Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Daley's $1 mil. push to buy back guns misfires (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/daleys-1-mil-push-buy-back-guns-misfires-5675/)

tracker 07-18-2008 03:53 PM

Daley's $1 mil. push to buy back guns misfires

Mayor Daley wants to raise $1 million to buy back guns and remove them from Chicago streets, but the latest in a string of corporate fund-raisers got off to a slow start.

Sources said former Board of Education President Michael Scott was asked to co-sign a wave of fund-raising letters and make fund-raising phone calls after the initial response was lukewarm from a business community that's also being called upon to bankroll Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid.

Suntimes

Dillinger 07-18-2008 04:25 PM

$100 pre-paid debit card to turn in a real firearm? I understand that you want to get the guns off the streets, and I understand that you are doing it with donated money, but C'mon. That isn't even 2 tanks of gas for your average commuter... LOL

While I appreciate the thought behind the project, the guns you are going to be getting aren't the ones causing problems. Then of course, you have to make sure and actually dispose of them, not turn around and lose them ( Chicago ) , or have people selling them back out on the streets ( Miami )....

JD

RL357Mag 07-18-2008 06:33 PM

I wish I had bought up all the old rusty, broken revolvers I used to see sitting in barrels at gun shows! Could have made a small fortune turning them in...

spittinfire 07-18-2008 07:10 PM

What I dont like about the buy backs on top of what has already been mentioned is the dangerously low value it applies to all of our guns.

bkt 07-18-2008 07:52 PM

Buy backs are a means by which people who have more than two brain cells to rub together can make a quick $100 by turning in that old rusty p.o.s. that has been sitting in the basement floor for the last 15 years.

BigO01 07-18-2008 11:03 PM

What people don't seem to get with these stupid "Buy Backs" is that all they are doing is forcing the worst most visible of criminals to rearm themselves with modern weapons .

Think about it for a second guys .

Where do the Antis get the majority of their stats for "Child Victims" ?

Usually in the worst , poorest , gang infested cities around the nation .

Fact of the matter is if it weren't for Hollywood and Buy Backs the situation would never have gotten as bad as it is .

Gang bangers for decades were happy with their 25 and 380 acp little Raven and Jennings pistols and they did the job often enough .

These guys were in and out of jail so often it was like we go rent movies or get fast food . When they were in jail their guns would sit in some family members drawer or on a closet shelf or where ever until they were let loose again . Then along come Buy Backs and their mother or crack addict girlfriend whoever has the gun sells it to the cops when they need a fix or run out of food stamps .

Guy gets out of jail and his gun is gone so whats he do ? Either starts breaking into homes to find a new one or goes and buys one from a break in artist .

It's been proven time and time again these clowns don't go illegally get a gun from a shop nor do they even pay what we do to legally buy a gun .

The cops themselves are to blame if their "Outgunned" by the criminals because they're the ones who took away the criminals POS 80 YO rusted revolver or 25 auto that would misfire more often then they would work .

Dillinger 07-18-2008 11:19 PM

You know, that is a good point BigO - obviously the bad guys are going to want to re-arm if their family trades in their "go to" piece. Obviously why would you buy a revolver when you can get cheap semi autos for about the same price?

I also blame Renny Harlan, the director of Die Hard II ( 1990 ), and those @ssholes at Glock for promoting their wonder pistol that "is made of porcelian, made in Germany, specifically designed to bypass metal detectors" - We all know that to be totally untrue, but right after that, Glock ran a promotion showing a look alike of Bruce Willis holding their weapon and a caption from the movie right under it. Right after that came out Glock ( who had been producing arms in the US since 1986 1/2 )sales went through the roof, and shortly there after, they started turning up in every TV show and every movie for a good 5 to 8 years.

As with anything else in the modern lexicon, it quickly became the go to weapon of choice.

I would be willing to bet with all the former and active cops we have on this forum, they confiscate more Glock handguns than any other model.

You want to know why we have handgun legislation problems? One of the key reasons can be traced right back to Glock's doorsteps with their cheap ( affordable ) super high capacity weapons that spread like a plague....

JD