Cops think they can violate your right - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Cops think they can violate your right

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
OK, what about the States that deny your CCW (for everyone but the well connected) but allow open carry? People need to get over seeing someone with a weapon on their hip! Does the Police Officer at the counter of your local eatery make you nervous because he/she is wearing a weapon?

What about States whose CCW law requires a $500 annual permit fee but allows open carry? This just says that if you're rich you have the right to self defense!

Until States realize that possession of a firearm and carrying such is our Constitutional Right, there are always going to be these issues.

You can open carry in California, but the weapon has to be unloaded and you cannot have ammo within easy reach if you decide to exercise this right! Kind of shouts SHOOT ME or Feel Free to take my Gun!!

Stores that post No Firearms don't get my business and I have no problem telling the management!! I know, but I don't care if I have to drive 100 miles to get what I want or order from the Internet...that's what I do.

This is as much a right as standing on a soap box in the middle of the town and spouting your political beliefs. As much a right as writing the editor of your paper and expressing your ideas. Self defense is a God given right and as long as the bad guys have access to firearms, we should too!!

I do have an issue with telegraphing that I am carrying though!! I'd rather it be a suprise!!
No arguements on your post. But again this is not the case here in Michigan. It is not that hard to get a CPl here, unless your a fruit loop or a felon, and it doesn't cost much. This is about some person that wants to stroke himself in full view of the public. So the questions stands. Why open carry even though it is legal, when you can conceal carry and not scare folks? A little commen sense goes a long ways.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So what about open carrying an AR-15, strapped to your back, in a city steak house on a saturday afternoon?

Gun Carriers Walk into Ponderosa Steakhouse

Old 02-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Do you really think it is OK for individuals to be able to carry openly anywhere?
Anywhere that it is legal for them to do so? Yes. How is it wrong for him to OC at a fast food joint?

I have a hard time understanding gun owners that condemn a man for exercising a legal right to openly carry in a place where he is legally allowed to do so. It kind of makes my stomach turn.

Quote:
So what about open carrying an AR-15, strapped to your back, in a city steak house on a saturday afternoon?
If it is legal to do so? (it should be in every state in the nation)

Yes.

Would you feel different about it if it were a lever gun?
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 02-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:

However i think you missed the point I was trying to get at. Why open carry even when it's legal, when you can easily conceal carry and not scare folks.....why?
There are numerous arguments on both sides.

Maybe someone doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting a permit. Maybe they want to show the rest of the sheep that carrying a gun does not make you a bad person.

Why do you think they shouldn't OC?
"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #25

Not even attempting to get a CC if you want to carry shows laziness and a lack of respect to others. You are perfectly in you legal rights to flash your gun around on your leg, but for how long.

It is this kind of stupid brazzen attitude like showing up at a restaraunt with OC that will stir the pot enough where they laws will change for the worse. Pretty soon it will become a restricted or non OC state. Do people not realize this. Do you want Michigan to become a non OC state? We enjoy the freedom as an OC state. And what possible motive would there be to OC into a family restaraunt???? You can easily do this with CC and not scare people. Any person with some common sense would know this.

Granted there is no such thing as total freedom and rights. What may be your rights and freedom may impeed on some one elses. That is why there is laws in this society. You cannot effectively support your rights by shoving it down the throat of another. Then you violate his or her rights.

What I am trying to get at is this. We enjoy a good balance of gun rights in Michigan. I don't think the majority of gun owners will disagree. Displaying fruitless actions like OC in a family restaraunt doesn't serve any decent purpose. I for sure do not want some idiot walking in with a AR into a restaraunt where I am dining with my kids. That is just fact and i am sure millions would agree.

And I for sure do not want to be desensitized enough to ignore some one that walked in with a firearm, thinking well it's his right, and have tragic consequences, when you know better and my nutometer ringing so loud it would break the shell. Do you???? My suggestion is to go get a damn CC and keep it in your pants or leave it at home. Cause if you cannot make this connection you should not be carrying a firearm. It is for responsilbe and considerate people. period.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
so instead of going and getting a concealed carry permit he open carrys knowing full well someones bound to call the police.now hes sewing or has a lawsuit that he'll probably win costing the tax payers of michigan thousands of dollars not to mention the waisted time of everyone involved.
there will always be someone calling the cops, rights are rights!!.....I was shooting my automatic and had to teach the state trooper that responded to the call that i was really legal!!............again rights are rights and should not be spoken against!!......if you don't believe in those rights.......outlaw them!!......however, you will still hafta pry my guns from my cold dead hands (watch out for the wife when you do)........oh by the way i though i was out of earshot of everyone, and shooting in a gravel pit for safety!!!

There were harsh words exchanged between me and the trooper (still can't believe i had to educate him on the laws!!)

Last edited by peter764; 02-28-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter girl View Post
Anywhere that it is legal for them to do so? Yes. How is it wrong for him to OC at a fast food joint?

I have a hard time understanding gun owners that condemn a man for exercising a legal right to openly carry in a place where he is legally allowed to do so. It kind of makes my stomach turn.

If it is legal to do so? (it should be in every state in the nation)

Yes.

Would you feel different about it if it were a lever gun?
Very well put shooter girl...very well put

Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #28

Look nobody is saying that your gun rights are wrong or should be diminished in anyway. Quite the contrary. The main question which everyone seems to be dodging is simple and it is this.

Why OC carry even when is in your legal rights ( again no one is contesting this ) when you can CC carry without scaring the neighbors.

I'll tell you why noone is answering this question, because there isn't a good reason. We as gun owners take on certain responsibilities to protect ourselves and people around us. So why in Sam hill would you intentionally scare people when you know it will. You can still carry a gun just CC it.

Silly why we would question the guy walking into the departmemt store in mid summer with a black trench coat, but won't question the guy that walked in with the AR. Doesn't seem like much sense to me. It really comes down to reasoning and intent.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #29
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 477 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter764 View Post
there will always be someone calling the cops, rights are rights!!.....I was shooting my automatic and had to teach the state trooper that responded to the call that i was really legal!!............again rights are rights and should not be spoken against!!......if you don't believe in those rights.......outlaw them!!......however, you will still hafta pry my guns from my cold dead hands (watch out for the wife when you do)........oh by the way i though i was out of earshot of everyone, and shooting in a gravel pit for safety!!!

There were harsh words exchanged between me and the trooper (still can't believe i had to educate him on the laws!!)
i dont believe i ever said anything about rights im talking commen sense have some self respect and respect for others. some states are a lot more lienent like arizona where lots of people open carry its not a big deal quit trying to take us back to the wild west.this kind of takes me back to the militia post your not john wayne and your not a mercinary. and im not impressed all your doing is giving gun owners a bad name to all the uneducated anti gunners.who will use this against us later. i own my fair share of firearms and i will fight for every right to keep them but ill be civilized about it.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Look nobody is saying that your gun rights are wrong or should be diminished in anyway. Quite the contrary. The main question which everyone seems to be dodging is simple and it is this.

Why OC carry even when is in your legal rights ( again no one is contesting this ) when you can CC carry without scaring the neighbors.

I'll tell you why noone is answering this question, because there isn't a good reason. We as gun owners take on certain responsibilities to protect ourselves and people around us. So why in Sam hill would you intentionally scare people when you know it will. You can still carry a gun just CC it.

Silly why we would question the guy walking into the departmemt store in mid summer with a black trench coat, but won't question the guy that walked in with the AR. Doesn't seem like much sense to me. It really comes down to reasoning and intent.

Look I see your point about making a spectacle out of yourself or looking for attention. Yes you MAY carry your AR into the local ice cream shop. but why? I get it.

The best way to actually use your right and educate the public and LEO on the legal use of OC should probably start closer to home.
OC into the hardware store or drugstore you've been going to for years, wear it while cutting your grass or walking your dog in the park. When people see you carrying you wont just be some total stranger with a gun, it'll be people you've known for years, and when they ask, you can explain the rights and responsibilities of OC to them in a friendly manner, and hopefully more people will become comfortable with OC and spread the word.

I also like the organized park walks and such much more than a bunch of guys wearing tactical gear walking in force into the local Toys'R' Us.
I thought I heard in VA people would get together with their neighbors and go to the local diner while OC. It wasn't such a shock because they were going to eat at a place with friends they'd been going to for years, where people knew their faces and knew they were law abiding citizens.
It helped spread the word through respect and education, not shock and fear.

While it is their right to do so, the guy carrying an AK wearing a "F**k the Police" T-shirt doesnt help the image of responsible open carry, but there is nothing you can do to stop that guy from OC'ing without getting rid of everyones rights.

Since those people wont stop, not OC'ing yourself does nothing to improve the image to the general public. The only people they will see exercising that right will be the "fringe" types, and soon, see ya, bye bye OC.

By using OC responsibily and showing/educating the general public that "normal" people OC too, that can lessen the impact of the "fringe" types and attention seekers and ensure we retain our rights in the future.---------my respectful .02
Beyond the speed of sound---
Fire it up, Let the engines roll
It's time to burn it down

Closed Thread