Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Define Unlicensed Weapon (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/define-unlicensed-weapon-95108/)

AFerree 08-07-2013 06:52 PM

Define Unlicensed Weapon

1 Attachment(s)
Occasionally when I walk into a store (say Walmart for instance) I will see a sign reading "The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony." What is their definition of a unlicensed weapon? Obviously this extends to firearms but what about knives?

AFerree 08-07-2013 06:53 PM

FYI this is in Texas if that makes a difference.

Chainfire 08-07-2013 08:39 PM

It depends on where you are.

It looks like the sign may cite some law in the fine print at the bottom.

The simple thing to do is honor the owner's request and stay the hell out of their store. Store owners have the right to have business conducted in their place as they see fit. It is part of the "freedom" thing we all like to talk about.

Axxe55 08-07-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFerree (Post 1329053)
Occasionally when I walk into a store (say Walmart for instance) I will see a sign reading "The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony." What is their definition of a unlicensed weapon? Obviously this extends to firearms but what about knives?

it actually refers to the person carrying, not the firearm. in Texas you have to have a CHL to carry. there is not currently any open carry and carrying concelaed without a permit is illegal.

Chainfire 08-07-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1329150)
it actually refers to the person carrying, not the firearm. in Texas you have to have a CHL to carry. there is not currently any open carry and carrying concelaed without a permit is illegal.

Thus the warning.....it is a felony to carry concealed without a license, store or no store.

Axxe55 08-07-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chainfire (Post 1329154)
Thus the warning.....it is a felony to carry concealed without a license, store or no store.

yes it is a felony to carry concealed without a permit in Texas. but i question why some places have these signs in the first place. i have seen them from time to time. i can understand a sign that says no firearms allowed, meaning even those with a CHL.

WebleyFosbery38 08-08-2013 10:36 AM

Sign means, If you like guns, you wont like this store, go eleswere!

Mason609 08-08-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AFerree (Post 1329053)

As far as knives go, it varies.

We talking hunting/survival knives, pocket knives, Swiss Army knives?

It's all about state law and city/town ordinances.

danf_fl 08-08-2013 10:55 AM

Florida has a good definition of what a weapon is.
They also issue a Concealed Weapon Permit (or license).

The way I read it, if one is caught carrying a defined weapon without the CWP, then it is "unlicensed"
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.001.html

WebleyFosbery38 08-08-2013 11:20 AM

Defining things instead of actions as legal or illegal is a modern day quagmire. Banning things is a waste of time and Billions of dollars via regulatory BS and Law enforcement. There really are very few things that should be illegal by themselves; Concentrated, weaponized Anthrax is one of them, Ma Deuce is not.

The Sheeple have been Requiring and Demanding Life's Minefield clearing via Government rule, thats not the answer, never has been.

My definition of a good or bad gun has everything to do with my actual view of the business end and who has their finger on the trigger; nothing to do with the gun, everything to do with the gunner!