Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cops think they can violate your right

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am the newbie here but I would like to put in my 2 cents if I may. OC as pioneer points out is not always in the best interest and I can see why the restaurant people called the police. However once the police came out and found nothing wrong the gentleman in question should have been allowed move on. period. The videos with the motorcycles kind of disturbed me as I ride and I have a concealed carry permit and when on the bike it sometime becomes quite obvious that I am carrying (wind blowing jacket, etc.) I can honestly say that I do not want to be put in a position of having to defend my actions when I am within my rights and obeying the law just because some LEO does not know the law. I know that a police officer is not an attorney and it is impossible to know all the laws but lets face it gun laws are important and should be at least understood. Don't get me wrong I am not coming down on law enforcement, I appreciate them, I have many friends that are either local cops or troopers and for the most part most are really good understanding people doing a hard job.
I can personally tell two stories about the lack of knowledge by LEO's that caused problems for innocent law abiding citizens. One was a friend, a local cop who saw someone enter a store wearing a pistol who he arrested and the man spent the night in jail because my friend the cop thought a public place was off limits to carry concealed. The other was me, when a local cop in the city along with 3 other Leo's surrounded me and frisked me and embarrassed me because someone saw a part of a pistol under my jacket. The cop was telling me that I was in a public place and it was illegal, luckily his Sargent came up and explained the difference between a public place and a public gathering.... a simple point of law but one guy spent a night in jail for nothing and I was embarrassed and detained for no reason...BTW my friend the cop was reprimanded for his illegal arrest and at least he'll know better next time. But what about the scores of policemen and women who don't bother to learn or don't really care....

Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSGUN View Post
I am the newbie here but I would like to put in my 2 cents if I may. OC as pioneer points out is not always in the best interest and I can see why the restaurant people called the police. However once the police came out and found nothing wrong the gentleman in question should have been allowed move on. period. The videos with the motorcycles kind of disturbed me as I ride and I have a concealed carry permit and when on the bike it sometime becomes quite obvious that I am carrying (wind blowing jacket, etc.) I can honestly say that I do not want to be put in a position of having to defend my actions when I am within my rights and obeying the law just because some LEO does not know the law. I know that a police officer is not an attorney and it is impossible to know all the laws but lets face it gun laws are important and should be at least understood. Don't get me wrong I am not coming down on law enforcement, I appreciate them, I have many friends that are either local cops or troopers and for the most part most are really good understanding people doing a hard job.
I can personally tell two stories about the lack of knowledge by LEO's that caused problems for innocent law abiding citizens. One was a friend, a local cop who saw someone enter a store wearing a pistol who he arrested and the man spent the night in jail because my friend the cop thought a public place was off limits to carry concealed. The other was me, when a local cop in the city along with 3 other Leo's surrounded me and frisked me and embarrassed me because someone saw a part of a pistol under my jacket. The cop was telling me that I was in a public place and it was illegal, luckily his Sargent came up and explained the difference between a public place and a public gathering.... a simple point of law but one guy spent a night in jail for nothing and I was embarrassed and detained for no reason...BTW my friend the cop was reprimanded for his illegal arrest and at least he'll know better next time. But what about the scores of policemen and women who don't bother to learn or don't really care....
See, the problem here is that the handguns weren't concealed if someone could see them (including printing). You might have to experiment with different types of clothing when you ride a bike for instance to make sure that your weapon is properly concealed. It's either that or open carry if your state/city allows it. I am sure the arrest your friend conducted was unwarranted, although he was in his right to confront the individual because he was carrying concealed and his weapon was clearly showing. That sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #123

[QUOTE=ThorsHammer;266225]See, the problem here is that the handguns weren't concealed if someone could see them (including printing). You might have to experiment with different types of clothing when you ride a bike for instance to make sure that your weapon is properly concealed. It's either that or open carry if your state/city allows it. I am sure the arrest your friend conducted was unwarranted, although he was in his right to confront the individual because he was carrying concealed and his weapon was clearly showing. That sounds like a no-brainer to me.[/QUOT

I appreciate your somewhat smart=alec response but you are missing the point. a properly licensed individual should not have to worry about being detained, arrested or illegally discriminated against because an officer does not know the laws hes supposed to enforce. BTW, the case with my friend was a well dressed gent getting out of his car and while wearing a sport jacket it opened to show a shoulder holster, either way an experienced individual can usually tell if someone is packing so your saying that an officer can approach anyone he thinks is armed. If you think that is probable cause we should just throw away our constitution...I can go one step further just for the sake of argument...I drive a very fast car , every time i get on the exway the trooper ought to stop me and check me out because I might go to fast,lol

Old 04-08-2010, 02:09 AM   #124

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSGUN View Post
I appreciate your somewhat smart=alec response but you are missing the point. a properly licensed individual should not have to worry about being detained, arrested or illegally discriminated against because an officer does not know the laws hes supposed to enforce. BTW, the case with my friend was a well dressed gent getting out of his car and while wearing a sport jacket it opened to show a shoulder holster, either way an experienced individual can usually tell if someone is packing so your saying that an officer can approach anyone he thinks is armed. If you think that is probable cause we should just throw away our constitution...I can go one step further just for the sake of argument...I drive a very fast car , every time i get on the exway the trooper ought to stop me and check me out because I might go to fast,lol
The issue is with carrying concealed. If you let your shoulder holster show, you're not properly concealing. That's the whole point of concealed carry. I can get some of the more experienced CCW holders in here if you want to bandy words. If you let your weapon show, that is cause enough for an officer to approach you, at his or her discretion.

On the topic of the car. Let's say the car is your body. Let's say you have a radar detector in your car. In some states, like Virginia, radar detectors are illegal. Now, you can still take your radar detector out of your windshield and put it in your trunk. Same thing with concealed carry. Don't let it show. If you don't care if it shows, then just open carry and don't worry about it.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 04-08-2010, 02:17 AM   #125

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 AM   #126

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Play nice or go home!

Not you TH!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Closed Thread