we already know.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

For those of you who argue that this is ok I ask you to read all the amendments and quit cherry picking which to ignore/enforce. You may want to spend some time on the 4th. From a former LEO trust me there is a lot more wrong with this checkpoint than there is right.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by InDefenseofLiberty; 11-14-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
What you must understand is Officers do not want to go into an uncontrolled area with dozens of armed people shooting. Controlling the situation is next to impossible w/o a dozen officers. Forest service officers are NOT very tactically sound. They are service oriented, conservation minded, but NOT cops in the normal sense of the word. They have degrees is Botany and Forestry, not criminal justice.

Secondly, these areas are HUGE. One cannot just "go to the shooting area" and educate the shooters. There are thousands of acres of areas where people are allowed to shoot. To try to go "the areas" would take hundreds of officers. With limited resourses, operating a checkpoint near the park entrance to try to deal with the situation is a reasonable use of limited resourses.

Harassment? Get over your self!
With all due respect Robo, if there weren't an adversarial between LE and the general citizenry there would not be any reason to control the area. It should be that both parties have equal control. I know this is not how it is, but having been on the receiving end of having LE show up when I am out in the desert target shooting I can tell you that my friends and I had a great deal of fear for our safety because of the heavy-handed way that the officers "controlled" the situation, this when we had the wisdom to clear and safe the firearms, set them down and step away from the shooting bench with hands in plain sight, as did everybody else who was with me (three of us) when we first saw their vehicles approaching from a quarter mile off.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #19

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

It's a very tricky topic isn't it? Some very good points and opinions have been brought up regarding this story, and I respect every one of them.
One such point brought up was that this story came out off the site InfoWars, to which I admit I had no experience with before (I picked this story up from Drudge). After researching this site, I do feel that many of you were right, and that a large portion of it's content is WAY over the top, and needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt. That being said, I still find this story newsworthy, and it's message to me is one that highlights a growing problem which needs attention and at least discussion!

I think we all agree that if you want to pile your garbage on public grounds, most of us will have a very big problem with that. I’m a shooter too, and also amazed at the amount of trash that is left behind by others who use these areas. Once again, my beef with this whole thing is that personal fully legal property in your car, and or admission of littering, constituted RAS or PC for these searches. Do you think that is right??? I've been lied to all my life then because that's not what even my grade school civics class taught me concerning basic rights.

Finally, if the direction of these responses continues to focus on LEO's intention just to combat littering, then why were there multiple arrests for individuals with warrants as stated in the article???? How did these people have their ID's run through the system given it was just a littering checkpoint???? Lets take this further, if this type of stop is now ok, then one could easily argue that random checks for anything deemed contraband could now be allowed. I'm not prepared to concede my rights in that way, nor should I be expected to. With freedom comes responsibility, and I exercise both with passion...

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #20

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I made the border patrol in Arizona try to get a search warrant to search my vehicle as I was coming back from Nogales. They tried to tell me that I had no choice and I quickly informed them that I know the law and I will not be bullied. They were not able to get the warrant and I was able to continue on.