DC: empty brass is considered ammo - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > DC: empty brass is considered ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

Quote:
Buddy of mine has twin boys (think they were about 11 at the time). Had them helping him pick up brass at the range one evening after shooting his AR. Next day he gets a call to come to pick one of them up from school.

An empty casing had been left in the kids pocket and came right out with his lunch money. Suspended 3 days for "Possession of a weapon".
My buddy tried to reason with the principal but no go, "zero tolerance". This was even in a relatively rural school district.
Something tells me that's not even legal for them to do. If they're using that as a definition for "weapon", then pecils are much more dangerous, and every kid should get suspended......

Old 09-06-2013, 11:27 AM   #22

Liked 418 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 31

There is a saying for this along the lines of "Cascading F^&kwittery knows no bounds".

This is what happens when the handwringers and denialists propose to save the world from itself by bringing in laws so stupid that even psychiatric patient's laugh at them.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Empty heads should be illegal and stupid should hurt.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #24

Liked 517 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Zero tolerance essentially frees them from being accountable for a decision. I usually find that people run from making decisions. Sadly, many of those are people in positions of authority. I've often said if you are in leadership and can't make a decision you are automatically not worth your salary.

This law would screw the hell out of me. I find empty .22 casings all the time. My pistol kicks them out hard and where they land is anyone's guess. I came back from a range trip at lunch one time and found casings in my shirt pocket, stuck to the bottom of my shoe, and another in my pant's pocket. In D.C. that makes me a felon? Exactly why is it a problem? Just plain stupid anti-gun bias at work without any basis in logic or reason.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #25

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

So if I had one cubic inch of brass I wouldn't get arrested but if the chunk of brass was shaped into casings I'm suddenly breaking the law, makes complete sense.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

People Like This 
Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #26

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Had a lady tell me today not to drive through DC, and I'm in FL! When I asked her why, she pointed to a bunch of empty 12 gauge hulls in my truck bed from skeet shooting. LOL!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Any LEO who enforces this 'law' is in DIRECT violation of their oath and the Constitution. Too bad so many who took the oath will not live up to it. This makes it meaningless!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #28

Liked 547 Times on 370 Posts

This is the stupidest law i ever heard of. And I've been reading a lot of stupid laws lately lol.

This must be related to micro stamping. Another stupid law

Old 09-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #29

Liked 232 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau
Any LEO who enforces this 'law' is in DIRECT violation of their oath and the Constitution. Too bad so many who took the oath will not live up to it. This makes it meaningless!!!
Lawmakers should not be allowed to create a "law" that is "in direct violation" of the Constitution. A LEO does not create law. They simply enforce laws created by officials elected by citizens. The LEO enforcing existing Federal, State, or Local Laws is doing what they are paid to do and following the oath they swore.

This logic is like blaming the cashier at 7/11 for the high gas prices.

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 09-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierTCB View Post
Lawmakers should not be allowed to create a "law" that is "in direct violation" of the Constitution. A LEO does not create law. They simply enforce laws created by officials elected by citizens. The LEO enforcing existing Federal, State, or Local Laws is doing what they are paid to do and following the oath they swore.

This logic is like blaming the cashier at 7/11 for the high gas prices.
It is all about 'checks and balances'! The lawmakers violated their oath by passing the 'law' so it is passed on to LEO's to right the wrong. If they do not it is passed on to the 'prosecutors' who become 'persecutors' if they don't right the wrong. It then goes to the judges to correct it, which most will not, and the final 'checks and balances' comes down to the jury, who are told it is not their 'duty' to right the wrong by the judge who has violated his oath!
This a fine system we have here is it not????

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!