Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Legal and Activism (
-   -   Democrats, NRA reach deal on gun bill (

opaww 06-10-2007 11:19 AM

Democrats, NRA reach deal on gun bill

Measure stiffening background checks would be 1st major reform since '94

Senior Democrats have reached agreement with the National Rifle Association on what could be the first federal gun-control legislation since 1994, a measure to significantly strengthen the national system that checks the backgrounds of gun buyers.

allmons 06-10-2007 02:16 PM

Why do we keep collaborating with the enemy?
I am SO SICK of making agreements with people who want to steal our Second Amendment Rights and TAKE AWAY OUR GUNS.

Unlike many in this country, I don't think ANY gun control laws are legal.

RONSERESURPLUS 06-10-2007 04:52 PM

DemoRats and NRA Reach DeaL?
Hello all

I'll have to read a lot more into this "DEAL"? Like so many things nthe NRA has done for us, I have to look if a Knife is sticking out of my back? They have sold us out so many times before, I don't find a lot of promise in this new deal! Remember, making deals with those that want to eliminate your rights is NEVER SMART!

bkt 06-10-2007 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by allmons (Post 2933)
Unlike many in this country, I don't think ANY gun control laws are legal.

Strictly speaking, no gun control laws are legal.

In Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105 (1943), the Supreme Court ruled:
"A state may not impose a charge for the enjoyment of a right granted by the federal constitution. The power to impose a license tax on the exercise of these freedoms is indeed as potent as the power of censorship which this Court has repeatedly struck down. A person cannot be compelled 'to purchase, through a license fee or a license tax, the privilege freely granted by the constitution.'"
This calls into question the outrageous fees associated with acquiring a pistol permit in many parts of the country. In much of New York, you can expect to wait up to a year and pay several hundred dollars to exercise your Constitutional rights.