Cops think they can violate your right
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cops think they can violate your right

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Cops think they can violate your right

This is the third part of a cop cam video where a man is stop for OC'ing in Michigan where OC'ing is legal. Click the link then fast forward to the 6:22 mark in the video. This guy has a lawsuit, the cop confessed to his intent.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-27-2010, 05:32 PM   #2

Alright I am all about gun rights and open carry laws, but this FN idiot walking around a fast food joint, where you know kids and passive customers are visiting, gives us gun owners a bad name. You as a gunowner should be able to make reasonable decisions. This is not the old west. If you feel you need to carry just go get a cpl. If you can't get one you probably don't deserve one because of bad choices like this. If your going to wear a gun you should know the general public views open gun carry a scary thing. Unfortunitely if you do allow this kind of activity your going to have a lot of idiots brandishing their guns legally, and don't mistake it, it is brandishing hiding behind the oc laws. Reasoning, you can still carry a gun, protect yourself, and not make the neighbors crap one in their shorts. Why wouldn't you. Give the cop some credit.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 02-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

Liked 414 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

so instead of going and getting a concealed carry permit he open carrys knowing full well someones bound to call the police.now hes sewing or has a lawsuit that he'll probably win costing the tax payers of michigan thousands of dollars not to mention the waisted time of everyone involved.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:28 PM   #4

that sounds about right. That was probably his intent and he probably will get what he wants. Does anyone have his name so I can google him and find out where he lives, then kick him in the shorts.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm a little skeptical of the OC guys that film or tape audio of their time out on OC mode. While I"m all for people being allowed to OC carry, and I will at times as well but I don't go out looking for a situation to test local LEO's opinions about it.. And when you have someone carrying around an audio recorder or has someone vid taping it seems to me that they are looking for evidence many of times.

Simple fact of the mater is if you are carrying a weapon and someone sees it they might call police. And when they come out you are the guy with a gun. I do think sometimes LEO can get out of hand in situations like this but if they are called out they are going to say something. I'm not giving an opinion about this vid or anything. Just looking at it from more than one angle is all.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

This is part 4 of the second time the same officer stopped him for OC while riding a motorcycle. Video footage, as with the other video is from Police Camera

This is about 30min into the stop, the officer gets schooled on michigan carry law over the phone by a prosecutor.
CC with CCL = LEGAL
OC with CCL= LEGAL
OC without CCL= LEGAL
At @ 1:30 into this video the officer tells the prosecutor on the phone
"I just hope someone kicks the $hit out of him and uses his own gun on him"
Probably out of embarrassment/frustration of not being able to charge the driver with anything...again

Some states OC is much more accepted, in large part to individuals exercising their rights and educating the public and LEO in much the same way as this individual is doing. I believe VA is one of them.
I generally don't OC in my home state of PA even though it is legal because of the unwanted attention it can bring and I feel that most of the time CC is the best option.
However, the law is the law, if you don't like the legal rights we have to carry firearms as they stand now gadrooning, maybe you can contact your legislature about repealing OC/CC laws or maybe join or support the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #7

Gotta agree with ya,gate.
The guy is doing nothing against the law and the cop should school himself in the law.
I have to admit these two are also trying to see whose ego is bigger.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #8

I definately do not want to repeal OC or CC carry as I am an advocate for this. I do have a CPL license and enjoy the rights carry. However with all due respect, saying the law is the law is poor way of looking at current laws as being right or absolute. The world is not black and white and nor should the view of the gunlaws. My point is that we should be able to OC but with that comes resposibilities. Do you really think it is OK for individuals to be able to carry openly anywhere? Do you really think that everyone is responsible enough or careful enough to carry a gun. Course not, but people do have the right too. I am saying lets put a squash on these idiots like this before they change enough public view to open carry all the time and you and I know that will mess up the OC laws for you and I. I am trying to protect our OC laws not supress them.

Last edited by gadrooning; 02-27-2010 at 07:50 PM.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
I'm a little skeptical of the OC guys that film or tape audio of their time out on OC mode. While I"m all for people being allowed to OC carry, and I will at times as well but I don't go out looking for a situation to test local LEO's opinions about it.. And when you have someone carrying around an audio recorder or has someone vid taping it seems to me that they are looking for evidence many of times.

Simple fact of the mater is if you are carrying a weapon and someone sees it they might call police. And when they come out you are the guy with a gun. I do think sometimes LEO can get out of hand in situations like this but if they are called out they are going to say something. I'm not giving an opinion about this vid or anything. Just looking at it from more than one angle is all.
That the the cop car's video cam. I too might not agree with those that go out trying to get the cops riled up(Ridley Report), but at the same time their message is right, Cops should get educated on the legality of OC and CC.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
I definately do not want to repeal OC or CC carry as I am an advocate for this. I do have a CPL license and enjoy the rights carry. However with all due respect, saying the law is the law is poor way of looking at current laws as being right or absolute. The world is not black and white and nor should the view of the gunlaws. My point is that we should be able to OC but with that comes resposibilities. Do you really think it is OK for individuals to be able to carry openly anywhere? Do you really think that everyone is responsible enough or careful enough to carry a gun. Course not, but people do have the right too. I am saying lets put a squash on these idiots like this before they change enough public view to open carry all the time and you and I know that will mess up the OC laws for you and I. I am trying to protect our OC laws not supress them.
Sure it should, its called the U.S. Constitution, which is.....black and white.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by michigan0626; 02-27-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Closed Thread