Debating Gun Control? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Debating Gun Control?

View Poll Results: How many anti gun proponents have you turned in favor of gun ownership?
0 9 31.03%
1-2 13 44.83%
3-5 5 17.24%
6-10 1 3.45%
I'm the St Patrick of anti-gunner conversions 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Big fat ZERO for me.

As a former gun control advocate, I know three types of people. Those who already shoot and support gun ownership, those that don't care, and those that see guns as just inherently dangerous.

I won't back down from my stance, but I've made no headway on the third group since changing many of my views.
Agreed, the middle group, the fence sitters, the indifferent are the ones we should focus on...They're being fed mis-information and don't even know it... 15 short years ago, I was one of the indifferent...I've learned A LOT since then...

What was the most convincing argument that you were presented with, the one(s) that swayed your opinion?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #22

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I've never been a die-hard anti-gunner, but I believed that average citizens should not carry. EVER.

When Texas passed their concealed carry law I made some pretty nasty predictions. None of them came true. Then I found out about Florida passing their concealed carry before us and how crime had gone down. Sure enough, Texas began to follow suit. In the years since concealed carry has been passed, violent crime continues to go down.

I also did a brief stint in law enforcement and I think it forced me to realize that cops are people to. Not always society's best either. Not saying cops are bad but they're not imbued with magical powers once they don the badge.

I just softened over time and realized that when it comes to safety, I am the first line of my own defense.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #23

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
I've never been a die-hard anti-gunner, but I believed that average citizens should not carry. EVER.

When Texas passed their concealed carry law I made some pretty nasty predictions. None of them came true. Then I found out about Florida passing their concealed carry before us and how crime had gone down. Sure enough, Texas began to follow suit. In the years since concealed carry has been passed, violent crime continues to go down.

I also did a brief stint in law enforcement and I think it forced me to realize that cops are people to. Not always society's best either. Not saying cops are bad but they're not imbued with magical powers once they don the badge.

I just softened over time and realized that when it comes to safety, I am the first line of my own defense.
If I could 'like' a post twice, It'd be that one...Post of the day right there!!! +1 CJ!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #24

Liked 76 Times on 47 Posts

Both my and my wife's family all own guns and most of my friends so I don't have this problem.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #25

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Seems to me like I am surrounded by rabid anti-gun people ... family, friends, cow-workers ... you name it. And many of them are rabid lunatics who cannot for the life of them hear facts or reason

I actually had along time friend blame me for the CT shooting They continued on that it was people like me who enable these psycho murderers to do what they do

I'm at the point in my life where I have zero tolerance for bull**** and zero patience anymore. A few days ago I was in another argument with a friend of a friend who insited that the 94' AWB must be re-implmented immediately. After the back and forth back and forth and her refusal to listen to reason I just left it at this ...

"Come and take them ... it's the only way you will get them!"

Later that night I sent a letter to the NRA clearly stating my position. I sent the same letter to my State and Federal representatives. I'm done debating, I'm done arguing, I'm done hearing the anti-gunners crap ... the next lunatic that gets in my face blaming em for these psycho's actions will be picking there teeth off of the floor!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

My wife has had a gun pointed at her by a family member and because of that has a fear of guns, despite that she respects my right to keep and bear arms and I have managed to get her to agree with my views that all law abiding citizens should be able to have the means to defend themselves as well as have access to most any type of firearm we choose. If only I could get her to get over her fear of guns and go shooting with me things would be perfect, I respect her fear of guns and will not push the issue though if she should change her mind I have my single ten ready to go if she wants to go plinking. I think that most anti-gunners are unfortunately blinded by media and cowed by our protectionist politicians who forget that they are public servants. It is sad really that so many people think that senseless unenforceable laws will stop criminals, when did the public forget the very definition of criminal means that these people choose to break the law? Gun laws only seek to harm the law abiding citizen and have no bearing on those that choose to break the law. Maybe our hypocritical leaders in washington should focus on taking the guns away from the mexican drug cartels. In closing I agree with Ted Nugent that when gov Cuomo, our President, and anyone else who feels the need for a publicly funded security force, if they dismiss their security detail of disarm them then maybe (though not likely) we the people will consider following suit those that hide behind armed guards should not tell the public that we do not have the right to our own protection and should be banned from public office.