Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Do you need a cpl to exercise self defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do you need a cpl to exercise self defense

I noticed in news stories where a self defense shooting occurs, the newspaper is always certain to mention the person had a cpl (if they did have one). To me, the tone of the articles are always that you need a cpl to exercise your right to self defense.

What if you happens if you have a legally owned pistol and you shoot someone in self defense, but you dont have a cpl and it is in public, not in your home? What happens if say you use a shotgun or semi-auto rifle (CPL
s dont cover these) for self defense in public?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

If you cannot carry the firearm legally, then you are screwed. Being under attack and defending yourself does not absolve the felony.

Perhaps I don't understand. Who would be carrying a shotgun in public? Do you mean, like, you drop by the ATM on your way to the club and your hunting rifle is legally stowed in the trunk. Then when you are robbed and have the opportunity to retrieve your rifle, you use it, and what would happen?

Well, the answer also depends on the attitude of your law enforcement agency.

a) Follow the law
b) Defend yourself in any way necessary

Everything else will just work itself out.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-21-2011, 02:49 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Cpl?

I am curious. Am I the only one who doesn't know what a CPL is?

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 AM   #4

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Concealed pistol license (CPL)

Carry a concealed weapon (CCW)

Concealed Handgun License (CHL)

They're all synonymous, based on the terminology of your state.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

CPL = Concealed Pistol License...may differ from a CCW in that certain long arms are not covered under a CPL. Was recently educated on the fact that this is the case in PA...thanks BB.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Ah Hah

Thank you gentlemen. I have a NY, PA, and Utah CCW but was unfamiliar with the term CPL. Thanks.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
If you cannot carry the firearm legally, then you are screwed. Being under attack and defending yourself does not absolve the felony.

Perhaps I don't understand. Who would be carrying a shotgun in public? Do you mean, like, you drop by the ATM on your way to the club and your hunting rifle is legally stowed in the trunk. Then when you are robbed and have the opportunity to retrieve your rifle, you use it, and what would happen?

Well, the answer also depends on the attitude of your law enforcement agency.

a) Follow the law
b) Defend yourself in any way necessary

Everything else will just work itself out.
I mean if your shotgun or rifle is in reach for whatever reason, how would that be viewed? Are handguns the only weapon that can be used in self defense?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
I mean if your shotgun or rifle is in reach for whatever reason, how would that be viewed? Are handguns the only weapon that can be used in self defense?
No, you can use a rock for self defense if it's all you have...the issue is whether the gun used is being lawfully carried at the time. You may not be charged with homicide but you may be charged with unlawful possession of a firearm. The means of self defense should not change the justification of the use of force. Of course the presence of a longarm may bring intent or premeditation into the equation making the self defense claim a bit harder to prove...and you will most likely have to prove that regardless...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
Thank you gentlemen. I have a NY, PA, and Utah CCW but was unfamiliar with the term CPL. Thanks.
Actually in PA you have a License To Carry Firearms (LTCF). Similar to a CPL in that the statutory definition of firearms is as follows:

Quote:
Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.
Those dimensions are important since they define a longarm under Federal law, in short you cannot carry a longarm...only a pistol, very liberally defined.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:13 AM   #10

Self defense is a universal right. I can't imagine a situation where someone would continue to attack when confronted with a shotgun or rifle so the burden of proof, as always, is on the winner. I would say it would be okay if, while standing in your front yard next to your pickup truck you retrieve your AK or AR and hose a carload of gangbangers who have stopped in the road to shoot up your residence.... do the world a favor, take cover and return fire. If an assailant fires first any long gun use would be permissible with the exception of a back shot. Do not say he was turning around and firing, the musculature assessment during the autopsy will confirm that he wasn't, unless he really was......hold your fire.

In Public, like mcdonalds,the mall parking lot etc., if you are under fire or someone is on a murdering rampage there shouldn't be any sanctions for retrieving a lawfully owned weapon.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Last edited by 556plinker; 04-21-2011 at 04:20 AM. Reason: in public