Cops: Would you take guns away? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cops: Would you take guns away?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8839 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Michigan- a teaser only. Bedford- D Day. Seguin- John Coffee Hays Ogden- Moses. Research, and the balance is left as an exercise for the student.

And yes, there was a reason for those cities- and there are a LOT of others.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 AM   #22

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Bedford, VA

Quote:
Bedford is home to the National D-Day Memorial. (despite the "National" in its name, the memorial is owned and operated by a Non-governmental, non-profit, education foundation). The United States Congress warranted that this memorial would be the nation's D-Day Memorial and President Bill Clinton authorized this effort in September 1996. President George W. Bush dedicated this memorial as the nation's D-Day memorial on June 6, 2001. Bedford lost more residents per capita in the Normandy landings than any other American community. Nineteen soldiers from Bedford, whose 1944 population was about 3,200, were killed on D-Day. Three other Bedford soldiers died later in the Normandy campaign. Proportionally this community suffered the nation's severest D-Day losses.
Good
Quote:
But Did You Know: There’s now a Stalin bust at the National D-Day Memorial! That’s right, boys and girls, while most of Europe has been tearing down monuments to the genocidal dictator for decades, the tiny town of Bedford, Va., is just getting around to putting one up. And why not? Stalin signed a pact with Hitler before he joined the Allies; Russians didn’t participate in D-Day; and he killed an estimated 20 million people during his reign. Na Zdorov’ye!
Bad

Dawsonville, GA
Quote:
After gold was discovered near Dahlonega in 1828, the Native American Cherokee Indians were expelled from North Georgia on the infamous Trail of Tears in 1839.
Bad

Grand Junction, CO
Quote:
Grand Junction and the surrounding Grand Valley were prosperous in the 1970s and early 1980s largely because of the impact of oil shale development. The United States, western Colorado in particular, has the largest known concentration of oil shale in the world (according to the Bureau of Land Management) and holds an estimated 800 gigabarrels of recoverable oil, enough to meet U.S. demand for oil at current levels for 110 years. Known as the "Rock That Burns" the shale can be mined and processed to produce oil, although in the past it was significantly more expensive than conventional oil. Sustained prices above $95 per barrel, however, may make extraction economically attractive in the coming years (see Oil Shale Economics). ExxonMobil was forced to pull out of the region because of lower oil prices, which led to economic hardship in the region.
Good

Ogden, UT
Quote:
John Moses Browning (January 21 or January 23, 1855 – November 26, 1926), born in Ogden, Utah, was an American firearms designer who developed many varieties of military and civilian firearms, cartridges, and gun mechanisms, many of which are still in use around the world. He is arguably the most important figure in the development of modern automatic and semi-automatic firearms and is credited with 128 gun patents. He made his first firearm at age 13 in his father's gun shop, and was awarded his first patent on October 7, 1879 at the age of 24.
Good

Seguin, TX
Quote:
On August 12, 1838, thirty-three Rangers joined Joseph Martin in laying out the plans for the town. Its original name was Walnut Springs, but was changed just six months later to honor San Jacinto veteran and then Senator, Juan Seguín.[5] Manuel Flores, veteran of San Jacinto and brother-in-law of Juan Seguin, would establish a ranch in Seguin in 1838.[12] It would become a safe-haven for San Antonio families and a staging point for counter attack when Bexar was overrun in 1842 by Santa Anna's forces under Ráfael Vásquez [13] and Adrian Woll.[14] Leading the resistance forces from this location was Texas Ranger "Jack" John Coffee Hays. When duty allowed, "Jack" would be a familiar resident of Seguin. In 1843, Hays would set up a training location or "station" in Seguin, where the classic Ranger character would be born.[15] He would meet Susan Calvert of Seguin, where they later married at the Magnolia Hotel (an early stagecoach stopover) in 1847
Good

Buffalo, WY
Quote:
Buffalo's main street has more than a dozen historic buildings, including the Occidental Hotel where Owen Wister's Virginian finally "got his man." The impressive Jim Gatchell Museum has over 15,000 artifacts from the American Old West. Many other Wyoming historical sites are just a short drive from Buffalo including Fort Phil Kearney, Fetterman's Massacre Site, Wagon Box Fight and the infamous "Hole in the Wall"- the hideout of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid along with the rest of the "Wild Bunch."
Good/Bad

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #23

I first thought that you listed these cities because they had something in common. Such as scenes where guns were confiscated from citizens. I have no idea how they are all linked though.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 06-30-2012, 03:54 AM   #24

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I hung up my badge before many of the current LEOs were born. MY answer would have been a flat NO. I feel that MOST LEOs would have the same answer- BUT- I do believe the answer will be geographically driven.

Bedford Virginia, Dawsonville GA, Grand Junction CO, Odgen UT, Seguin Tx, Buffalo WY- be sure to let me know how that works out for ya, because I don't think you would have much success.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Franciso, the answer likely to be quite different- and unappealing.
I too, retired before most of the current LEO's were born. I would have refused to do it then and if in my power, would not allow it to happen now.
I took an OATH then and still live by it today. I do believe though that some of the younger LEO's today, have no understanding of the OATH that they took and what it means. I have seen those types and they are the ones that are a danger to us all. Most of them are on a power trip behind the badge and a disgrace to the profession.

Jim............

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 06-30-2012, 04:00 AM   #25

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I wouldn't do it. I would have to give up all my "non" work guns. That ain't happening.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:44 AM   #26
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1992d View Post
Im in college to become a cop at the moment but if I was told to confiscate law abiding citizens legal guns then I would have a pretty hard time paying back my college fees without a job.
and this is the trap the Govt has so cunningly laid out. A "real" job in the "civilian" world is not at all attractive to LEO's therefore they will do what they are told,when they are told, without question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
The LEO's in new orleans didn't have a problem violating the constitution during katrina. The problem is indeed the "lawful order" Without looking I guarantee there are several more states that allow the confiscation of firearms during an emergency.

It has to go beyond the hopeful discretion of honorable LEO's. A handful of states (including Oregon yay!) did amend their constitutions to specifically ban the practice of firearm confiscation during times of emergency. Unfortunately, it took the events of the katrina gun grab to prompt action. I would urge everyone to look into so-called "emergency powers" in their state and take action.
Indiana is one of those.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Michigan- a teaser only. Bedford- D Day. Seguin- John Coffee Hays Ogden- Moses. Research, and the balance is left as an exercise for the student.

And yes, there was a reason for those cities- and there are a LOT of others.
Did I pass my test?

Old 06-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #28

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
To confiscate firearms in america is a suicide mission. I spent 10 years as a LEO,if i had ever gotten an order to go from door to door confiscating firearms i would have refused. A LEOs job is dangerous enough as it is, add firearms confiscation into the equazion.

That can of worms that i wouldnt want to open
I've never been LEO, don't have the temperament for that line of work but respect and appreciate those who do. Veteran Citizens like myself don't really need Cops because we are prepared to see to our safety and when possible always look to do so in a legal manner.

One of my greatest fears in life is a political situation that pits the honorable members of American law enforcement against the equally honorable "and in many cases better trained" Veteran Citizens of our nation.

Were our Government ever to reach the conclusion that I could no longer be trusted with my gun, I would have no choice but decide that they could no longer bs trusted with there office.

The scary part is while I believe most officers would side with Mr Wray, C3, and others, there IS going to be the rookie who follows that order to his death.

Refusing an order to confiscate is one thing, refusing to help catch a cop killer however, is an entirely different matter.

As a Soldier I could have easily walked away from my job but NEVER could I have walked away from a fallen comrade and not done everything in my power to kill his attacker. ^^THIS^^ is the broken crutch that justifies confiscation and ensures all out violent revolt.

Scary stuff.

Tack

Old 06-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #29

TB1

You are right. That would probably be the catalyst. Working at the prison, I sometimes find myself taking another officers side, even though he/she is either wrong or just not right. In actions I'll take an officers side, even though I mentally side with the inmate simply because I know even though he is an inmate doesnt automatically mean he wrong.

Afterward, I pull him/her to the side and tell them that I have their back, but that they had it all wrong. I never let the inmate know that I agreed with him though.

In prison it is sort of an us versus them mentality. If a large scall incident is taking place, you need to have confidence that those around you have your back, at that they know you have their back. But I work around those were 100% of them are convicted felons. I can see cops also having that us versus them mentallity. However, cops need to realize the the "them" I refer to is a very small percentage out in society. I could envision it getting out of hand.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #30

Liked 4784 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Sure hope we never see it.

I'm certain many cops would be either honorable enough or smart enough to walk away rather than becoming a walking target once this bee hive is kicked over.

However, just as we've seen in times of war, when the manpower drops the recruiting standard follow and in short order we'd have a fresh crop of 100% thugs in blue taking up the mantle.

The term Patriot would be replaced with the term Terrorist and the running gunfights would plague Americas street indefinitely.

I highly doubt either side could win this battle which over time would reduce America to no more than another in the long line of failed states.

This is the possible future we all hope to never see, but one that all of us, who swore to uphold and defend the constitution, must be prepared to embrace.

I'm the mean time, please vote for the most pro gun candidate available. Winning at the ballot box is the only hope we have of not needing to reach for the ammo box.

Tack