Don't Do This!!!! - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Don't Do This!!!!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 159 Times on 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
This is the kind of open carry that got all open carry banned in California. There is absolutely no reason to open carry a rifle slung over your shoulder into a JC Penny store. The "because its legal" argument doesn't hold water with me. If you feel the need to open carry then why would a holstered pistol not suffice? Or why do you not have a concealed carry permit and do that (if a permit is required)? Before you start fragging me, I don't even thing that cops should be carrying their rifles into a JC Penny store unless there has been an established threat. Sidearms are fine, but the rifle is just some douchebag trying to make out like he is a mucho macho hombre, and he is anything but that. Much the opposite in fact.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/utah-man-carries-assault-rifle-penney-article-1.1242834?localLinksEnabled=false&google_editors_p icks=true
This situation is a sticky one indeed. I lean to favor your thoughts, and don't think his choice was very appropriate. Conversely, if its legal to do so, well it's legal, and he should be allowed to exercise his rights. That being said, just because its legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. Now open carry certainly has is proponents " I often open carry on trails and on horseback where open carry makes total sense", but in a mall you leave leave yourself open to a large group of people where some might have negative views on guns, or deathly scared of weapons, and you may be approached by citizens and LEOs with differing opinions on the 2nd Amendment. This can be very problematic in itself but additionally because many states that have a patchwork of laws designed to trap the unwary (disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct come to mind). To me its not worth it, staying concealed is just much easier and much safer to me personally, if you feel different be sure to really study your state/local laws thoroughly it's easy to get jammed up...

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 01-20-2013, 05:23 AM   #102

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
You gotta be kidding right? If you are carrying a weapon in a safe manner not exibiting behavior dangerous to yourself or others in a manner in compliance with your local statutes = good

If you are aproached by a police officer and you " swing that thing off your shoulder " = bad

Get it ?
All you would have to do is rotate in a circle in a shadow and your image would be blurred. The blurred image becomes death for you.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #103

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
This situation is a sticky one indeed. I lean to favor your thoughts, and don't think his choice was very appropriate. Conversely, if its legal to do so, well it's legal, and he should be allowed to exercise his rights. That being said, just because its legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. Now open carry certainly has is proponents " I often open carry on trails and on horseback where open carry makes total sense", but in a mall you leave leave yourself open to a large group of people where some might have negative views on guns, or deathly scared of weapons, and you may be approached by citizens and LEOs with differing opinions on the 2nd Amendment. This can be very problematic in itself but additionally because many states that have a patchwork of laws designed to trap the unwary (disturbing the peace and disorderly conduct come to mind). To me its not worth it, staying concealed is just much easier and much safer to me personally, if you feel different be sure to really study your state/local laws thoroughly it's easy to get jammed up...
My state allows open carry, my state also doesn't allow any local ordinance stricter than state law concerning guns, so the leos can have all the differing opinion they like on 2A, the law is clear open carry is legal, there is nothing they can do about it unless they want to be sued, and they have been sued over this issue and the citizen won. Though you are right we used to have differing laws throughout the state, glad we got rid of that.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
If it is legal to carry in an area no cop needs to know your intent they need to mind their own damned business, and ya I suppose if a cop drives up and you swing your gun off your shoulder you will have an issue. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would do such a thing and I believe now you are just coming up with crazy what if scenarios to try to further your arguement against legal open carry. Legal carry is legal carry you don't need to prove you have a reason or tell anyone what you are doin, you are going for a walk and carrying to protect yourself, so what, the cop should go about his business.
You carrying in the open just became his business. That is his job

Old 01-20-2013, 05:25 AM   #105

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
All you would have to do is rotate in a circle in a shadow and your image would be blurred. The blurred image becomes death for you.
Im honestly astonished at some of you . Some of the same people I've seen argue it's not the weapon itself that is evil but rather the intent of the operator can be evil .

What? Now ARs arn't evil as long as you dont have one on you ?

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #106
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8713 Times on 5037 Posts
Likes Given: 11330

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreAltitude View Post
Bingo. You get it.

The fact is that this guy did not break any laws, he notified the cops ahead of time and as far as the story says the police were not called and no confrontation took place, but the guy is all over the internet now and I would bet he is being discussed in DC. I bet he regrets his choice now (it would be interesting to find that out).

As I said earlier, discretion is the better part of valor.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #107

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
How bout your speech in " the open " ??? Can that be "his business " too ? Some may find it offensive . Some may find it frightening.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #108

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
So then you are advocating that a person is guilty until proven innocent? A person going about whatever their LEGAL business is at the time is of no concern to any officer, it is not their business, if someone calls and complains then they have a duty to come see what the issue is, once they see what is going on they should go about there business and inform the person who called that there is nothing illegal happening. They aren't to burst from their squad guns blazing and shoot down a law abiding citizen because they are carrying LEGALLY!

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-20-2013, 05:33 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
How bout your speech in " the open " ??? Can that be "his business " too ? Some may find it offensive . Some may find it frightening.
If you are in peoples face and someone is offended and they call the cops then you might just become his business. If he feels you could be offensive to someone he will haul you off.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
So then you are advocating that a person is guilty until proven innocent? A person going about whatever their LEGAL business is at the time is of no concern to any officer, it is not their business, if someone calls and complains then they have a duty to come see what the issue is, once they see what is going on they should go about there business and inform the person who called that there is nothing illegal happening. They aren't to burst from their squad guns blazing and shoot down a law abiding citizen because they are carrying LEGALLY!
Put yourself in his shoes. How many calls of "person with a gun" do you want to go to ?
If they spend all their time with this they will ban it !!!!!!!

Closed Thread