Dog attack - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Dog attack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadin View Post
My daughter is into canine rescue and is quite knowledgeable about handling dogs. She carries a "stun gun" (zapper) and says that she has yet to find a dog that won't turn tail and run when she triggers it. Doesn't even have to zap the dog. (Something about the loud crackling it puts out.)
I was going to recommend the same thing, or, believe it or not, a squirt gun filled with bleach. Never met a dog that didn't haul ass three blocks away after getting a face full of it. But the stun gun would be significantly better.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #12

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I found this here:

FightingArts.com - Some Personal Observations On Dealing With Dog Attacks: Part 2- If Attacked

>For attacks by lone dogs, I'll start with my old standby: A fine repellant for moderately aggressive dogs is a mix of ammonia and Tabasco sauce in a small pump sprayer. Ammonia alone works almost as well, but you have to use more, and I think the increased dose is enough to cause permanent harm to the dog. The sprayer should be set halfway between stream and mist, so that you get good coverage. It works well when sprayed into the dog's eyes, and even better if you can get it into the mouth and nostrils, too. After you've used it once, all you need to do is flash the bottle at the dog and it will leave you alone. The spray has caused no permanent physical damage to the dogs I've used it on and hardly any discomfort to me.<

Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #13

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I found this here:

FightingArts.com - Some Personal Observations On Dealing With Dog Attacks: Part 2- If Attacked

>For attacks by lone dogs, I'll start with my old standby: A fine repellant for moderately aggressive dogs is a mix of ammonia and Tabasco sauce in a small pump sprayer. Ammonia alone works almost as well, but you have to use more, and I think the increased dose is enough to cause permanent harm to the dog. The sprayer should be set halfway between stream and mist, so that you get good coverage. It works well when sprayed into the dog's eyes, and even better if you can get it into the mouth and nostrils, too. After you've used it once, all you need to do is flash the bottle at the dog and it will leave you alone. The spray has caused no permanent physical damage to the dogs I've used it on and hardly any discomfort to me.<
yes to ammonia, and someone else said bleach. Think of shining a light in a vampires eyes. spraying extremely strong smelling chemicals in the face of an animal with such a keen and sensitive sense of smell has to be pure agony.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 3173

In this part of OK folks take their unwanted dogs to the country and turn them loose. i've been attacked twice while hunting. The small and medium sized dogs soon get eaten by coyotes. The coyotes can't deal one on one with a Pit bull or Rottweiler. Any dog that attacks me is gets shot-period: No if ands or buts.

Friends have had their pets killed and their livestock torn up by dogs. Our county does not have a dog warden. The county sheriff encourages citizens to handle dog problems themselves. If off leash and is pestering pets, livestock or humans it's fair game.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
In this part of OK folks take their unwanted dogs to the country and turn them loose.
It would be far more humane to have a vet euthanize the animal, or if that's too pricey for some people, to shoot the dog than to leave the animal to starvation and predators.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #16

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttolhurst View Post
It would be far more humane to have a vet euthanize the animal, or if that's too pricey for some people, to shoot the dog than to leave the animal to starvation and predators.
Yeah, a stray cat can make it on it's own, dogs after a while just cant make it. Oh, they'll survive for a while, but eventually they will starve or get eaten.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #17
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
In this part of OK folks take their unwanted dogs to the country and turn them loose. i've been attacked twice while hunting. The small and medium sized dogs soon get eaten by coyotes. The coyotes can't deal one on one with a Pit bull or Rottweiler. Any dog that attacks me is gets shot-period: No if ands or buts.

Friends have had their pets killed and their livestock torn up by dogs. Our county does not have a dog warden. The county sheriff encourages citizens to handle dog problems themselves. If off leash and is pestering pets, livestock or humans it's fair game.
Feral dogs are a SERIOUS problem!! They revert to their wild ways but without the natural fear of humans...a VERY dangerous combo.

Quote:
Yeah, a stray cat can make it on it's own, dogs after a while just cant make it. Oh, they'll survive for a while, but eventually they will starve or get eaten.
Not always true. Dogs will revert to their wild ways and pack up. A pack of feral dogs is more dangerous than a pack of wild wolves for reasons stated above.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2108 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 3173

Despite all the coyotes, i see a feral cat now and then while hunting. One came in to my predator caller. The sucker knew that rabbit in distress sound.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #19

Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Y'all must be a better, faster shot than me.

IDK if I could draw, aim, and fire accurately

before the dog ate my arm.

Two things:

1) Cops LOVE dogs. Wouldn't want to tell a LEO

I shot a dog under any circumstances.

2) It seems to me a club or large stick would simply ward off a dog better?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What about some rat shot in a .22 (maybe a .38) revolver? That should be enough to run rover off, probably with no mortal damage unless rover got it in the face. CCI Shotshell Ammunition 22 Long Rifle 31 Grain #12 Shot Box of 20 - MidwayUSA Hard to miss, as well. A hollowpoint round could be loaded every third or fourth chamber, just in case.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.