Dog attack - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Dog attack


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #41
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 2,003
Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Lightbulb Let's Get the Dog Stuff RIGHT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I'm a newbi and just trying to learn. I'm 64 and disabled but can walk OK. I carry pepper spray which won't do much against some dogs. Then they said carry a stick. So I have the leach in my left hand and the stick in my right hand which doesn't seem like a nice walk to me. Then if I get attack by a 120 pound rot wilder he will take that stick from me and kill me and my dog. I saw a rot wilder attack a police office on Utube. So if I shoot the dog chances are I'll go to jail. With all I read it sounds like if you protect yourself in the US you go to jail. If anyone can advise me on what to do and maybe educate myself on gun laws because with my luck if I shoot someone who has a knife at my throat I'll end up in jail.
LostSoul62, I'm afraid you and many people have been misinformed about dogs. All dogs, Rottweilers, pit bulls, German Shepherds all the way down to chihuahuas all have densely-packed nasal cavities with scent-sensitive cells that are on mucous membranes. What this means is that dogs are MORE sensitive to pepper spray than humans. Dog spray (like Mace Brand Muzzle Pepper Spray) is most often less than half of the industry standard put into human defense spray, with the industry standard for human pepper spray being about 2 million SHU (Scoville Heat Units). When human spray is used on animals, you use HALF to get the same debilitating reaction. The myth that dogs are not affected are from people panicking during an attack, spraying wildly and never contacting the dog's muzzle with the pepper spray. Also, instead of carrying a stick, may I suggest an umbrella? Get a small one, attach it to your belt with a breakaway connector, and if you see a dog, you can deploy the umbrella as a shield. Unlike a human, a dog sees an umbrella as a solid object and will try to circle it, not rush it. Even on a rush, you can "feed" the umbrella to the dog (they are only $3-8 at Wal-Mart) and give you time to draw. This umbrella tactic is ideal for multiple dogs, either on your leashes or attacking you, as it "corrals" your dogs and keeps them from attacking and causes the stray dogs from coming at you, giving you time to retreat, reposition, get pepper spray, draw your weapon, whatever.

Secondly, check with your local Attorney General, Sheriff's Department or Police Department and ask them if animals in your state have rights or are they considered property. In the state I used to live in, animals had rights and you had to be justified in your defense. In the state I live in now, animals are property and as long as the owner of the animal does not sue you for property damage, there is no recourse for killing an animal, especially if defending your life.

Your post seems as if you've been watching too much network news or too many liberal YouTube posts! When in doubt, I contact the authorities or my lawyer and find out what the LAW is for my area because NOTHING else matters. All of the stuff the media puts out is sensationalism meant to scare everyone into doing things the way the media feels it should be done, and I'm not buying it.

Finally, it is not only unnecessary to use chemicals like bleach and ammonia on an animal, it is printed on every bottle that it is a CRIME to use it in a way not intended and you can be PROSECUTED. This is called "Chemical Assault" and since 9/11, they take things like this VERY seriously. Do not get caught with a bottle of your own "Home Brew" defense solution, even if you only intended to use it on a dog. I have seen two people get felony convictions for this and it's not worth it. It would be better to draw and fire and get the misdemeanor "discharge of a firearm" from a real @$$hole of a cop and judge than have a plastic spray bottle on you. By the way, a dog's hearing is so finely tuned that the 156 db blast from a muzzle would deafen it temporarily and would make it's head feel like t was going to explode! So even if you miss, it will most likely end the event.
__________________
.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:55 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shoottohit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Default

I have no disagreement with either of you two who posted above me. It just aggregates the he'll out of me when ppl state a single dog breed out specially I breed prolly two of the worst ones. The second I breed is presa canario their heritage was to hunt animals exceeding 300 pounds. Dogs are unbeatable there bigger faster stronger than almost any dog in the world ppl just don't know about them. I'd shoot the dog regardless of size breed or heritage. chances are if it wants you it's gona get you just like everything else in the world.
shoottohit1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shoottohit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

Its NOT the breed its the idiot HUMAN!!

That being said, it seems the idiot human and the attitude/life style that goes with pits is the problem!

**disclaimer**
i know only too well NOT all folks are like this...

Funny story that goes with OP...

Some years back, when training my 100 lb lab. I was riding my bike down the street. Champ (my dog) loping along beside me on his retractable 25' leash. Well this ugly @$$ fuzzy mutt with a piss poor attitude comes charging off a guys porch. All of a sudden i am stuck with a dog fight. (Champ has never been a wilting flower and will DIE before he allows ANYTHING near me...he once took on a 150 lb rot AND a 70 lb lab and whooped 'em both) I look up at the porch and the fat unkempt POS redneck lounging there and i yell "Take control of your damn dog!". His response? Sit of his fat @$$ and laugh at me. I then yell back at him "FINE, YOU WONT CONTROL YOUR FILTHY BEAST.. I WILL!!" as i am drawing the 1911 off my side and lining up the sights.

I have never seen a fat useless redneck move so fast in my life....he came off that porch squealing like a stuck hog. AHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHA!!!
No argument there I live in south Louisiana I seen the same thing when I hit a black mouth curr over the head with a stick and the jelapi came a running for me thought ias gona have to do the same to him hahaha
shoottohit1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #44
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 2,003
Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoottohit1 View Post
I have no disagreement with either of you two who posted above me. It just aggregates the he'll out of me when ppl state a single dog breed out specially I breed prolly two of the worst ones. The second I breed is presa canario their heritage was to hunt animals exceeding 300 pounds. Dogs are unbeatable there bigger faster stronger than almost any dog in the world ppl just don't know about them. I'd shoot the dog regardless of size breed or heritage. chances are if it wants you it's gona get you just like everything else in the world.
Presa Canario are beautiful dogs! I happen to agree with the "Owner not the breed" argument. I've lived with and around dogs all of my life and I've only been bitten by two: My Grandmother's toy poodle and my best friend's sister's chihuahua. Mean, vicious, attack dog breeds! They should all be put down.

A rottweiler and a Great Dane I lived next to for years were protective and never raised a fang to me, five pit bulls I knew were more scared of me than I was of them and the biggest babies I ever knew, and various German Shepherds and doberman pinschers throughout the years have never produced more than slobber. Breeds are created for certain reasons, but the dog still has to be trained to take advantage of those innate abilities and if it's not taught to kill everything it sees, it can be a house pet that rolls around in the grass all day or anything in between.
__________________
.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #45
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fort Wayne,IN
Posts: 3,456
Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default

Quote:
I happen to agree with the "Owner not the breed" argument. I've lived with and around dogs all of my life and I've only been bitten by two: My Grandmother's toy poodle and my best friend's sister's chihuahua. Mean, vicious, attack dog breeds! They should all be put down.

Same here brother...only ever been bit twice myself (in anger or defense now playing with i have been bit a good many times but when i yelled out the poor beast was more hurt that he had hurt me than i was bleeding) Once by a German Shepard, it was kinda my fault as when i turned and took off to catch up to my friend i turned quickly and started running, Sam nailed my right on the back of the knee, when i went down he stopped. I was like 15.

The other time it was a Rot/lab mix, I knew the mutt since he was a pup. I saw my friend and family walking down the street so i rode up on my bike quickly and said HEY! starled poor Dex and with his kids there he immediatley bit first asked questions later, nailed my on the boney side of my knee. When he saw who it was he was, he dropped his head as if to say "oh MAN, SORRY DUDE"


LOVE DOGS, ALL DOGS...i prefer the company of dogs, even the lowliest cur to that of humans.

and LMAO at the Chihuahua being mean viscious attack dogs and should all be put down...ITS TRUE!!!
__________________
"Those that would trade essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security." - Benjammin Franklin

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
fmj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #46
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 7,298
Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Default

TekGreg; Some good information. Never thought about the umbrella. I usually have a can of Whoopass spray handy. 17% but very small. None of the sprays are good in a head wind. Check out the Kimber Pepper Blaster. It will work in wind or rain.
__________________
Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.
JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #47
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
shoottohit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

Presa Canario are beautiful dogs! I happen to agree with the "Owner not the breed" argument. I've lived with and around dogs all of my life and I've only been bitten by two: My Grandmother's toy poodle and my best friend's sister's chihuahua. Mean, vicious, attack dog breeds! They should all be put down.

A rottweiler and a Great Dane I lived next to for years were protective and never raised a fang to me, five pit bulls I knew were more scared of me than I was of them and the biggest babies I ever knew, and various German Shepherds and doberman pinschers throughout the years have never produced more than slobber. Breeds are created for certain reasons, but the dog still has to be trained to take advantage of those innate abilities and if it's not taught to kill everything it sees, it can be a house pet that rolls around in the grass all day or anything in between.
You just stated that all attack dog breeds should be put down but yet you also state that (A rottweiler and a Great Dane I lived next to for years were protective and never raised a fang to me, five pit bulls I knew were more scared of me than I was of them and the biggest babies I ever knew, and various German Shepherds and doberman pinschers throughout the years have never produced more than slobber.) 4 out of the 5 you named are mean vicious attack dogs but you say they have never bothered you. I don't grasp that concept. I have two presa's and two pits that stay at my house they are attack dogs by (just my command) and also if you are a stranger they will bay you up. But with that said you do not need to be on the ten acres my house sits on especially inside my fence that then becomes your problem specially if you touch one of them being that these dogs per dog cost more than What most make in a month. Other than the great Dane the other dogs you named were kings guard dogs fight dogs an or watch dogs. Trained right there subtle with that said trained right they don't know you and you on there property they should eat you
shoottohit1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

There's only one breed I hate. Pomeranian. They're ugly, loud, and obnoxious little SOB's. I've been bitten by 3 dogs, a Neapolitan mastiff that was playing and got a little rough, and 2 dachshunds who actually meant it. I still hate Pomeranians more.

That being said, any animal that has teeth has the potential to bite. While I love dogs (except for the mentioned breed), I will never allow one who is acting aggressive to get the chance to do any damage to me or my family.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #49
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: West, by God, Funroe,Louisiana
Posts: 18,707
Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoottohit1 View Post
You just stated that all attack dog breeds should be put down but yet you also state that (A rottweiler and a Great Dane I lived next to for years were protective and never raised a fang to me, five pit bulls I knew were more scared of me than I was of them and the biggest babies I ever knew, and various German Shepherds and doberman pinschers throughout the years have never produced more than slobber.) 4 out of the 5 you named are mean vicious attack dogs but you say they have never bothered you. I don't grasp that concept. I have two presa's and two pits that stay at my house they are attack dogs by (just my command) and also if you are a stranger they will bay you up. But with that said you do not need to be on the ten acres my house sits on especially inside my fence that then becomes your problem specially if you touch one of them being that these dogs per dog cost more than What most make in a month. Other than the great Dane the other dogs you named were kings guard dogs fight dogs an or watch dogs. Trained right there subtle with that said trained right they don't know you and you on there property they should eat you
I think that was a joke referring to the vicious poodle and murdering chihuahua that were mentioned.
trip286 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #50
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TekGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 2,003
Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoottohit1 View Post
You just stated that all attack dog breeds should be put down but yet you also state that (A rottweiler and a Great Dane I lived next to for years were protective and never raised a fang to me, five pit bulls I knew were more scared of me than I was of them and the biggest babies I ever knew, and various German Shepherds and doberman pinschers throughout the years have never produced more than slobber.) 4 out of the 5 you named are mean vicious attack dogs but you say they have never bothered you. I don't grasp that concept. I have two presa's and two pits that stay at my house they are attack dogs by (just my command) and also if you are a stranger they will bay you up. But with that said you do not need to be on the ten acres my house sits on especially inside my fence that then becomes your problem specially if you touch one of them being that these dogs per dog cost more than What most make in a month. Other than the great Dane the other dogs you named were kings guard dogs fight dogs an or watch dogs. Trained right there subtle with that said trained right they don't know you and you on there property they should eat you
Shoottohit1, that statement that "they should all be put down" was in reference to the vicious toy poodle and chihuahua that attacked me and it was meant to be a sarcastic remark. I should've been clearer with my sarcasm! The rest of the statement is my true feelings - dogs are very loyal and true friends and only act vicious if threatened or directed to do so by their owners.

I agree with your statement that they should protect you and your property - the dogs see your property as theirs as well. Obviously yours are highly trained and will defend quite well. Unfortunately, not all owners are as diligent trainers as you are. It's the untrained or uncontained animals that this thread mostly deals with.
__________________
.
.
“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
TekGreg is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Boob Attack JonM The Club House 9 08-03-2011 05:57 PM
We're under attack!!! robocop10mm The Club House 27 02-19-2010 01:51 PM
Another attack possible MGH Politics, Religion and Controversy 12 09-14-2009 06:08 PM
2A is under attack, so is the 1st spittinfire Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 08-15-2009 01:26 PM
Zoo attack slwarren The Club House 7 01-01-2008 05:22 PM



Newest Threads