Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   A different look at firearm sales (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/different-look-firearm-sales-36157/)

yankee 12-29-2010 03:44 AM

A different look at firearm sales

Here is a concept of how firearm sales could be. Please don’tj just jump out against this idea. I am throwing this out their for everyone to talk about.

How about getting rid of all of these permits to purchase firearms? I live New Jersey. I had to go through the Firearms ID card process (it took 9 months to get mine!) and now I have to get permit so that I can purchase a handgun that I want. This is ridiculous. I am a law-abiding citizen and the government does not have the right to tell me if I can or cannot purchase a firearm. We all know this because we can read. This system needs to go away.

On the other end of the spectrum, the dealer selling me the handgun or another firearm has a responsibility to take reasonable steps to make sure I am a law-abiding citizen. This reasonable step could be a NICS background check. I am not clear exactly what the NICS background check checks, but if it only checks guilty verdicts and innocents due to insanity, I would support it since a right is taken through a court of law. Also, the check is very quick, just a few minutes, from what I hear. It won’t take 9 months or, if New Jersey “Law Enforcement” obeyed the law, 30 days.

Doing this nationwide would take away cities’ and states’ power from trumping the Second Amendment, as was in Chicago and D.C. People could purchase firearms everywhere in the country. And if enforced, it would stop criminals and the mentally insane from obtaining firearms; something both pro and anti-gun supporters want. Now anti-gun supporters don’t want anyone to have any firearms. They could move if they don't like the constitution. Please weigh in or correct me if I am wrong anywhere. I think this could bring some good discussion out.

c3shooter 12-29-2010 04:19 AM

I bought a rifle today. In Virginia. Arm wrestled with the dealer over price, and we reached an agreement. Filled out the 4473, handed him my driver's license and my Virginia CCW. Went outside and had a smoke. Came back in, wrote him a check, shook hands, took my rifle and left.

Translation- the problem is New Jersey. What I just described is most of the US. Suggest you start working to hire a decent Governor, and fire a few members of the legislature. :rolleyes:

BombDoc 12-29-2010 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yankee (Post 411024)
Here is a concept of how firearm sales could be. Please don’tj just jump out against this idea. I am throwing this out their for everyone to talk about.

How about getting rid of all of these permits to purchase firearms? I live New Jersey. I had to go through the Firearms ID card process (it took 9 months to get mine!) and now I have to get permit so that I can purchase a handgun that I want. This is ridiculous. I am a law-abiding citizen and the government does not have the right to tell me if I can or cannot purchase a firearm. We all know this because we can read. This system needs to go away.

On the other end of the spectrum, the dealer selling me the handgun or another firearm has a responsibility to take reasonable steps to make sure I am a law-abiding citizen. This reasonable step could be a NICS background check. I am not clear exactly what the NICS background check checks, but if it only checks guilty verdicts and innocents due to insanity, I would support it since a right is taken through a court of law. Also, the check is very quick, just a few minutes, from what I hear. It won’t take 9 months or, if New Jersey “Law Enforcement” obeyed the law, 30 days.

Doing this nationwide would take away cities’ and states’ power from trumping the Second Amendment, as was in Chicago and D.C. People could purchase firearms everywhere in the country. And if enforced, it would stop criminals and the mentally insane from obtaining firearms; something both pro and anti-gun supporters want. Now anti-gun supporters don’t want anyone to have any firearms. They could move if they don't like the constitution. Please weigh in or correct me if I am wrong anywhere. I think this could bring some good discussion out.

The issue you are having with Jersey is just that; a Jersey issue. As you said if they don't like something they can move. The same applies.

The laws are different where I live so I have never dealt with that.

That check is much like a local records check; however, it is not limited to local database restrictions. The database is federal and let's face it, every system has flaws. I know from personal experience of a few things that can delay you each time you purchase. I have learned to accept it and laugh when it doesn't delay me. People with certain security clearances almost always flag and get delayed. It does take a minute or two if all goes well.

Of course checking for what you are mentioning regarding the sanity/mental health of a potential firearms purchaser is not going to happen anytime soon; if ever. The infrastructure is not in place to support such a check. HIPAA laws prohibit such a database from existing. The exception to that prohibition is when one's medical history becomes a part of their criminal history. This has been a big issue within several communities. Those proposed mental health restrictions would mean that many LEOs and Military Members would no longer be allowed to serve.

Jo da Plumbr 12-29-2010 04:26 AM

Makes me rather suspicious when someone's first post is trying to stir things up in the legal active forum. Is this your only reason to come here? To try to start somthing?

billdeserthills 12-29-2010 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 411035)
Makes me rather suspicious when someone's first post is trying to stir things up in the legal active forum. Is this your only reason to come here? To try to start somthing?

Good Question,
So Yankee you ought to visit a free state, see how things get done somewhere the gov't doesnt hafta keep ya on a short leash

doctherock 12-29-2010 06:01 AM

I went into Washington state, right across the river from me, walked into big 5 sports, said I wanted the Mossberg 500 they had. In less than 15 minutes I was walking out with my prize. I love not living in one of the original colonies. You would think since you were on the East coast with all the history and what not with our founding fathers that you would have more freedom. I guess all those asshat politicians over there forget their roots.

TimL2952 12-29-2010 06:28 AM

Well....I live just outside Buffalo, New York and people are always calling NY "just as bad as California"...well let me tell you...they mean New York CITY......jersey is way worse...to get a handgun here you just need a handgun permit and a background check which still takes way too long....then ya walk in, give the guy the paperwork and some cash and ya head home...for a long gun its the same minus the paperwork.

willfully armed 12-29-2010 07:47 AM

Agreed on this- if you don't like native law, MOVE!

I am a fan of VA's ccw purchase. Hopefully KS will be soon to follow. Although I just learned of a KS FFL dealer who recently sold a gun sans a phonecall because the purchaser flashed a ccw permit. Which could ultimately lead to this dealer losing his license.

Ubergopher 12-29-2010 09:49 AM

My favorite part about the system we have now is that whole state's rights thing. I'm a big fan of that.

winds-of-change 12-29-2010 09:58 AM

I live in Illinois. I applied for my FOID card, got it in about 4 weeks and was able to go buy my gun.