Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Dog attack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post

1) Cops LOVE dogs. Wouldn't want to tell a LEO

I shot a dog under any circumstances.
Sure, I love dogs, but every time I need to snare one and get it into the back of my cruiser, I know its taking a bullet before it bites me. The only time I let my guard down around any unleashed dogs is when they are in the back of my cruiser or in the SPCA truck.

BTW, I just had to snare 2 pit bulls that were fighting of a deer carcass. That was "fun".

Old 10-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #22

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by benluby View Post
i was going to recommend the same thing, or, believe it or not, a squirt gun filled with bleach. Never met a dog that didn't haul ass three blocks away after getting a face full of it. But the stun gun would be significantly better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincine View Post
i found this here:

fightingarts.com - some personal observations on dealing with dog attacks: Part 2- if attacked

>for attacks by lone dogs, i'll start with my old standby: a fine repellant for moderately aggressive dogs is a mix of ammonia and tabasco sauce in a small pump sprayer. ammonia alone works almost as well, but you have to use more, and i think the increased dose is enough to cause permanent harm to the dog. The sprayer should be set halfway between stream and mist, so that you get good coverage. It works well when sprayed into the dog's eyes, and even better if you can get it into the mouth and nostrils, too. After you've used it once, all you need to do is flash the bottle at the dog and it will leave you alone. The spray has caused no permanent physical damage to the dogs i've used it on and hardly any discomfort to me.<
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
yes to ammonia, and someone else said bleach. Think of shining a light in a vampires eyes. Spraying extremely strong smelling chemicals in the face of an animal with such a keen and sensitive sense of smell has to be pure agony.

lmao, don't mix the bleach and ammonia..........unless you want to die before you can use it!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 10-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #23

then again, if you can safely mix the two, and are able to "deliver" the combo to the attacking animal, MAKE SURE THAT YOU AND YOUR DOG ARE WEARING GAS MASKS THAT CAN FILTER OUT CHLORINE GAS!

do not do this!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #24

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf

1) Cops LOVE dogs. Wouldn't want to tell a LEO
That didn't seem to stop the cop that shot One of the best dogs I ever owned ON MY PROPERTY!

Everyone gets all high and mighty when it comes to shooting dogs. That sucks. Having to come home to a dead dog blows, especially as a LEO having him shot by a LEO. Again, dog never left my property line...

While a pack of ferrel dogs or a clearly aggressive dog in a suburban neighborhood might need to be shot in defense, I'd spray a dog before I shot it... Believe me you wouldnt want to deal with my family if you killed my dog.

Air horns work, sprays work. Dogs ears and noses are sensitive, attack them there. Besides, unless you see the dog running at you from down the street, chances of you getting off a shot safely in a populated neighborhood is low.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #25

You have a right to protect yourself and your property (your dog on a leash)
My Dad who is about 72 was in the OP's situation.
Two dogs with no leashes agressively running and growling at Dad and his leashed dog.
The two guys with the two unleashed dogs are both screaming at my dad, who is desperately trying to fight them off with a stick while controlling his dog's leash with the other hand.
Asked a local cop about the situation and he said: "If the dogs are going to attack him or his dog, shoot the sucker. You have the right to protect yourself and your property."

Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

this is not a joke,

neighbor has a dog...
the dog went over and killed the other neighbors duck, yes duck,,,,,
5 mintues later 6 police cop cars show up. after the duck was killed!:
you killing a dog???---possible hellicoptors
person????-ATF, every cop, state police, swat, news, newpaper, town.. its just not worth it....

get some bear spray it will knock a dog down within instant. and no harm to the dog.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:01 AM   #27

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
lmao, don't mix the bleach and ammonia..........unless you want to die before you can use it!
HA HA HA!! I didn't mean mix the 2! I meant one or the other! I don't even know what they would do, but I NEVER think it's a good idea to mix chemicals.

Oh crap, the OP hasn't been on in a while... you don't think he tried it do you?

Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttolhurst View Post
While shooting a dog in self-defense will certainly attract police attention, I think the chances you'll be arrested are much lower than shooting a person. As always, do whatever you can to avoid shooting, if possible. But if your choices are limited to being attacked by a vicious animal (canine or human), or using deadly force to defend yourself, then defend yourself. The legal consequences, if any, are not as bad as being mauled or killed.

You should seek out a CCW class in your state; they will educate you in the legal standard for the use of lethal force in your state. There are a number of books on the subject that you may find helpful as well; I still like In the Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob, even though it's a bit dated.

The Gravest Extreme - Very thoughtfully presented material. The responsibility of carrying a firearm is stressed as well as the opportunity to serve those around us.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
HA HA HA!! I didn't mean mix the 2! I meant one or the other! I don't even know what they would do, but I NEVER think it's a good idea to mix chemicals.

Oh crap, the OP hasn't been on in a while... you don't think he tried it do you?

LOL, errrr, uhhh, UH-OH!

a "green cloud" (just kidding) of chlorine gas (not kidding) would erupt.......not necessarily killing the "mixer," but REALLY cleaning out his/her sinuses. BUT, DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF THE TWO CHEMICALS THAT WERE MIXED, AND THE PERCENTAGE OF ACTIVE INGREDIENT, IT COULD HAVE FATAL EFFECTS AND MAKE ALOT OF CHLORINE GAS.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I had my gun on me and a pit charged me I WOULD KILL IT WITH NO PROBLEM.