Cops: Would you take guns away? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cops: Would you take guns away?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I hung up my badge before many of the current LEOs were born. MY answer would have been a flat NO. I feel that MOST LEOs would have the same answer- BUT- I do believe the answer will be geographically driven.

Bedford Virginia, Dawsonville GA, Grand Junction CO, Odgen UT, Seguin Tx, Buffalo WY- be sure to let me know how that works out for ya, because I don't think you would have much success.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Franciso, the answer likely to be quite different- and unappealing.
A friend of mine is a LEO in Grand Junction CO. I asked him a while ago what he would do. His reply was "I dont like my job that much." And I know that he loves his job.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #12

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I hung up my badge before many of the current LEOs were born. MY answer would have been a flat NO. I feel that MOST LEOs would have the same answer- BUT- I do believe the answer will be geographically driven.

Bedford Virginia, Dawsonville GA, Grand Junction CO, Odgen UT, Seguin Tx, Buffalo WY- be sure to let me know how that works out for ya, because I don't think you would have much success.

Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Franciso, the answer likely to be quite different- and unappealing.
Im pretty sure there was a reason you listed these cities. Time for a history lesson from someone who has forgotten more than I will ever learn.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 06-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1992d View Post
Im in college to become a cop at the moment but if I was told to confiscate law abiding citizens legal guns then I would have a pretty hard time paying back my college fees without a job.
Work at a prison. Become a military officer. I would never follow it.

An even tougher question: If the 2nd Amendment was legally changed through the amendment process to ban all firearms, would you confiscate them?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #14

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626

Work at a prison. Become a military officer. I would never follow it.

An even tougher question: If the 2nd Amendment was legally changed through the amendment process to ban all firearms, would you confiscate them?
Ya those are my back ups and if the 2nd is changed to not allow firearms I wouldnt want to be a police officer trying to take all ya'lls guns lol

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 06-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #15

If it was changed I still would not confiscate guns. You have a natural right to self defense. Not just a Constitutional one. Thats my view anyway.

bkt Likes This 
Old 06-30-2012, 01:30 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

We saw the actual result to this question in New Orleans.

Moot question

Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2831 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 251

There is no way in hell I would obey such an unlawful order.

WTS, The LE workforce is changing. Many newer officers fired a handgun for the first time in the Academy. Several struggle with shotgun qualifications because they do not have good gun handling experience. Gone are the days of "gun guys" (and gals) dominating the ranks. I fear when the old guard (like me) retire, there is a better than even chance the LEOs will simply obey orders (lawful or otherwise) and walk into a hail of bullets.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 AM   #18

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
There is no way in hell I would obey such an unlawful order.

WTS, The LE workforce is changing. Many newer officers fired a handgun for the first time in the Academy. Several struggle with shotgun qualifications because they do not have good gun handling experience. Gone are the days of "gun guys" (and gals) dominating the ranks. I fear when the old guard (like me) retire, there is a better than even chance the LEOs will simply obey orders (lawful or otherwise) and walk into a hail of bullets.
Its kinda ironic that the guys you trained how to use firearms are gonna be the ones that would take yours. But just like the old martial arts movies the masters never teach the students all there secrets so the old dogs are gonna have the upper hand.

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #19
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6319 Times on 3153 Posts
Likes Given: 6784

We had a standoff in a local village, man holed up in his garage, gun on his lap sitting in a chair. Hes an Iraq Vet, had a domestic dispute, wife left called the cops and the standoff began, no violence was ever reported by the wife, loud arguing only. Just after sunset a Sheriff, (Also an Iraq Vet) stormed his position with a blinding flashlight and firing plastic bullets at the guy. He returned fire with lead, one shot, right in the throat, officer died in a few minutes. The Guy was taken without incident and is now serving a life sentence for murdering a cop.

Most around here support our Police departments 100% but many of us feel that the frontal assault was completely unnecessary, the sheriffs department said they did it because they were afraid the guy was suicidal, they tried to taze him then shot bullets at him while blinding him with a light. The guy never lifted his weapon until they shot at him.

Now both are dead, one literally, the other might just as well be.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
We had a standoff in a local village, man holed up in his garage, gun on his lap sitting in a chair. Hes an Iraq Vet, had a domestic dispute, wife left called the cops and the standoff began, no violence was ever reported by the wife, loud arguing only. Just after sunset a Sheriff, (Also an Iraq Vet) stormed his position with a blinding flashlight and firing plastic bullets at the guy. He returned fire with lead, one shot, right in the throat, officer died in a few minutes. The Guy was taken without incident and is now serving a life sentence for murdering a cop.

Most around here support our Police departments 100% but many of us feel that the frontal assault was completely unnecessary, the sheriffs department said they did it because they were afraid the guy was suicidal, they tried to taze him then shot bullets at him while blinding him with a light. The guy never lifted his weapon until they shot at him.

Now both are dead, one literally, the other might just as well be.
I think it's a shame that the officer got shot and I think the idiot who sent him in deserved to get it, not the officer. From what you say, they should've solved it without violence, but if they had to go in they should've sent more than one guy and gave them real bullets! This case is what I'm afraid of, officers being told lies, or just blindly following orders, and getting shot in the process. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot someone trying to take my guns, but it's a shame to have to do it.