Dog attack
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Dog attack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dog attack

I'm a newbi and just trying to learn. I'm 64 and disabled but can walk OK. I carry pepper spray which won't do much against some dogs. Then they said carry a stick. So I have the leach in my left hand and the stick in my right hand which doesn't seem like a nice walk to me. Then if I get attack by a 120 pound rot wilder he will take that stick from me and kill me and my dog. I saw a rot wilder attack a police office on Utube. So if I shoot the dog chances are I'll go to jail. With all I read it sounds like if you protect yourself in the US you go to jail. If anyone can advise me on what to do and maybe educate myself on gun laws because with my luck if I shoot someone who has a knife at my throat I'll end up in jail.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #2

While shooting a dog in self-defense will certainly attract police attention, I think the chances you'll be arrested are much lower than shooting a person. As always, do whatever you can to avoid shooting, if possible. But if your choices are limited to being attacked by a vicious animal (canine or human), or using deadly force to defend yourself, then defend yourself. The legal consequences, if any, are not as bad as being mauled or killed.

You should seek out a CCW class in your state; they will educate you in the legal standard for the use of lethal force in your state. There are a number of books on the subject that you may find helpful as well; I still like In the Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob, even though it's a bit dated.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2104 Times on 1152 Posts
Likes Given: 629

You are in AZ which is one of the best states for self defense rights. You are too old and disabled to fight or run so you dont have a lot of options other than to defend yourself with whatever means necessary. Personally, I carry a Sig 238 cocked and locked when I cant carry anything bigger.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #4

I'd find a safer place to walk my dog.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

most communities have leash laws.....if a dog is running loose and attacks, kill the damn thing! The law is on your side.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-02-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 688

i know of a man that shot and killed a dog while walking. he was my wifes neighbor. the dog had apperently snapped at someone before, this time he was walking and the dog came running at him barking. he imediatly dispatched that dog then and there. and there was no problem.. this is from the strict state of NY

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #7

Liked 2605 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

A cop in my home town killed several dogs for charging him while he was walking off duty. People started locking there damn dogs up. If someone was to shoot a dog of mine for charging them I'd have to say the dog deserved it.

I don't know of too many people who can out run a dog and besides running just excites the predatory nature of the dog. Shoot the dog, they are making new dogs everyday.

People are more important than dogs and we shouldn't have to avoid an area just because someone can't keep control of their animals.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #8

Liked 1777 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 1353

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul62 View Post
I carry pepper spray which won't do much against some dogs.
Look into bear spray.

I've had good results using my air-horn to 'discourage' dogs.

Last edited by Vincine; 10-03-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:26 PM   #9

I've been attacked by a dog twice before. Let me jus say I will do anything to make sure I don't get bitten again..

Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #10

My daughter is into canine rescue and is quite knowledgeable about handling dogs. She carries a "stun gun" (zapper) and says that she has yet to find a dog that won't turn tail and run when she triggers it. Doesn't even have to zap the dog. (Something about the loud crackling it puts out.)