Don't sell firearms illegally - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Don't sell firearms illegally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2905 Times on 1675 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Two Republicans and two Democrats took a first bipartisan step toward new gun restrictions on Tuesday by introducing a bill in the House of Representatives to crack down on gun trafficking to criminals.

http://news.yahoo.com/bipartisan-house-group-pushes-gun-trafficking-proposal-210934475.html;_ylt=AhWjwdBCmC4tVKHvwu8PbMUJVux_;_ ylu=X3oDMTIydjkwZ3J0BG1pdANBVFQgSG9tZSBXaWRnZXRyb2 4gVGVzdCAxBHBvcwMzMgRzZWMDTWVkaWFBdHRXaWRnZXRyb25B c3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #12

Liked 1855 Times on 1038 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

I often buy guns as an investment. They are in my collection. They are for my personal use. But I would sell some if I needed to. I have never bought a gun with the intention to sell it. I believe that is the difference.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #13
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Is an FFL required for the sale of NFA?

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #14

Liked 2470 Times on 1604 Posts

I'm putting my money on intent. If you are buying with intent to resell to make money = dealer. Same as buying for someone else = straw purchaser.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 02-06-2013, 12:20 AM   #15

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

nouthing ileage about that in fl as long as the buyer was legel

Old 02-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #16

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I'm putting my money on intent. If you are buying with intent to resell to make money = dealer. Same as buying for someone else = straw purchaser.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
nouthing ileage about that in fl as long as the buyer was legel

Exactly, it's all about intent, and it's a federal law, so it trumps state.

If you buy a gun SPECIFICALLY with the intent to resell at a profit, that is ILLEGAL.

now, prove intent in a court of law.

if you buy one gun, then realize that you can't really afford it because it maxed out your credit card, and you resell it a week later to pay off your credit card so you can put groceries on the table....that's not really illegal.

but if you buy 3 or 4 of the same exact gun, drive across town to the local gunshow, and sell them the same day...that's probably illegal, and it would be awfully hard to introduce reasonable doubt when you're standing before the judge/jury.

The question is, do you feel like risking jail time to make a few bucks?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8927 Times on 3868 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Welcome to the wonderful world of "That all depends..."

It is unlawful to "Engage in the business" of selling guns without being licensed as a Dealer. No, there IS no magic number that triggers that. No, it is not making a profit. It has been defined by the ATF as "Devoting time and attention to buying and selling with the intent of making a livelihood."

Bought an M1 carbine for my collection. Found a better one, bought that. Decided to sell the first one. NOT engaging in the business.

Decided I am no longer interested in Enfields, and I want to get a 1903A3. I put all of my Enfields up for sale. NOT engaging in the business.

I buy 6 M/N 91/30s. Pick out one I want, and immediately offer the other 5 for sale. Good luck in proving THAT is NOT engaging in the business. I WILL bet you that you are going to spend more than your profits in legal costs for that.

Do you need a dealer to sell an NFA item? No- but transfer must be made by a dealer with the correct license/ SOT.

Is it interference with commerce? Of COURSE it is. And commerce is interfered with/ regulated/ prohibited/ taxed/ limited every day. Don't believe that? Go try to buy a case of dynamite without the licenses. Try to sell an ounce of coke. Take corn and convert it to a clear, flammable liquid.

Sorry- old men tend to ramble a bit. If you are having to work at justifying what you do- it probably ain't right. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, could you PROVE it is a dove with funny feet? And THEY have more lawyers than YOU do.

Disclaimer- I am not a lawyer. My FFL is a Collector's FFL, and not a dealer's. If there are some 01 or 02 FFLs that want to stick on oar in here, they are welcome. But if you go to the ATF website, you can pretty much read everything I just posted.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #18

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Thanks for the clarification c3. That makes sense.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-