Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Done with NRA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 854 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Default Done with NRA

So I signed up with the NRA last year. Wish I hadn't. Next thing I know, there's at least one, sometimes more than on E-mail a day. Every one of them is from the president, which strikes me as insincere. Like he really has all day, every day to sit around and write E-mails. And then the stuff that comes in the mail. Also way more that there should be. "Do you want a free sticker? How about a hat?" Sign up and get this, that, and the other thing. Want to shop the NRA store? Ummm, no, I want you to go lobby Congress or New York, or California, and get us some gun rights, or keep the ones we already have.

Then I let it lapse. They call. I tell the guy that their never-ending E-mails annoy me. "Well, you can opt out." He starts to argue. I tell him to flake off. He doesn't get the point. When you send me 2 E-mails a day saying "This is important! Read this now, or loose your gun rights!", come on, there is not that many emergencies. Pretty soon, the ALL go directly to the trash bin. But the bigger point is that by sending E-mails, mailings, and free stuff constantly, I feel they are spending too much money on stupid stuff, and ignoring their mission. Then 2 days ago, a woman calls, a company working for the NRA, doing a survey. I tell her that I though the NRA was supposed to have lost my number.

Mind you, I am in no way anti-gun, and I appreciate what the NRA is supposed to be doing, but I'm done with the way they do it. LOL, probably not the best place for an anti-NRA rant, huh? **Flame suit on**

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 05-09-2014 at 09:34 AM.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2755 Times on 1897 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Default Done with NRA

Honestly, I can't say I blame you. I have told them MANY times that I don't like the Way they spend my dues, and that several folks on thr Bd. Of Directors are all for THEIR gun rights, but not for most "Regular Joe shooters" Rights. I let my membership lapse for 6 years before I re-Joined in Oct. Of 12. I opted out instantly from the emails. The Paper mail keeps coming however, and these are the things I write to them about. When we get rid of that racist Texas ret. Sheriff, and keep People like Brandon w. The ex navy seal off the board, because he feels the only long guns we should have are 22's and we should only be allowed 5 or 6 shot revolvers for handguns, then the NRA will get more play from me. Meantime. Join your state Rights group, join the 2A foundation, or JPFO.' Or GOA,...make those groups as strong or stronger then the NRA. Plus, don't you find it odd that the board itself recommends who they want you to vote for? Why? Are you like the liberals now that you as NRA board member know what's best for ME?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-09-2014 at 10:15 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 500 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 2481

I agree, they send out too much mail and email about everything under the sun.
I will re-up one more time, though it may be the last time.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 303 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 58

I get hardly anything from the NRA. I didn't join until after Sandy Hook and they are the biggest game going. They need the numbers so that they have the political strength to get their message out.

I was told that their hope is to get back one donation for every ten mailings. If the NRA isn't leading the fight and the NRA-ILA having a rep for every state, we could very well be even worse off. I know our IL state rep has earned his paycheck the last couple years just lobbying to get CC passed and reasonably acceptable.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Liked 530 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 271

The cost of sending emails is almost nothing, maybe even nothing. So, it is a great way to spend our money. Are they annoying and overwhelming, can be.

Paper snail mail, is a PIA and costs money, I hate it no matter who it is from. It all goes into the garbage. I agree that the NRA could cut back or even eliminate the Snail mail crap, but they have been doing it for decades, so maybe the benefits out-way the negatives?

Email can be effectively stopped with a simple block to your address on your phone or PC. Snail mail, I think is here to stay.

There are ways you can still support the NRA without all the phone calls and Snail Mail garbage, you don't even need to be a member.

Midway USA and other similar sites offer you an option to contribute to the NRA through your order. You can round up to the nearest Dollar and that small bit of change will go directly to the NRA. You can also add whatever dollar amount you wish to contribute. The NRA gets a big check from Midway, you helped the cause and ya did it without the hassle and harassment of being a member.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1752 Times on 907 Posts
Likes Given: 348

guys, the NRA usually does not pay for the different 'opportunities' that are emailed and snail-mailed. they make money from sponsors/partners by co-marketing under the NRA name. it's akin to selling membership mailing lists except I think the NRA makes more

I think it is annoying at times. I don't agree with 100% of all NRA policy and statements, without question. My gun club requires me to maintain an NRA membership so that alone is reason enough for me to be an NRA member. But that's not the only reason. Far from it. As a firearms owner, as someone who believes in my right to self-defense, as a hunter and outdoorsman, as someone who believes the second amendment needs to be left alone - there is NOBODY else watching my back like the NRA.

small price to pay if you ask me.

img_0591.jpg  

Last edited by chloeshooter; 05-09-2014 at 11:53 AM.
People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 500 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 2481

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
There are ways you can still support the NRA without all the phone calls and Snail Mail garbage, you don't even need to be a member.

Midway USA and other similar sites offer you an option to contribute to the NRA through your order. You can round up to the nearest Dollar and that small bit of change will go directly to the NRA. You can also add whatever dollar amount you wish to contribute. The NRA gets a big check from Midway, you helped the cause and ya did it without the hassle and harassment of being a member.
That's true, I do it myself! I can't always afford to make a donation to them. I do it when I can. I always do the rounding up for the NRA though!

Old 05-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #8

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 24

What got me is they sent me a training video and told me if I kept it to send them $, if not I had to send it back to them. I didn't ask for them to send me anything. I just rejoined a few months ago and they are already trying to get me to renew. Agree with the cause, don't like the fluff.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 576

I paid for a life membership. I was surprised that they still send requests for more money.

Married 27 years---I'm starting to think it might work out.
Second Generation N R A Life Member

Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1431 Times on 996 Posts
Likes Given: 716

I never gave them my email address. The trash bin is not far my postal mailbox. That said, I support the NRA without reservations (never mind that they sometimes endorse a Democrat). They are simply the best we have, brothers. I think the NRA is the main reason why 2A has not been altered or repealed.

Last edited by Mercator; 05-09-2014 at 01:10 PM.
People Like This