Debating Gun Control?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Debating Gun Control?

View Poll Results: How many anti gun proponents have you turned in favor of gun ownership?
0 9 31.03%
1-2 13 44.83%
3-5 5 17.24%
6-10 1 3.45%
I'm the St Patrick of anti-gunner conversions 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Default Debating Gun Control?

As the title implies ... how many of you all have debated with an anti-gun proponent the topic of gun control? I ask this because I wonder how many folks have actually been educated to the error of their thinking and changed their position

If you have debated with an anti-gun proponent please share with us what your strategy was and the points you used to make your argument.

thanks

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

I'm also counting one "assist" of getting a newspaper reporter to understand that a gun by itself is not "evil".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2160 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 804

No one that comes into my life is anti gun. Trying to find an anti gunner in my life is like trying to find an anti gun person at the LGS.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 12-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have tried on many occasions to debate the issues of gun ownership with those who hate guns and think they are evil and cause crime. i have several family members on my mother's, including one of my older sisters who believe in these liberal thoughts about guns. even my own mother, by gosh thinks i shouldn't own guns and think that only the military and LE have a need for them! i have pointed out the 2nd admendment, i have used facts, reasoning and common sense in my debates and they still can't see the light. i have left them with the hope that they never have a reason to regret their choices and decisions about guns, due to a violent crime. they are my family and i truly love them, but strongly disagree with their choices.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7815 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9842

I was an "anti-gunner" for most of my life. Someone took the time and patience to teach me. It took several months but I eventually flew to Cali to meet this person and go to the range with him. That took a gargantuan leap of faith on my behalf. I've been hooked ever since.

As a result of me being an "anti-gunner" I raised three children in the same fashion. I guess I shouldn't say I 'converted' them as my oldest son had a FOID card before I did. His friends were interested in guns and when they went to the gun store, my son couldn't handle the guns unless he had a FOID card so he got one. He and I have gone shooting together. I have shown my children, through my words and actions, that guns aren't bad like I thought they were. Now just the other day my daughter, who was the staunchest 'anti-gunner' of my children said, "Maybe I should get a FOID card before they ban them here in Illinois." Personally, I think she's confusing the AWB talk floating around with banning the FOID card but I didn't correct her. I think I'll offer to help her fill out her FOID card application.

I think if we can keep our heads about us and talk civilly and patiently with anti-gunners, we can educate them. It's not going to happen in one conversation, it'll take some time. As people see and get to know those of us who own guns and see that we are not "crazy" and are responsible and take owning guns seriously, we will convert them.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #6

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

Even though this is the first time I even viewed this thread, it said I already voted -confused-. Anyways, I have slowly converted my brother, who used to say "citizens dont need anything other than a .22 or shotgun, and a ccw is for paranoids". He has since bought a .357, agrees with ccw, even though he doesn't have one. We had a debate on "assault" rifles this spring, and he was considering buying one a couple weeks ago.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

my wife was okay with me using guns, and having a few.. over time spent talking and taking her to shoot my she went from slightly agianst them to wanting and buying her own. at work ive made really good points to some of my coworkers that conceded i made a good logical stance, however they still felt they wanted more restrictions on certain weapons like AK's n AR's. and the mag issue is hard to change there mind on. guess i'll keep trying.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Anti guns......

Man I live in La. The sportsmans paradise........Once them arse holes from the babtist church that was going to picket the funeral of a soldier killed in afsewerstan found out that 2,000 people were to show up and cause them pain they changed thier minds......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 12-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #9

Liked 2032 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

My mother and brother were both anti gun. I have worked on them for decades. When Obama got elected my mom said she might buy a gun before it was too late. I asked her if she could pull the trigger in self defense if she had too. She admitted that she could not. I advised her not to buy one. I was afraid a home invader would take it away and use it against her. I keep trying to get her to go to the range with me. But she has not yet. But the fact that she considered buying one tells me her mind has changed about the rights of the people. I would happily give her one of mine if I could get her to go out and shoot it. She has actually said she would just point it at them hoping to scare them away.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

Liked 4542 Times on 2262 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

My girlfriend was indifferent. I took her to the range and let her shoot. Now she's very pro gun.
She's a teacher and was against the idea of CCW in school. I asked her if she didn't trust her boss to carry a gun if needed. She said a student might get it. I asked how a student would even know he had one. She thought a minute and said she was for it.

Arbitrary enforcement of the law is the mark of tyranny. Citizens will always fight against it.

dog2000tj Likes This