Don't sell firearms illegally
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Don't sell firearms illegally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2801 Times on 1619 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

Default Don't sell firearms illegally

I was told today by someone that a co-worker of hers had purchased some firearms from a well known chain store, then turned around and sold the same firearms for a profit.

That could be considered "dealing", and if indeed "dealing" (and not in possession of an FFL) it could result in some R&R time.

Heads up to our members who wish to turn a profit on this firearm & ammo shortage.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Couldn't they say it was a civilian transfer?

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

If they were different firearms, possibly, but 3 of the same manufacturer and model purchased originally at the same time?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21391 Times on 12141 Posts
Likes Given: 53272

i agree. i am sure there are those who saw the trend starting to take place and bought with the intentions of selling at a profit. legally i am not sure where this stands, but it would appear to be dealing and without an FFL that would be illegal.

FAUSA, it's a private sale or FTF sale not civilian transfer. only an FFL can do a transfer.

danf_fl Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The point is not to sell illegally.

All we, as gun owners and FFL holders, need is for our members to be caught doing something illegal.
The fire is big enough without our adding fuel.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #6

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Are there regulations that limit how many guns you can sell before being labeled a dealer? I'm not aware of any. I could see them saying gunbroker sales are classified as interstate sales which would classify you as a dealer. I guess :-/ but then again you transfer to an ffl for gunbroker sales. My head hurts thinking about it now.

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21391 Times on 12141 Posts
Likes Given: 53272

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtWhytHype View Post
Are there regulations that limit how many guns you can sell before being labeled a dealer? I'm not aware of any. I could see them saying gunbroker sales are classified as interstate sales which would classify you as a dealer. I guess :-/ but then again you transfer to an ffl for gunbroker sales. My head hurts thinking about it now.
C3 is pretty knowledgeable on this subject. it might even be up to the ATF agents discretion as to whether you are engaging in the business of selling firearms for profit or as business venture without the proper FFL.

on GunBroker, if they are going through an FFL on the recieving end, the Transferee, then that might be different.

hopefully C3 or some of the other members that hol an FFL can shed more light on this. it makes my head hurt too!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I read this as Government regulations standing in the way of capitalism and the free market.

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 02-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Could an agent consider it a "straw purchase"?

18 U.S.C.921(a)(11):
(11) The term “dealer” means
(A) any person engaged in the business of selling firearms at wholesale or retail,
(B) any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms, or
(C) any person who is a pawnbroker. The term “licensed dealer” means any dealer who is licensed under the provisions of this chapter.

Amendment II:

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Genec Likes This 
Old 02-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

IMO, as in all things legal, intent is key. I have sold and bought guns privately from my house, at gun shows and in parking lots, etc, but the intent was so purchase or sell a single gun. The intent of making a profit over and over, on more than one gun is, by definition, dealing.

Btw, I require a valid( Florida) driver's license and a CCW for all my handgun sales.

Freedom comes from those who fought for it
USMC, NRA, IDPA-SO, GOA

Agent_H Likes This