Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   DHS Checkpoints (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/dhs-checkpoints-105746/)

clr8ter 04-02-2014 03:39 PM

DHS Checkpoints

I just finished watching the You Tube video: "Top DHS checkpoint refusals". Seems to me that even though these people were eventually allowed to go, they were playing a dangerous game. Now, I agree with the sentiment that the govt. has too much power, etc., but isn't some of this necessary? If we don't want potential pest-carrying fruit in our country ruining our crops, or illegal immigrants running around, how are we supposed to do that?
There appears to be a VERY fine line between what they CAN do legally & illegally, and what they CAN'T or WON'T push when questioned on it. How foes one tell the difference? ON of my potential problems with the situation in the video was they appeared to be checkpoints WITHIN the US. Which sounds wrong, and could be the basis for the refusal to cooperate. The video was vague on whether this was the case, or not.

How do you "respect the authority" yet refuse it at the same time? A lot of this has been ingrained in us since we were little kids, and it just feels very dangerous to not do what the authorities say. But as I grow older, I feel more and more that a lot of that authority is abused, or not legal in the first place. But never forget, ultimately, they hold more power at that moment than you do.

Opinions?

seancslaughter 04-02-2014 04:06 PM

Those videos are usually done at what are known as internal checkpoints which are checkpoints that are usually about 30+ miles inside our border. While I understand what they are trying to do I feel they go about it the wrong way and vice versa with CBP there is no reason for checkpoints on American soil except on the actual border.

WonderingMind 04-02-2014 04:53 PM

I hit a boarder patrol check point near my house nearly every day and my wife goes through two every day that she works. She always complies since she is afraid to get beaten or killed. I will answer the question am I a citizen, but I always refuse to answer anymore questions siting my status as a citizen. I guess it helps that most days I have a tie on and am driving a car that is insured for $90,000.00 and looks it.

JWagner 04-02-2014 05:28 PM

They have a 100 mile wide band along the borders in which the fourth amendment is suspended, giving them quite an advantage over you. So with all this power, just how many "terrorists" have they caught? One would think it would make the headlines from time to time. But not much gets mentioned. Perhaps they will make a drug bust or find a DUI or two.

Franklin1995 04-02-2014 07:23 PM

I completely disagree with the checkpoints inside our borders. They have no right to force us to stop and answer their questions. Those borders operate on the idea that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent. I believe in "innocent until proven guilty", and thus think that those checkpoints are ridiculous. Most people don't care though, and so they'll continue to do it. If everyone refused to answer, they would close down those checkpoints in a heartbeat.

WonderingMind 04-02-2014 07:25 PM

This happened about 40 miles from my house:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nZN4KryFuzY

Doc3402 04-02-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin1995 (Post 1547334)
I completely disagree with the checkpoints inside our borders. They have no right to force us to stop and answer their questions. Those borders operate on the idea that everyone is guilty until they prove they are innocent. I believe in "innocent until proven guilty", and thus think that those checkpoints are ridiculous. Most people don't care though, and so they'll continue to do it. If everyone refused to answer, they would close down those checkpoints in a heartbeat.

So how would you protect our borders?

John_Deer 04-02-2014 07:55 PM

I hear about DHS catching "terrorists" all the time. None of these terrorists belong to any organizations. They are people who are weak minded. DHS agents pretend to be terrorist recruiters and they find weak, lonely people to set up as terrorists. DHS has never found a real organized, sleeper cell.

orangello 04-02-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1547368)
I hear about DHS catching "terrorists" all the time. None of these terrorists belong to any organizations. They are people who are weak minded. DHS agents pretend to be terrorist recruiters and they find weak, lonely people to set up as terrorists. DHS has never found a real organized, sleeper cell.

This is what I have heard. I WOULD like to hear from DHS on the results of these roadside interrogation centers within the U.S.A.

Franklin1995 04-02-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 1547360)
So how would you protect our borders?

If it's actually on the border, then checkpoints are fine. But these are checkpoints well inside the United States. People who never travel into Mexico are stopped daily simply for traveling throughout the country.

*EDIT not to mention, the fact that they let you go if you refuse to answer their questions long enough proves that they don't really have the right to stop you. If they did, they would detain you and arrest you. Instead, people are just willing to give up information. I don't want to give off the wrong impression that I'm okay with people illegally immigrating into the US. I think we need much stricter policies and need to start kicking people out. But forcing people to stop on their way to work or on their vacation inside the US is wrong.