Crime Down after Gun Laws Struck Down

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Crime Down after Gun Laws Struck Down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Crime Down after Gun Laws Struck Down

Came Across this article, it has links to a 13 part debate. I bookmarked it for when I'm not too busy, but there was also an interesting study from the University of Chicago Press and by Harvard University Press.

Crime Rate vs Gun Law Stats

There is probably more to the stats than meets the eye, but worthy of a second look.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Its an interesting article. I saw it a day or two ago but never bothered reading it.

Although I don't deny that more guns in the hands of law abiding citizens is = to less crime, to gain an appreciation of the statistics used, we need to know their definition. By Crime Rate, are they referring to homicides and armed robberies or are they talking about things such as the simple act of possessing a firearm?

Despite the common perception of many people, including many on this forum, not every person carrying a gun without a permit is a "criminal." Although, technically they may be, that doesn't mean they are...ya know what I mean? I'm not advising that people go around flagrantly disobeying the laws that are set forth, but I think you get my idea.

So I guess its like this. If they consider a drop in the number of people charged with owning a handgun to be a drop in crime rate, then yea, those are probably spot on accurate numbers. If they are referring to other things including that, then you can see where it may be somewhat misleading...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun