Debating Gun Control? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Debating Gun Control?

View Poll Results: How many anti gun proponents have you turned in favor of gun ownership?
0 9 31.03%
1-2 13 44.83%
3-5 5 17.24%
6-10 1 3.45%
I'm the St Patrick of anti-gunner conversions 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I have lots of friends in the Northeast who are/were indifferent...(notsomuch here in the South... )

The past few weeks I've received several emails and phone calls from friends wanting info on gun ownership.

Of course I'm only happy to oblige...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7642 Times on 4592 Posts
Likes Given: 9548

All these testimonials are telling us we need to work at it with patience. None of these people were convinced guns were not bad in one debate. If we keep our heads on straight and don't go losing our tempers on the "anti-gunners" we will slowly make progress.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
All these testimonials are telling us we need to work at it with patience. None of these people were convinced guns were not bad in one debate. If we keep our heads on straight and don't go losing our tempers on the "anti-gunners" we will slowly make progress.
be passionate but not emotional. use actual facts that can be supported if they look them up from credible sources. use common sense above all else.

i have said this before, and IMO, a true liberal gun hater is not going to be swayed, convinced or converted, no matter how compelling your facts or evidence may be. those sitting on the fence who just haven't been exposed to guns for whatever reason are those we need to work with. those who can see reason and common sense and can look at an issue with intelligence and ask questions about things they don't understand, those who want to see both sides and all the facts before making a decision.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1843 Times on 1021 Posts
Likes Given: 5499

I tend to work at the grass roots level. Family, Friends, Neighbors.

I can't say that any of these folks would be activist anti-gun folks, but they probably would have fallen prey to the lies in the media and from our President.

My approach. Take them shooting. Pay for the ammo, supply the guns.
Be sure and start each session with a safety talk (I almost always take them outside, either on my range, or before that on public lands).

I have them help me declare the firing line, the target zone and backstop.

Each new shooter must have an experienced shooter at the new shooters shoulder. ....
Every shooter get's hearing protection.

I like to start with 22's and have them work up to the .223 or 7.62x39 in my favorite configurations.

The more that they feel involved with the process, the more they seem to embrace it.
Loading Mags, Inserting Mags, firing, and one they all love, Learning how to show themselves and me, that they are unloaded. All pop cans and paper targets are picked up after the shoot.

Each new shooter will leave knowing that WE ALL CARE WHERE THE MUZZLE IS POINTED at all time, and that the firearms are always treated as if they are loaded.

Once the mystery is removed, and they feel that they have a part, attitudes change.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2015 Times on 1384 Posts
Likes Given: 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
be passionate but not emotional. use actual facts that can be supported if they look them up from credible sources. use common sense above all else.

i have said this before, and IMO, a true liberal gun hater is not going to be swayed, convinced or converted, no matter how compelling your facts or evidence may be. those sitting on the fence who just haven't been exposed to guns for whatever reason are those we need to work with. those who can see reason and common sense and can look at an issue with intelligence and ask questions about things they don't understand, those who want to see both sides and all the facts before making a decision.
A local newspaper writer (Barry Saunders) says the facts are irrelevant in one of his articles. Barry is a popular writer and his articles usually make sense. In fact, he went on to state the person that presented the facts was likely illiterate. I can't help it if he doesn't want to believe that more people die from medical errors than guns. No one make someone want to believe something.

What is funny is I fell asleep waiting on an oral surgeon. The dental assistant said she could never fall asleep in any medical facility. She would be scared to wake up having the wrong procedure done on her. Medical mistakes must happen a lot!

In the big picture your child has a better chance of winning the lottery and being struck by lightning in the same day than being involved in a mass shooting if we did nothing at all. Yet we have all this legislation in the works to make someone feel better.

There is nothing to present. People believe what they want to believe. We can't change human nature. Shootings make people emotional. Facts have nothing to do with emotion.

The Boston Globe had a poll at the end of one of it's articles about the CT shooting. The poll asked if legislation would have prevented the shooting in CT. 82% responded that legislation would not make a difference. Yet the media finds polls that show different numbers.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 12-22-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

In this area, anti gun liberals are rare. Anti gun liberals that will actually admit to being anti gun are even rarer. The joys of living in a country town.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Lightbulb Hopefully, the light goes on

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I was an "anti-gunner" for most of my life. Someone took the time and patience to teach me. It took several months but I eventually flew to Cali to meet this person and go to the range with him. That took a gargantuan leap of faith on my behalf. I've been hooked ever since.

As a result of me being an "anti-gunner" I raised three children in the same fashion. I guess I shouldn't say I 'converted' them as my oldest son had a FOID card before I did. His friends were interested in guns and when they went to the gun store, my son couldn't handle the guns unless he had a FOID card so he got one. He and I have gone shooting together. I have shown my children, through my words and actions, that guns aren't bad like I thought they were. Now just the other day my daughter, who was the staunchest 'anti-gunner' of my children said, "Maybe I should get a FOID card before they ban them here in Illinois." Personally, I think she's confusing the AWB talk floating around with banning the FOID card but I didn't correct her. I think I'll offer to help her fill out her FOID card application.

I think if we can keep our heads about us and talk civilly and patiently with anti-gunners, we can educate them. It's not going to happen in one conversation, it'll take some time. As people see and get to know those of us who own guns and see that we are not "crazy" and are responsible and take owning guns seriously, we will convert them.
It is indeed, a process and mostly a journey - if you can get them to listen with at least a semblance of open mindedness. Sometimes the light goes on. My wife came around 180 degrees and now has a carry permit also. We target shoot weekly now.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #18

Liked 4434 Times on 2194 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Why debate? Just whip out a bat and start hitting them.

'Defend yourself!, come on, stop me.' You should say,

This is a joke, I do not condone wasting good bats on anti gunners.

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 625 Times on 476 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
This is a joke, I do not condone wasting good bats on anti gunners.
Just use natural recourses like rocks.

Joke obviously, we shouldn't sink to their level.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 12-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #20

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Big fat ZERO for me.

As a former gun control advocate, I know three types of people. Those who already shoot and support gun ownership, those that don't care, and those that see guns as just inherently dangerous.

I won't back down from my stance, but I've made no headway on the third group since changing many of my views.