You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

DHS Checkpoints

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1346 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default DHS Checkpoints

I just finished watching the You Tube video: "Top DHS checkpoint refusals". Seems to me that even though these people were eventually allowed to go, they were playing a dangerous game. Now, I agree with the sentiment that the govt. has too much power, etc., but isn't some of this necessary? If we don't want potential pest-carrying fruit in our country ruining our crops, or illegal immigrants running around, how are we supposed to do that?
There appears to be a VERY fine line between what they CAN do legally & illegally, and what they CAN'T or WON'T push when questioned on it. How foes one tell the difference? ON of my potential problems with the situation in the video was they appeared to be checkpoints WITHIN the US. Which sounds wrong, and could be the basis for the refusal to cooperate. The video was vague on whether this was the case, or not.

How do you "respect the authority" yet refuse it at the same time? A lot of this has been ingrained in us since we were little kids, and it just feels very dangerous to not do what the authorities say. But as I grow older, I feel more and more that a lot of that authority is abused, or not legal in the first place. But never forget, ultimately, they hold more power at that moment than you do.

Opinions?
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 04-02-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 810 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Those videos are usually done at what are known as internal checkpoints which are checkpoints that are usually about 30+ miles inside our border. While I understand what they are trying to do I feel they go about it the wrong way and vice versa with CBP there is no reason for checkpoints on American soil except on the actual border.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #3

Liked 316 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I hit a boarder patrol check point near my house nearly every day and my wife goes through two every day that she works. She always complies since she is afraid to get beaten or killed. I will answer the question am I a citizen, but I always refuse to answer anymore questions siting my status as a citizen. I guess it helps that most days I have a tie on and am driving a car that is insured for $90,000.00 and looks it.
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #4

Liked 236 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 101

They have a 100 mile wide band along the borders in which the fourth amendment is suspended, giving them quite an advantage over you. So with all this power, just how many "terrorists" have they caught? One would think it would make the headlines from time to time. But not much gets mentioned. Perhaps they will make a drug bust or find a DUI or two.
orangello Likes This 
Old 04-02-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 496 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 975

I completely disagree with the checkpoints inside our borders. They have no right to force us to stop and answer their questions. Those borders operate on the idea that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent. I believe in "innocent until proven guilty", and thus think that those checkpoints are ridiculous. Most people don't care though, and so they'll continue to do it. If everyone refused to answer, they would close down those checkpoints in a heartbeat.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 04-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

Liked 316 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 66

This happened about 40 miles from my house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nZN4KryFuzY
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1773 Times on 991 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
I completely disagree with the checkpoints inside our borders. They have no right to force us to stop and answer their questions. Those borders operate on the idea that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent. I believe in "innocent until proven guilty", and thus think that those checkpoints are ridiculous. Most people don't care though, and so they'll continue to do it. If everyone refused to answer, they would close down those checkpoints in a heartbeat.
So how would you protect our borders?
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #8

Liked 2229 Times on 1531 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I hear about DHS catching "terrorists" all the time. None of these terrorists belong to any organizations. They are people who are weak minded. DHS agents pretend to be terrorist recruiters and they find weak, lonely people to set up as terrorists. DHS has never found a real organized, sleeper cell.
People Like This 
Old 04-02-2014, 07:57 PM   #9

Liked 5760 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 4889

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I hear about DHS catching "terrorists" all the time. None of these terrorists belong to any organizations. They are people who are weak minded. DHS agents pretend to be terrorist recruiters and they find weak, lonely people to set up as terrorists. DHS has never found a real organized, sleeper cell.
This is what I have heard. I WOULD like to hear from DHS on the results of these roadside interrogation centers within the U.S.A.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 496 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
So how would you protect our borders?
If it's actually on the border, then checkpoints are fine. But these are checkpoints well inside the United States. People who never travel into Mexico are stopped daily simply for traveling throughout the country.

*EDIT not to mention, the fact that they let you go if you refuse to answer their questions long enough proves that they don't really have the right to stop you. If they did, they would detain you and arrest you. Instead, people are just willing to give up information. I don't want to give off the wrong impression that I'm okay with people illegally immigrating into the US. I think we need much stricter policies and need to start kicking people out. But forcing people to stop on their way to work or on their vacation inside the US is wrong.

Last edited by Franklin1995; 04-02-2014 at 08:03 PM.
clr8ter Likes This