Countdown to Illinois CCW - Page 10
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Countdown to Illinois CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #91
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1953 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63
Are you currently aware of the statistics of accidental shootings by persons legally carrying a concealed weapon who were not "formally" trained by the state vs those who were?
No, do you have a reference for it?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #92

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota

No, do you have a reference for it?
Yes I would also like to see that reference. I am writing a paper for school a d could use it.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #93

Liked 235 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sig View Post
I have no problem with a requirement that to qualify you must take a defensive cc course with specific standards being met.
I didn't give any statistics for accidental shootings trained vs untrained because there are none. There is no one keeping such records. A quick google and you'll find that about 600 people die per year from accidental shootings, although the numbers may be skewed from such things as suicides. About 100 hunting deaths per year. The number of deaths, despite the large amount of new gun owners over the past ten years, has slightly decreased. A greater issue to me is the amount of children who die from finding loaded and unsecured firearms inside their homes. My concern is that we are currently in the midst of a nationwide debate on firearms in which many of the politicians who are the movers and shakers have no idea what they are talking about; they are simply following the leads of their donors, their party line, their handlers, etc. I have no faith that any new legislation will be anything more than a money grab. I know folks with no formal training who are religious in the handling and security of their firearm; I also am aquainted with LE and have known a few military that I would not want to be in the same room while they had a loaded gun in hand.
It would be better, at least in my mind, for the government to initiate a large campaign of PSAs; promote awareness and responsibility. It would behoove the gun makers to do likewise; create some dvds and include them with gun purchases, explaining maintenance, care, shooting technique, responsible handling and security. LGS or dealers can point the buyer to local ranges, instructers or training facilities in the PRIVATE sector. I just have no confidence that another laminated badge, plaque or certificate from the state of illinois will do any good.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #94

^^^ +1 Agree completely. There will always be fools in this world. Some system to limit the number of them who run around armed is probably a good thing. But in Illinois, their system for doing so is to allow NO ONE to be armed. And that's wrong.

I would love to see some reasonable standard qualification test that anyone would have to pass to get a license to carry in public. Right now we don't come anywhere near such a standard. Alaska: "Are you breathing?" "Yes" "OK, here's your license." Illinois: "Are you breathing?" "Yes" "You failed the test, no license for you."

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 03-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #95

78 days to go. See also the related thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f126/important-illinois-ccw-notice-84973/

Balota

Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #96

OK, it's been a while. We're down to just a few weeks, 20 days by my calculations. HB0997 has been extensively amended. The first 9 amendments have been withdrawn, but the 10th amendment basically replaces the entire original bill. The synopsis reads the same as the original, or very close, and looks reasonable. But trusting the lawmakers in Illinois to tell the truth about a bill makes very little sense. There was a flurry of activity in April and on 19-Apr it was re-referred to the Rules Committee. Nothing since then.

Anyone have any other information about the alternative bills?d

Balota

Old 05-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #97
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
OK, it's been a while. We're down to just a few weeks, 20 days by my calculations. HB0997 has been extensively amended. The first 9 amendments have been withdrawn, but the 10th amendment basically replaces the entire original bill. The synopsis reads the same as the original, or very close, and looks reasonable. But trusting the lawmakers in Illinois to tell the truth about a bill makes very little sense. There was a flurry of activity in April and on 19-Apr it was re-referred to the Rules Committee. Nothing since then.

Anyone have any other information about the alternative bills?d
Outside of HB0997 all other bill I have seen are very bad may issue bills.
The catch is the pro's are pushing for 997 with no pre-emption which
requires a super majority (2/3's if I recall, also makes it veto proof). We are
just a few votes short, generally, the pro side feels that as the dead line
approaches a few antis will jump to our side to pass a bill versus
constitutional carry. The anti do not care about preemption and therefore
only need a simple majority, and they are short of this; the antis cannot
even muster a simple majority. Lines are very well defined at this time.
The pro's are clearly in the driver's seat and therefore the reason for the
lack of activity, we do not to do anything and the antis have realized that
they cannot get the votes close to what is needed.

Also it has been shown that there is no pre-emption with Constitutional
Carry as if the State of Illinois cannot go against a Federal Court Order the
City of Shi-cago or the County of Crooks.

Since the stalemate in Springfield is in place, and time is short, I am
thinking that we might actually get Constitutional Carry, which in short
means if you have an FOID, you can CCW. Which would be outstanding,
once that is in place I cannot reasonable see who any CCW law will be
passed down the road. Like I tell my liberal ass hat co-workers 49 other
states cannot be wrong... I do not have any liberal friends...

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #98
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

A former LEO was telling me yesterday if nothing passed and Constitutional Carry happens by default, as soon as they appeal to SCOTUS everything gets put on hold until resolved - so in effect that will delay any concealed carry until the ruling. Don't know if anyone knows for a fact that is true or not.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 05-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJG67 View Post
A former LEO was telling me yesterday if nothing passed and Constitutional Carry happens by default, as soon as they appeal to SCOTUS everything gets put on hold until resolved - so in effect that will delay any concealed carry until the ruling. Don't know if anyone knows for a fact that is true or not.
Your LEO buddy would be wrong, SCOTUS did grant Madigan and extension
for her appeal but the deadline is not effected. Civil Appeals do not stop
rulings until the appeal is heard and ruled on, this could be years with
SCOTUS, and likely they will not make a ruling and let the Federal District
Court ruling stand, this is not a Constitutional issue so SCOTUS will likely
just dodge the bullet, Illinois is the only state without CCW, SCOTUS will
not rule in favor of the State. The Wicked Witch of Springfield is grasping
at straws.

References:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/03/illinois-concealed-carry-_5_n_3211310.html

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/political-fix/illinois-ag-madigan-gets-one-month-extension-on-concealed-carry/article_06ad14aa-0612-5262-b090-afc6651514d5.html

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

People Like This 
Old 05-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #100

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

days
hours
minutes
seconds

Yes I have a countdown clock I look at every day
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20130608T00&p0=893&msg=Illinois+Concea led+Carry+

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens