Don't Do This!!!! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Don't Do This!!!!

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,020
Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10772

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Saying that carrying of a legal weapon in california got it banned is like saying driving a car legally will get the practice banned. We have open carry in my state and doing so has never gotten it banned. Everybody bitches about gun free zones because you say it leaves you vulnerable. What weapon did the last mall shooter use? That's right, a rifle so why shouldn't we be armed with the same thing as the bad guys? If I told you there is a bad guy over there with a rifle and then handed you a 380 and told you to go get him what would you say? I think this country has gone nuts with the concealed carry thing. The purpose of carrying is for self defense not to see how small of a weapon you can hide on your body. Some of you guys sound just like the anti gunners, "he isn't doing it the way I would so it shouldn't be allowed". If you want to carry a mouse gun deep in your underwear that's your business, if he wants to carry a rifle that's his business. This is exactly what the anti's want to see, gun owners complaining about other gun owners.
As I said prior to this, I am not equating CA and UT. I am merely pointing out that the unintended consequences of what the open carry protestors did here was that the once legal practice was banned. It was a direct cause and effect.

If this guy were in CA and open carry were still legal, open carrying an AR in a department store that does not have a firearms counter this soon after the Newtown shooting and while the debate is raging in Washington would be like me walking into a Nazi convention (in a public place) wearing a plain black suit, a yarmulke and a yellow Star of David patch (although I don't look "Jewish" so I may not pull of the full deception). It is looking for a negative reaction and that is exactly what he expected as witnessed by his notifying police and this woman taking pictures. Regardless of what is legal this action was not the right thing to do.

In Utah the reaction was expectedly less than it would have been in CA, but I would submit that the reaction in Utah is probably not too different than what we saw here in CA going back a couple of years ago now. First the OC protestors were OCing with pistols on their hips and in leg holsters, and that was outlawed. Then they switched to long guns since long guns were not addressed in the legislation, and that was quickly outlawed.

That isn't going to happen in Utah, but you can damned sure bet that pictures of this douchebag have made it to Washington and because of him the practice may very well come up for inclusion in any new proposed legislation. Are you guys ready for a national ban on OC? Or a more restrictive national policy on carry than your state already has? Could happen. Is concealed/open carry part of the national discussion yet? Will it be now? Can any good come from it if it does become part of the discussion?

I am a strong supporter of open carry and concealed carry. I feel that if a person is carrying that it is in their best interest to keep it concealed. But in the event that it becomes exposed, or perhaps it gets too hot and a person needs to take their overshirt off, there should be nothing illegal about having a gun exposed on your hip (or wherever). Printing should not be a crime. This having been said I also believe that this sort of confrontational, in-your-face "I've got one of those feared AR-15 Assault Rifles, look how scary it is. Whaddaya gonna do about it?" attitude does us no favors.

Locutus provided the right quote here
Quote:
as Pogo said:

"WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND THEY ARE US!"
If you guys think that ignoring what the other side is thinking, or denying that they will react wildly, to your actions I think you are being a fool.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is online now  
 
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #32
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
drvsafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,636
Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

I try to be discreet & non committal
Works for me.
__________________
SIG 1911 .45 ACP
SIG P229R 9mm
Beretta BU9 Nano 9mm
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
drvsafe is offline  
 
Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I don't believe in open carry. And this jackass is just one of the many reasons that open carry turns me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Ditto
Echo that
Samo here
Agree
Big +1
Tru dat
Feel ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Sure- I get drunk & or stupid too
case in point ... what you do or do not believe is of no concern to how someone else exercises their rights
__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

dog2000tj is offline  
 
Old 01-20-2013, 12:34 AM   #34
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,020
Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10772

Default

If you ladies are done now, I think this post of mine was overlooked. If not just ignore it and move along.


Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Saying that carrying of a legal weapon in california got it banned is like saying driving a car legally will get the practice banned. We have open carry in my state and doing so has never gotten it banned. Everybody bitches about gun free zones because you say it leaves you vulnerable. What weapon did the last mall shooter use? That's right, a rifle so why shouldn't we be armed with the same thing as the bad guys? If I told you there is a bad guy over there with a rifle and then handed you a 380 and told you to go get him what would you say? I think this country has gone nuts with the concealed carry thing. The purpose of carrying is for self defense not to see how small of a weapon you can hide on your body. Some of you guys sound just like the anti gunners, "he isn't doing it the way I would so it shouldn't be allowed". If you want to carry a mouse gun deep in your underwear that's your business, if he wants to carry a rifle that's his business. This is exactly what the anti's want to see, gun owners complaining about other gun owners.

As I said prior to this, I am not equating CA and UT. I am merely pointing out that the unintended consequences of what the open carry protestors did here was that the once legal practice was banned. It was a direct cause and effect.

If this guy were in CA and open carry were still legal, open carrying an AR in a department store that does not have a firearms counter this soon after the Newtown shooting and while the debate is raging in Washington would be like me walking into a Nazi convention (in a public place) wearing a plain black suit, a yarmulke and a yellow Star of David patch (although I don't look "Jewish" so I may not pull of the full deception). It is looking for a negative reaction and that is exactly what he expected as witnessed by his notifying police and this woman taking pictures. Regardless of what is legal this action was not the right thing to do.

In Utah the reaction was expectedly less than it would have been in CA, but I would submit that the reaction in Utah is probably not too different than what we saw here in CA going back a couple of years ago now. First the OC protestors were OCing with pistols on their hips and in leg holsters, and that was outlawed. Then they switched to long guns since long guns were not addressed in the legislation, and that was quickly outlawed.

That isn't going to happen in Utah, but you can damned sure bet that pictures of this douchebag have made it to Washington and because of him the practice may very well come up for inclusion in any new proposed legislation. Are you guys ready for a national ban on OC? Or a more restrictive national policy on carry than your state already has? Could happen. Is concealed/open carry part of the national discussion yet? Will it be now? Can any good come from it if it does become part of the discussion?

I am a strong supporter of open carry and concealed carry. I feel that if a person is carrying that it is in their best interest to keep it concealed. But in the event that it becomes exposed, or perhaps it gets too hot and a person needs to take their overshirt off, there should be nothing illegal about having a gun exposed on your hip (or wherever). Printing should not be a crime. This having been said I also believe that this sort of confrontational, in-your-face "I've got one of those feared AR-15 Assault Rifles, look how scary it is. Whaddaya gonna do about it?" attitude does us no favors.

Locutus provided the right quote here
Quote:
Quote:
as Pogo said:

"WE HAVE MET THE ENEMY AND THEY ARE US!"
If you guys think that ignoring what the other side is thinking, or denying that they will react wildly, to your actions I think you are being a fool.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is online now  
 
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SW OK
Posts: 4,418
Liked 2135 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 3244

Default

i have a "right" to dress as a Dervish and run all over the city of Lawton, OK waving a machete. Does that make it the smart thing to do? Hell no!!!!

__________________
alsaqr is offline  
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,020
Liked 8311 Times on 4803 Posts
Likes Given: 10772

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
i have a "right" to dress as a Dervish and run all over the city of Lawton, OK waving a machete. Does that make it the smart thing to do? Hell no!!!!
Would you be wearing purple? Cause that would just be wrong for a dervish.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is online now  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Idaho --,Happy
Posts: 1,905
Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

There is a chance that this guy is an anti gunner and he just wants to bring bad press to guns !!!!!

__________________
Flat Tire is offline  
 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Detroit,mi
Posts: 2,819
Liked 880 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Default

Shall not be infringed

__________________
partdeux is offline  
 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mosin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,589
Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire
There is a chance that this guy is an anti gunner and he just wants to bring bad press to guns !!!!!
Nah... I know anti gunners and they're shells of men, terrified of them. They look at guns as if they're poisonous spiders, ready to pounce, and if forced to touch one, they hold it by the grip, with 2 fingers, as if its a dirty diaper.
__________________

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Mosin is offline  
 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 AM   #40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Idaho --,Happy
Posts: 1,905
Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Nah... I know anti gunners and they're shells of men, terrified of them. They look at guns as if they're poisonous spiders, ready to pounce, and if forced to touch one, they hold it by the grip, with 2 fingers, as if its a dirty diaper.
Was the gun even real or was it airsoft ?



http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f13/positive-statement-utah-81779/
__________________
Flat Tire is offline  
 
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes