Countering Gun Control - Page 14
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Countering Gun Control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2014, 06:14 PM   #131
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
I am still not sure what your point is , I am not the one needs convincing.
His point is that you can take your gun control debate to another thread.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

vincent Likes This 
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 AM   #132

Liked 308 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A Heinlein
How anybody expects a man to stay in business with every two-bit wowser in the country claiming a veto over what we can say and can't say and what we can show and what we can't show — it's enough to make you throw up. The whole principle is wrong; it's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak.

Man who Sold the Moon, Pub 1950 (page 188)
Old Heinlein might have been a bit strange in his golden years but by golly that man was SMART.
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949
People Like This 
Old 03-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #133
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1214 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 166

House cleaning performed

FirearmsTalk welcomes a good debate, however please keep in mind it must remain civil and beneficial to the entire community.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #134

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30USMC View Post
House cleaning performed

FirearmsTalk welcomes a good debate, however please keep in mind it must remain civil and beneficial to the entire community.
This is NOT the thread for a 'good debate'...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 03-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #135
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1214 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
This is NOT the thread for a 'good debate'...

With any "Gun Control" thread you probably should understand some would debate.

However, if you have any issues send me a PM

Old 03-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #136

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Put articles, essays, and resources here that we can use to counter the gun control arguments. This is not the place to debate gun control. Just post links to resources we can use to counter it.

Here are a couple articles I came across today.

Thomas Sowell - Invincible Ignorance
http://townhall.com/columnists/thomassowell/2012/12/18/invincible-ignorance-n1468784/page/full/

Active Shooters in Schools - The Enemy is Denial
http://www.policeone.com/active-shooter/articles/2058168-Lt-Col-Dave-Grossman-to-cops-The-enemy-is-denial/
This is the purpose of this thread...

No PM is necessary if some people can just follow directions...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 03-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #137

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I wrote this about 3 years ago. Might be helpful to some.

2nd Amendment

I've been doing a lot of thinking as of late, on the issues of gun control. I know lots of folks in this country don't like guns, and believe we shouldn't own them. If those who would deny us the right to own guns, would just do a little research and look at history, I think they may have a different view. During Hitler’s rise to power....the first thing he did, was to tell the people that he had a militia ready to "defend" the people. And he disarmed all of the local populace. When he finally took complete control, there wasn't much anyone could do, having already been disarmed. That is just one example. There are countless others. An unarmed people are NOT citizens.....they are SUBJECTS! I have traveled much.....and seen first-hand, the effects of gun control in other countries, as well as here in the US. As I said, do a little research. Those states with the highest crime rate? New York, Washington D.C., Chicago, and California. Those are also the states with the strictest gun control laws. I don't need to lie about it.....do your own checking. Also check on all of the school shooting scenarios. You will find that most of them are "Gun-Free" zones. Do any of you REALLY think the bad guys care about those signs?? It just tells them that no one inside is a threat, because they are not armed. In the rare instances where the shooter was stopped, one or more people had access to a firearm, and interrupted the event. (You never hear about this in the news) I'm not saying that everyone should rush out and buy a gun. Any weapon, in the hands of an un-trained person, is a bad thing. But......in those states which allow Concealed Carry, the crime rate IS lower. When the "bad guys" don't know just who might be carrying a weapon, they tend to walk a bit softer. Don't want to make this sound like a rant.....I'm an NRA Life Member, member of Handgunners, Inc., and also have a CCW permit.

Come if you must, but only if you must. For the day you find yourself upon my step, will surely be the night you find peace along Jordan's edge”.
Author Unknown

People Like This 
Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #138
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8283 Times on 4787 Posts
Likes Given: 10716

Quote:
So you are happy for pro firearms articles and essays to be posted. And then ( command ) that no one is allowed to point out any material that is wrong in the articles. I thought this was an American forum not Russian or Chinese. Posting a thread and then telling people how they are allowed to respond to it , is not the way internet forums or free speech work.

You don't post on a forum and then tell people how they are allowed respond. Threads can evolve and change direction, its for the mods to decide if post are going off topic not the people posting.
Bring it over to this thread. I just created it for this sort of debate.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/debate-thread-countering-gun-control-105643/#post1544375

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #139
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1970 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
So you are happy for pro firearms articles and essays to be posted. And then ( command ) that no one is allowed to point out any material that is wrong in the articles. I thought this was an American forum not Russian or Chinese. Posting a thread and then telling people how they are allowed to respond to it , is not the way internet forums or free speech work.

You don't post on a forum and then tell people how they are allowed respond. Threads can evolve and change direction, its for the mods to decide if post are going off topic not the people posting.
They will tell you it is a private commercial website. Besides, marching as the sergeant says is totally American.

Last edited by Mercator; 03-30-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 03-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #140

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default Good article discusses international stats

Moving to the homicide data, we recall that America is often said to have the highest homicide rate of any "civilized," "Western," "industrialized," or "advanced" nation. Do those who make such claims believe that Mexico is uncivilized, Brazil is not in the Western Hemisphere, Russia is not industrialized, or Ukraine is retarded?

Looking at the homicide figures, we again wonder about accuracy. Are "political" killings (by the government or rebels) in Northern Ireland, Egypt, Israel, Guatemala, Peru, China, and elsewhere listed as homicides, listed separately, or concealed? We must admit that the U.S. has a higher homicide rate than any Western European nation. Still, 23 nations admit to higher rates: Armenia, Bahamas, Belarus, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Moldova, Paraguay, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, Sao Tome, Tajikistan, Trinidad, Ukraine, and Venezuela. Using the 1997 U.S. homicide rate of 7.3, Azerbaijan and Cuba also have higher rates. Nine nations (ten using the 1997 figures) including Russia have both higher suicide and higher homicide rates.

There may be a lesson here. Perhaps the more we resemble Colombia with its drug wars, and Eastern Europe with its ethnic strife, the more our homicide rate will rise. In fact, homicide rates in some central cities, including Washington, D.C. with its "crack" wars, are already as high as that of Colombia. This is not an encouraging thought.

The changes in the U.S. homicide rate over time are interesting. In 1900 there were few gun laws. New York had no handgun law and California no waiting period. Guns of all types could be ordered by mail or bought anonymously. And the homicide rate was 1.2, about one-sixth of what it is today.

http://www.haciendapub.com/medicalsentinel/america-most-violent-nation-0

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

vincent Likes This