Delawareans another push for gun control in your state
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Delawareans another push for gun control in your state

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1827 Times on 1052 Posts
Likes Given: 3752

Default Delawareans another push for gun control in your state

This is pushing the threshold! If you have a so-called qualified mental health providers (Psychiatrists to school counselors) that are anti-gun, period. They will call the police because of their anti-gun views and this will spiral out of control.

WTF!

Read the article.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20131225/NEWS02/312250047/Biden-renews-push-gun-bill?nclick_check=1

Attorney General Beau Biden is lobbying the state Senate to reconsider a controversial gun-control bill that was defeated on the final days of the General Assembly in June, a victim partly of intense, conservative grass-roots opposition.

Biden’s bill, sponsored by Democratic Rep. Michael Barbieri in the House, establishes a process to ban Delawareans from owning a gun if a mental health professional suspects they present a danger to themselves or others. The legislation would require qualified mental health providers, from psychiatrists to school counselors, to call police if they believe a patient presents such a danger.

The proposal received just six yes votes in the Senate on June 27, a massive defeat for Biden, after clearing the House in a 40-1 vote on May 14. Even one co-sponsor, Republican Sen. Greg Lavelle, voted against the bill when it reached the Senate floor. Biden and Lavelle are now trading criticisms over the proposal.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 388 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Democratic Rep. Michael Barbieri in the House, establishes a process to ban Delawareans from owning a gun if a mental health professional suspects they present a danger to themselves or others.
Sounds sensible to me. Would I want someone that said that they wanted to go on a mass shooting spree to legally obtain firearms NO. Obviously they could get them illegally but why make it easy for them. To me allowing someone that is known to be a danger to themselves and others legally obtain firearms doesn't make sense. I am sure others will disagree , just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21302 Times on 12086 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Sounds sensible to me. Would I want someone that said that they wanted to go on a mass shooting spree to legally obtain firearms NO. Obviously they could get them illegally but why make it easy for them. To me allowing someone that is known to be a danger to themselves and others legally obtain firearms doesn't make sense. I am sure others will disagree , just my opinion.
and just who is qualified to make these decisions that will adversely affect a person's ability to own a firearm?

i hardly think someone who is anti-gun to start with is objective to be making such decisions in the first place.

what qualities would we have them make such determinations based on what?

BTW, it's already illegal for a person to possess or buy a firearm if they are judged to be mentally defective in the first place. but it has to go through a court of law and be presided over and ruled by a judge.

this stupid law would put more power in the hands of those who have an agenda to fulfill and not actually keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them in the first place. too much power in the hands of small minded people who haven't any common sense to begin with.

but you are free to disagree if you want to.
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1984 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 380

while I wholeheartedly believe we need to keep firearms away from dangerous people, defining what exactly qualifies as 'mentally ill' is a scary proposition. Heck there are people who believe wanting to own a gun in the first place makes you mentally ill! And that if you wish to carry it can only mean you are a paranoid delusional. As others mentioned, legislation such as this gives a lot of power to people NOT QUALIFIED to make such important decisions (Lou Holtz, ex-Notre Dame football coach says it best: "you know what they call the guy that graduates last in medical school? Doctor!")

I went into my doctor last week for an ear infection, and before doing anything else I was asked "do you feel safe at home?". I was tempted to say "Hell yea, I have a S&W MP15, a 12 gauge shotgun and an SR40 all ready to go!" but realized that kind of kidding could only hurt me. So I said "yes, I feel very safe at home".
People Like This 
Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1193 Times on 580 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
and just who is qualified to make these decisions that will adversely affect a person's ability to own a firearm?

i hardly think someone who is anti-gun to start with is objective to be making such decisions in the first place.

what qualities would we have them make such determinations based on what?

BTW, it's already illegal for a person to possess or buy a firearm if they are judged to be mentally defective in the first place. but it has to go through a court of law and be presided over and ruled by a judge.

this stupid law would put more power in the hands of those who have an agenda to fulfill and not actually keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them in the first place. too much power in the hands of small minded people who haven't any common sense to begin with.

but you are free to disagree if you want to.
I agree with this. Using the logic that the guy with the biggest club determines fair, in this case it could be a gun grabber. It would be so easy to "fairly" determine all who have a firearm, or want 0ne, are not right mentally. Kind of like Joseph Heller's Catch 22.

Notice there was no mention of any way for one judged dangerous to have themselves adjudicated cured, and get their rights back.

Another bad idea that will do far more harm then good.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21302 Times on 12086 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daoust_Nat View Post
I agree with this. Using the logic that the guy with the biggest club determines fair, in this case it could be a gun grabber. It would be so easy to "fairly" determine all who have a firearm, or want 0ne, are not right mentally. Kind of like Joseph Heller's Catch 22.

Notice there was no mention of any way for one judged dangerous to have themselves adjudicated cured, and get their rights back.

Another bad idea that will do far more harm then good.
kind of like the fox guarding the chicken coop!

IMO, there is no way someone with an anti-gun agenda could be objective in making decisions about the mental stability of others in regards to their gun rights and ownership.
People Like This 
Old 12-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #7

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I don't see how we can keep having these shootings, find out it's mentally unstable people yet do NOTHING.. I don't know what's to be done but this can't keep happening..

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That Sucks!

Join the NRA today! Help us fight the Anti-Gunners, and keep the American way of life alive!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
I don't see how we can keep having these shootings, find out it's mentally unstable people yet do NOTHING.. I don't know what's to be done but this can't keep happening..
A lot of these crazies are committing their first crime, the mass shooting. We can't punish them before they commit a crime. The ones that we catch as having a great chance of hurting others need to be adjudicated mentally defective by a JUDGE, not a counselor at school/work or some other unqualified/biased person.

Of course not all will be "caught", that's why you eliminate GFZs and allow people to be armed. These are common sense solutions that are proven to work, it's just the people with the power to implement them are rufusing to listen. These people are to blame for every death that could've been prevented using true common sense, not the fake "common sense" of the antis.

But I digress, there ought to be a law to stop all these shootings. The previous sentence is in green, I'm on a mobile so we'll have to pretend.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #10

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Until something is done that the pro gun community approves of then these shootings will continue to be blamed on us and our weapons.
GFZ's are popping up at a much higher rate then before and much faster then then few communities that are doing away with them, this does not appear to be an approach that is ACTUALLY working.

I'm not saying what you're suggesting wouldn't work. What I am saying, is things are going the other direction and faster the other direction by the day. If something doesn't change then the attacks will continue and the anti crowd will continue to grow.

Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions....

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

wittmeba Likes This