Done with NRA - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Done with NRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Brother... This is how we roll... The more you give, the more is asked of you
And your right, that's with most things. but a polite no when your on the phone is all it takes, I am sure I will give a few more hundred dollars this year and that's okay with me as long as I can do it, I will.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.
7point62 Likes This 
Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1010 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 289

I have been a member for fifty years, and send them money numerous times a year. I do toss many an envelope though. I have never received a phone call, never. An occasional email, yes.
None of it is an issue.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
What got me is they sent me a training video and told me if I kept it to send them $, if not I had to send it back to them. I didn't ask for them to send me anything. I just rejoined a few months ago and they are already trying to get me to renew. Agree with the cause, don't like the fluff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
guys, the NRA usually does not pay for the different 'opportunities' that are emailed and snail-mailed. they make money from sponsors/partners by co-marketing under the NRA name. it's akin to selling membership mailing lists except I think the NRA makes more

I think it is annoying at times. I don't agree with 100% of all NRA policy and statements, without question. My gun club requires me to maintain an NRA membership so that alone is reason enough for me to be an NRA member. But that's not the only reason. Far from it. As a firearms owner, as someone who believes in my right to self-defense, as a hunter and outdoorsman, as someone who believes the second amendment needs to be left alone - there is NOBODY else watching my back like the NRA.

small price to pay if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2b View Post
I agree with all that being said I am getting tired of all the literature free DVDs that they send you asking for money but no money to keep this first free DVD free of charge.
And yes I just didn't feel like mailing it back I haven't even watched it but then the letters keep, and please send it back. So I did eventually send it back but I still keep getting those darn letters obviously it cost somebody money on this free shipping stamps come on.
Sometimes I feel my money is just being spent on the US Postal Service.
I'm starting to think that there's better organizations to put my money in.
I've only been a member for a couple years now has it always been like this?
First, anything that you did not order, if received rough the U.S Mail, is NOT your responsibility to pay for OR return. This is a "guilt" advertisement - they know the laws but they count on 5-10% of those mailed to being moral people and paying for an item they keep. THIS IS AGAINST THE LAW. If you did not order an item, you are neither bound to pay for it or return it. When the bill, past due notice or whatever threat they use arrives, if you feel benevolent, write "Did not order. Do not contact me again or I will file a complaint with the local postmaster." Every time I have done this it has ended any "billing." A return stamp is the most anyone should "invest" in those illegal mailings. They also cannot attach your credit report, as you did not initiate the purchase. As far as the USPS is concerned, this is a gift and you are not held liable.

Second, the NRA does share its mailing lists and many offers received are not seen by the NRA before they hit the membership. The only way to stop this is to forcibly opt-out of NRA mailing list sharing. You can do this by a certified letter to the NRA ordering them not to share your address with any third-party partners. You can also order the NRA not to mail anything to you - not renewal notices, freebies or anything. Under postal code, they must comply or they are in violation of federal law. The signature on the certified letter you send is proof they received your request. In this way, your money is not used for advertising and your address is never sold to anyone outside of the NRA itself. The way the law reads is that once you opt-out, the only way you can be contacted again is if you send another letter requesting to be opted-in. So it's not something you have to do every year or five years or every renewal - opt-out is forever when done right.

Lastly, I agree that GOA, Second Amendment Foundation and others are good organizations that are working their butts off to defend our rights. However, when we are considering all of the combatants in this fight, the NRA is the only 800-lb gorilla in the fight. They have the lobby, and they have the connections that organizations can only dream about. So it's a good idea to support the biggest bully to keep the fight going in Washington to save our rights, but also support the other organizations in hope that one day there will be a better alternative.

So my advice is to be a good consumer, don't fall for "guilt mail" offers, and write one letter to NRA with your next renewal and pay to send it certified mail, return receipt requested. After you get that back, any solicitation received is easily handled with a follow up phone call to ask if they wish to deal with the postmaster general or do what you asked. At that rate, they'll probably have double their normal funds to actually fight Washington harder!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
I have been a member for fifty years, and send them money numerous times a year. I do toss many an envelope though. I have never received a phone call, never. An occasional email, yes.
None of it is an issue.
That's crazy, they call me at least 2-3 times a year, I have been a member for about 25 yrs, However this just started, with the phone calls about a 18 months ago.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1010 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 289

That is annoying. I get plenty, just not from them. I guess I should add a "yet" to that.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:41 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1279 Times on 609 Posts
Likes Given: 189

NRA is needed, yes to much BS mail, but we gotta stay the course.

If you want junk mail, wait till you join the AARP!! good grief!!

I give about a $1000 dollars a year to the Salvation Army, and they keep dunning me at least once a month.
I don't mind, they are a good organization.

Kinda like my four daughter, the more you give the more they want!!
But what the hell, I love'em.

Last edited by Dearhunter; 05-10-2014 at 02:42 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
There's nothing wrong with JPFO, GOA, GOAL, CCRKBA etc.

But all of the put together do not have even one percent of the political clout that the NRA has.

I've been a life member since I was 13 YO. (1957)

I became an endowment member in 1974

I did not, and will not, give them my e-mail.

I just pitch the snail mail.

Without the NRA, there would be no 2A at all within 20 years.
Okay, you should not give that much info out...LOL I was born in 1959, I am 55 so that makes you about 70...you are wise my friend and so is 25-5 so thanks for supporting the NRA so long, as you guys are true 2A supporters

locutus Likes This 
Old 05-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #28
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Interesting post thus far, especially considering this is a gun forum (well kinda) . Gun loving, gun toting 2nd amendment loving patriots one and all! There has been one organization that has spearheaded the battle against the far left and gun control/confiscation liberals, and some of you are going to bail out because you're inconvenienced by a few e-mail or snail mail? I must be running superior equipment here because with one click of my index finger e-mails vanish into the ether with no trace left at all. Perhaps some hand exercises will strengthen your index finger and you will be able to click the delete button like I do? Perhaps a bigger trash can for that flood of snail mail? Lobbying in DC requires a huge amount of money and the NRA uses every technique that has ever worked and will continue to do so until it no longer does. So in my honest opinion the NRA is still the best game in town and I will continue to support them.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1505 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

The NRA has the most political muscle. Period. That's why I'm there. The junk mail gets thrown out. I don't think I'd like to hang around with the suits-in-charge like LaPierre. He's not my kind of people. But love em or hate em, they scare the sh*t out of the gun-grabbers. The NRA has derailed more than one political career.

You put your money where it will do the most good. And right now, that's the NRA.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #30

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Huh. I've never heard of the DVD thing. But I agree with Tekgreg.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Newest Threads