Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > denied and hating it

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default denied and hating it

heres a question for all of you wonderful gun toting Americans. I applied for a concealed weapons permit in richmond va. I was denied. I have a court date the 23 of may. i was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and if so, what can i expect in the oral hearing? i have a mouthful to say to the man that says i cant protect my life, and the lives of my loved ones, I just wanted to know the protocol. thanks if you can help!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2008, 07:52 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

why were you denied?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:00 AM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Research the laws for the county you live in as they pertain to CCW permits.

Check out http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/ and click on Virginia. Page 2 has info on carrying and why you might have been declined for a permit. It would be helpful to know specifically why you were denied, so call whatever office has your application and politely ask for the reason.

While I personally agree with you that there is no constitutional basis for states curtailing the Supreme Law of the Land, you won't do yourself any favors if you go in and verbally let loose on the local county clerk or sheriff or whoever denied your application. Dress well and show respect for the court and the process. Calmly and politely state your position.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Is this court date concerning the application? If not, that's probably the reason you were turned down. If you're in court for something more than a misdemeanor or it involves "domestic violence," you can forget ever getting the permit unless you have your record cleared.

If you've been misidentified as someone else, then a little research and time at the court house should solve the problem.

Again, research your laws. Don't go in "guns blazing" as it were, seeking a confrontation. Best to be in possession of all the facts first.

9x18=Makarov

Old 05-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #5

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfire View Post
heres a question for all of you wonderful gun toting Americans. I applied for a concealed weapons permit in richmond va. I was denied. I have a court date the 23 of may. i was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, and if so, what can i expect in the oral hearing? i have a mouthful to say to the man that says i cant protect my life, and the lives of my loved ones, I just wanted to know the protocol. thanks if you can help!!
Well that sucks hope you get everything worked out GOOD LUCK TO YOU

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8622 Times on 3735 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Virginia is a "shall issue" state. Unless you have a disqualifier (those things that would disqualify you from owning a gun-mental illness, felony conviction, domestic violence, illegal alien, etc) or have not met training requirements, or have been mis-identified (Sorry- that's not me) the court must issue. If you are turned down, they must tell you why. And in Virginia, it is not up to the Sheriff or Chief of Police, it is the Circuit Court of the jurisdiction you live in. So- back to the question- why denied? If legit mistake, dress neatly, speak politely, have your evidence, make your case in a businesslike manner. Or scream at the judge, and get to meet C.T. Woody, man in charge of the Richmond jail.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 PM   #7

no no guys, I am upset, but not a moron. screaming at the judge would definetly make matters worse. I honestly cannot understand why i was turned down. I have no felonies, and am not even a violent person. so no disqualifiers in that department. I did make a serious mistake in o4' and got convicted of a DUI. but the Va constitution says that if a person has been convicted of drunkeness in the past three years(from the date of the application) he or she cannot get a concealed permit. However, that was over three years ago. If this was why I was turned down, then that would be unconstitutional. I intend to calmly explain to the judge that a young man can seriously mature in three years, as I have. Other than that, I have no idea why the judge denied me. The letter from the clerks office didnt state why I was turned down. So i dont know. Courts the last place on earth I rather be, so naturally I am nervous. Just thought I'd ask some good people who may have had this experience.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfire View Post
no no guys, I am upset, but not a moron. screaming at the judge would definetly make matters worse. I honestly cannot understand why i was turned down. I have no felonies, and am not even a violent person. so no disqualifiers in that department. I did make a serious mistake in o4' and got convicted of a DUI. but the Va constitution says that if a person has been convicted of drunkeness in the past three years(from the date of the application) he or she cannot get a concealed permit. However, that was over three years ago. If this was why I was turned down, then that would be unconstitutional. I intend to calmly explain to the judge that a young man can seriously mature in three years, as I have. Other than that, I have no idea why the judge denied me. The letter from the clerks office didnt state why I was turned down. So i dont know. Courts the last place on earth I rather be, so naturally I am nervous. Just thought I'd ask some good people who may have had this experience.
I was never denied,so I cannot offer any suggestions other than that here in NY at least, if someone is denied, they have the right to request the reason for denial in writing. You should request it. In some localities the licensing authorities purposely make it as hard as possible to obtain a CCW permit in the hopes that the applicant will give up. Don't give up!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 05-18-2008, 10:25 PM   #9

Supposing that all you've said is true (and understand that I do believe you, I'm just answering hypothetically), then the only way to lose is to quit. Or maybe going postal, "proving" a propensity for violent behavior.

Hey, RL357Mag, "Upstate NY" is a pretty big area. I'm just outside of Clinton in southeastern Oneida County. Glad to see another one of us! LOL!

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country... Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered. ...A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason."

~ Thomas Paine, January, 1776, from "Common Sense"

Old 05-19-2008, 02:00 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMCXJ View Post
Supposing that all you've said is true (and understand that I do believe you, I'm just answering hypothetically), then the only way to lose is to quit. Or maybe going postal, "proving" a propensity for violent behavior.

Hey, RL357Mag, "Upstate NY" is a pretty big area. I'm just outside of Clinton in southeastern Oneida County. Glad to see another one of us! LOL!
How ya doin TMCXJ - I'm in Washington Co. on the Vt. border. I got my permit downstate when I lived in Dutchess Co. I've lived in Westchester, Putnam, and Dutchess Co's. I was surprised to learn that there are more Liberals up here than there were in Putnam and Dutchess Co's !!! I think it's time for another move - preferably the F$#@ out of NY!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"