Do the States have the right to restrict firearms? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Do the States have the right to restrict firearms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2538 Times on 1541 Posts
Likes Given: 2619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Incorporation is the term you are talking about. I am on my phone and can't search well but Google "2A incorporated constitution" and i think you will find some legal opinions on the issue.
Incorporation is an interesting concept. I believe incorporation amounts to simply recognizing what was already true, that the amendment in question DOES apply to the States. Some people, including some important people on the Supreme Court, have had the opinion that some parts of the Bill of Rights DO NOT apply to the States or that some amendments only apply in a limited way. I disagree in many cases.

My question in this thread is not "What is the law of the land that we are stuck with?" My question is "What do you, the reader/poster, think about this subject?"

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 AM   #12

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

To put it simply, state laws can be unConstitutional. I believe that may be the root of your question.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #13

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
To put it simply, state laws can be unConstitutional. I believe that may be the root of your question.
Can they take away our right to free speech?

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #14

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Well, it's almost that simple. You are correct that Fed laws and State laws are not the same. Fed laws are for all. State laws are for that State.

However, States cannot pass laws that violate the Constitution. I maintain that 2A overrules all of the other legislation the restricts arms for law abiding citizens. The recent NY laws are an example of what I believe are unconstitutional legislation.

That is just my opinion. Others maintain that the States have the right to restrict firearms.

What is your opinion on this? And why?
The state passes a law and then it is there to be challenged, simple. Just get thrown in jail and start writing checks to challenged it. It is not real complicated.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Can they take away our right to free speech?
Stricktly speaking, no. As I said state laws can be found unConstitutional. The recent NRA legal cases involving D.C. and Chicago come to mind as examples of 2A related topics.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
The state passes a law and then it is there to be challenged, simple. Just get thrown in jail and start writing checks to challenged it. It is not real complicated.
True as a practical matter. That is how things are actually happening. Should it be that way? Should a person have to sacrifice their life savings and their liberty for an extended period of time to overturn a law that should never have existed in the first place? Is that what the founders intended? Or the States at that time?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 02-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #17

A good sized list of a number of state laws that would be ruled unConstitutional as well as very short descriptions on each.

http://law.justia.com/constitution/us/047-state-laws-held-unconstitutional.html

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 02-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #18
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

According to the Second Ammendment of the U.S Constitution, no one has the right to regulate firearms

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
People Like This 
Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #19

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
True as a practical matter. That is how things are actually happening. Should it be that way? Should a person have to sacrifice their life savings and their liberty for an extended period of time to overturn a law that should never have existed in the first place? Is that what the founders intended? Or the States at that time?
I bet Zimmerman is still writing his name on the back of the checks not the front.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
A good sized list of a number of state laws that would be ruled unConstitutional as well as very short descriptions on each.

http://law.justia.com/constitution/us/047-state-laws-held-unconstitutional.html
A VERY good sized list indeed! Here is one excerpt that contains an interesting phrase:
"500. Bibb v. Navajo Freight Lines, 359 U.S. 520 (1959).

Illinois statute which requires trucks and trailers operating on state highways to be equipped with specified type of rear fender mud-guard, which is different from those permitted in at least 45 other States, and which would seriously interfere with "interline operations" of motor carriers cannot validly be applied to interstate motor carriers certified by the Interstate Commerce Commission, for the reason that interstate commerce is unreasonably burdened thereby."

One wonders whether much of the gun ban style legislation should be set aside "for the reason that RKBA is unreasonably burdened thereby"...

Balota