Disturbing the peace.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Disturbing the peace.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

Default Disturbing the peace.

I went out shooting today at my inlaws property and had the cops come out and tell me to stop because I was disturbing the peace. Is there anything I can do about panzy ass neighbors that dont like guns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1855 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Get a silencer.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21436 Times on 12170 Posts
Likes Given: 53431

depends on where your in laws live. are they within the city limits? if so, then there may be an ordinance against it. how close are the neighbors? close enough they have concern about a stray shot. you need to find out what the ordinances state, then if in compliance and are able to shoot legally, then there isn't anything they can do about it. having a copy of the ordinances will help and remember they can only enforce the law, not make it.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #4

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

unfortunately, it's not possible to tell you unless we know where you live and whether or not you're in city limits.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

You don't say where/when this occurred . Depending upon the state/municipality/time of day - even day of the week - it all has a bearing upon the PD response. (I'm presuming you were able to resolve the situation amicably, BTW ! ) Most cops - particularly in rural areas, want to resolve-not create- "issues", IMO ! IOW, demonstration of your concerns for safety might go a hell of a long way with the cops ! Plus label the complainant as a "kook" as well ! >MW

Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #6

Yeah my bad guys, sorry. I was in manchester which is in washtenaw county in michigan. I was shooting at 3 pm. The sherif said I wasn't breaking any laws. Everything I was doing was legal. I could shoot again tomarow but I had to stop for today.

Last edited by Josh1158; 03-10-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh1158 View Post
Yeah my bad guys, sorry. I was in manchester which is in washtenaw county in michigan. The sherif said I wasn't breaking any laws. Everything I was doing was legal. I could shoot again tomarow but I had to stop for today.
If that's the case (and you really should verify for yourself, never take the word of an officer where the law is concerned, they're only enforcers, not creators, and they are human - they make mistakes too)

But if it's indeed not against the law, then it's up to you. If they show up and ask you to stop - you can refuse. If it's not against the law, they cannot tell you to stop.

You may end up with a battle on your hands, but you will have to be the one who measures which you'd rather deal with - an argument with your neighbors, or submitting to the request of a police officer that has no bearing on the law

Old 03-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21436 Times on 12170 Posts
Likes Given: 53431

not for sure if this has any real bearing on the matter, but going to throw it out here anyways. his in laws are the property owners/tenants, so technically he is a guest of the owner/tenant. beings they are his in laws, i am making the assumption he has permission, but maybe the in laws need to express the fact he has permission to shoot on their property.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
not for sure if this has any real bearing on the matter, but going to throw it out here anyways. his in laws are the property owners/tenants, so technically he is a guest of the owner/tenant. beings they are his in laws, i am making the assumption he has permission, but maybe the in laws need to express the fact he has permission to shoot on their property.
that certainly is possible - but if he has a lease agreement to live there, my first thought would be, unless its stated in the lease, then all normal ownership rights would transfer to him.

In other words, unless the lease says "no guns allowed" he should be able to do it, but again, that would depend 100% on all local laws

Old 03-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #10

I was all good on that. The land owner was in the house. He is just as pissed as I am.
I didnt even think to refuse to stop. She told me to stop. I even said wtf, there is 15 acrs here. I can hunt here but not shoot paper till I'm blue in the face. She said yep your disturbing the peace. You have to stop till tomarow.