Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Disturbing the peace.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I wonder if you went to talk to the neighbors if something could be resolved. Maybe they had a child napping at that time of day. Who knows. Maybe you two can come to some agreement as to when you can shoot. If they say they don't want you shooting at all..........well, then there's a problem
Exactly. If thats the route they wanna take, then the only answer is bigger & louder. Teach them that compromise works.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 AM   #22

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

If the police said you could do it the next day, maybe there's an ordinance for noise on certain days, ie Sundays for example

Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #23

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

Aww. Someone beat me to making the reference to Ann Arbor, home of the University of Michigan and the most liberal city in Michigan. I went to the Washtenaw community college police a academy and could not even carry the practice guns in our holsters outside of the indoor range so we would not disturb the other students there. The practice guns were bright blue!
It has been a few years since I was in the academy but the legal instructor briefed us on laws pending in the city including one that made it a civil infraction to leave certain pets alone for more than 4 hours!
Check the township or village ordinances and be sure which one the property lies in. Check who the taxes are paid to. Many people mistake their political jurisdiction with their postal address. They have nothing to do with each other. Then ask for a copy of the ordinances and read them. Highlight any that pertain to noise/shooting. Follow the rules and have the ordinances ready to show a deputy if needed.
I wouldn't rely on the expertise of a deputy to determine the rules. They can't possibly remember them all for 16 townships (that is avg amount for a Mi county. I don't know how many Wash Co has) and several cities. Just the rules for Ann Arbor must be mind boggling. Throw in U of M (separate jurisdiction) and Ypsilanti and you are past the retention capacity of most!
While it is most common for someone to make an anonymous complaint on something like this (you are armed and probably considered dangerous), if the caller did leave their info, you could get it and call them to see if there was a middle ground to not annoy them and still have trigger time.
You could get a suppressor but that is a lot of $$ and I highly doubt anyone in that county will sign off on it even though the use is to keep the peace. You would have to form a trust.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #24
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1748 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
I was all good on that. The land owner was in the house. He is just as pissed as I am.
I didnt even think to refuse to stop. She told me to stop. I even said wtf, there is 15 acrs here. I can hunt here but not shoot paper till I'm blue in the face. She said yep your disturbing the peace. You have to stop till tomarow.
What? What the heck does stopping till tomorrow accomplish other than allowing the officer to be able to avoid further griping from the neighbors? Next time make sure you get a clear statement about what the limitations are (x rounds per day? no rapid fire? ...) and what the legal basis is for those limitations. Disturbing the peace can be kind of a catch-all for restrictions on activities that are not otherwise illegal.

You might consider going over to visit this neighbor (unarmed would be a nice gesture, but up to you ) Find out what their issue really is. Maybe they have a colicky baby and the gunfire wakes the kid up. Maybe someone there has serious PTSD that gets triggered by gunfire. Or maybe they're just anti-gun whiners.

They say good fences make good neighbors. I think good communication may also make good neighbors.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #25

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
What? What the heck does stopping till tomorrow accomplish other than allowing the officer to be able to avoid further griping from the neighbors? Next time make sure you get a clear statement about what the limitations are (x rounds per day? no rapid fire? ...) and what the legal basis is for those limitations. Disturbing the peace can be kind of a catch-all for restrictions on activities that are not otherwise illegal.

You might consider going over to visit this neighbor (unarmed would be a nice gesture, but up to you ) Find out what their issue really is. Maybe they have a colicky baby and the gunfire wakes the kid up. Maybe someone there has serious PTSD that gets triggered by gunfire. Or maybe they're just anti-gun whiners.

They say good fences make good neighbors. I think good communication may also make good neighbors.
Hey, when you're over there why don't you invite them to come over and shoot? It couldn't hurt and at least they would know you aren't some dumb hillbilly who just likes to shoot so he can hear a loud bang. (Or are you?)

Old 03-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 832 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 179

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752 View Post
Aww. Someone beat me to making the reference to Ann Arbor, home of the University of Michigan and the most liberal city in Michigan.
And thanks to UoM specifically named exclusion in state law, anti-gun.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

If you were not breaking any laws, why did you have to stop shooting? Sounds like the officer was just trying to make the problem go away for the duration of his shift. That is just plain lazy. If it is legal to shoot, then it is legal to shoot...PERIOD.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #28

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
If you were not breaking any laws, why did you have to stop shooting? Sounds like the officer was just trying to make the problem go away for the duration of his shift. That is just plain lazy. If it is legal to shoot, then it is legal to shoot...PERIOD.
I think your rite about that. Can I go to jail for disturbing the peace?

Old 03-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default A definite maybe, but doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
I think your rite about that. Can I go to jail for disturbing the peace?
First, I'm NOT an attorney in my home state, much less Michigan so don't take this to be legal advice. If you want legal advice consult with an attorney licensed in your state. Having said that I'd suggest (* see note below) setting up one or more wireless video cameras with audio as well as getting a digital tape recorder and turning it on the next time you see police arrive when you're shooting, assuming, of course that you plan to, I know I would. Ask the officer/deputy, "What law am I breaking?" If he/she answers in the negative like the first one, wish them to have a nice day and please advise the complainant that you aren't breaking any laws, have a safe backstop, etc. and they need not call anymore. If they don't leave, ask them if they'd like to shoot with you, since their legal purpose for being on the property has been concluded. Unless they are REALLY badge heavy they will leave.

If they refuse to leave or advise the neighbor and threaten to arrest you, ask them, "For what? You've already admitted that I was not breaking any law." No matter what they say, or whether they arrest you or not, you'll have it documented that, according to the officer(s), you are not breaking any law by shooting. Make copies of the video (and audio recordings unless it's deleted or confiscated, neither of which will bode well for them in a civil rights violation suit, then consult with and retain an attorney.

Most importantly, join the Armed Citizen Legal Defense Fund. They have a list of attorneys who are experienced in defending clients gun rights and are pro gun (some attorneys are rabidly anti-gun). Having legal insurance and expert witnesses available and just a phone call away brings a LOT of peace of mind. It really helps if you've already consulted an attorney on the ACLDF list and have some of their cards to hand to officers in the future in similar circumstances.

* Make sure you can legally record others without their knowledge or consent in Michigan. It's legal in Alabama.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

* I forgot to say, there's an old saying, "You may beat the wrap, but you can't beat the ride."