Cops Fear Violence Against Flash Mobs - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Cops Fear Violence Against Flash Mobs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
Can you defend your property with deadly force in Texas? I mean physical property, not your home. In other words, if someone is stealing your car can you walk out on your driveway and shoot them?

Not in GA brother. Unless he/she is trying to run me down... that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
FatPat, here in GA we do have a "stand your ground" doctrine in the law. If you believe deadly force is necessary to prevent the commission of a "forcible felony", it is ok to do so. If someone tries to carjack you and shows a weapon, if you determine it is imminent that they will cause death or great bodily harm to you, you are justified in using deadly force.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #72

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogcjg View Post
why most the gangs be hispanic i have never been robbed by black or hispanics my house got broken into by a white meth adicted so please dont make this about race it about good and bad people
I know I didn't mention race, and I don't remember anyone else either. A criminal is a criminal no matter what race. My son is married to a hispanic lady. Everyone accepts that except other hispanics. I only have a prejudice against idiots. (not you personally, I don't know you.) But idiocy comes in all race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age group and sexual orientation. Where you rarely find idiots are on both shooter boards and camera boards and I find that very interesting. Just about any other forum you will find folks that go out of their way to create friction and keep pushing it until everyone is ticked off. I haven't read all the posts on this forum so their might be someone who tried that but I am sure they got put in their proper place by the moderator.

I also belong to a couple of camera forums since I also like to 'shoot' pictures. Again I don't think I have ever seen that on a camera forum either.

I have seen hate crimes here in my city and you would think that Austin would be pretty progressive. The state of Texas voted Repulican in the last election but the city of Austin voted democrat. A few years back a legal aid (a young black man) and his girlfried were leaving a club just a few block from the capital building. They were harrassed on the street by some guys who didn't like the fact his girlfriend was white. They got past the thugs and were almost to his car when these guys had gotten in their car and attempted to run them both down. The young man pushed to girl out of the way but was struck hard by the vehicle. The drivers then took off of course. The girl was scrapped a little but the young man's head struck the curb and put him in a long coma. About two months I think. Everyone was very concerned because he was top of his class and the injury could have cost him everything he had worked for. It took almost a year of rehab and he has recalled almost all the knowledge he had. He completed school and passed the bar exam on the first try. I admire his gumption to get back up and fight again. With head injuries like that you just never know what you are going to get.

Sorry rambling here. Just saying that Austin has more than it's fair share of hate crimes against all minorities and gays.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thumbs up

Quote:
Due in most part to georgiacarry.org, Georgia residents are regaining a lot of our rights. There is no requirement to inform, you can carry openly or concealed with your GWCL (Georgia Weapons Carry License) you are not required by law to show ID or your license just because an officer asks for it. Our public gathering law has gone away, and the places where you cannot carry are becoming less and less. Go GCO!
That's great. There is no law to inform here either, it is just a courtesy and a good practice. I hope Texas will take a page from the Georgia laws on carrying.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #74

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millwright View Post
Not to pick on you, DM, but why is it so many think crimes against property are a lesser evil than crimes against an individual ?

At any given moment someone in America dies. Regardless of the mechanism, they're dead. Relatives grieve and they're missed for a time. But that's the end of it.

But crimes against property are the "gift that keeps on giving" . Kill the store owner and the store closes. Neighbors can't get food or other neccessities conveniently. They have to travel further and are exposed to crime longer. Other store owners' insurance rises and soon they can't afford to stay in business. Unemployment creeps up as businesses close in a domino effect as services they depend upon are forced to close due to spiraling insurance costs. Soon you've got a "blighted neighborhood", where scum venture forth to prey upon more affluent nearby neighborhoods, blighting them.......

Or, someone looking to start a business finds an ideal property. But investigation shows its in a "high-crime neighborhood". Current employees don't want to commute to the new digs. His insuror hits him with a hugh increase to move there. Renovation costs spiral as materials are stolen almost as fast as delivered. Meanwhile his fraternity brother with the same idea looks a this guy's problems and decides to "offshore" his products or establish his factory outside - far outside - that area.

OR, your house is robbed. You can't afford to replace all of what was taken becasue the insurance was spent to fix the damage. You and your wife and kids are doing with a lot less to make up the difference. People supplying the goods and services you would have purchased lose their jobs.

IOW, crimes against property have a "domino effect" far exceeding the "value" of goods lost in the original crime. >Mw
I don't disagree with you except on the pont that when someone dies they are forgotten. John Kennedy? We know who, when and how. Bobby Kennedy we know who when and how. The Sharon Tate murders we know who when how. In my small hometown I had an aunt and uncle murdered in their home. No one out there has ever forgotten them or the crime or the date. It was my Dad's sister and the only time I ever saw my Dad cry. Nope victims of violent death are greatly remembered. Some were very famous and some not. If you really want to see 'not forgetting' travel to Washington DC and visit the Viet Nam Veteran memorial.

Sorry. Soap box again. LOL

Old 07-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
FatPat, here in GA we do have a "stand your ground" doctrine in the law. If you believe deadly force is necessary to prevent the commission of a "forcible felony", it is ok to do so. If someone tries to carjack you and shows a weapon, if you determine it is imminent that they will cause death or great bodily harm to you, you are justified in using deadly force.
You are absolutely correct, but that wasn't exactly what I was trying to get across. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the wording of my question. It was also, somewhat, tongue-in-cheek.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #76

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymac1 View Post
That's great. There is no law to inform here either, it is just a courtesy and a good practice. I hope Texas will take a page from the Georgia laws on carrying.
I agree with exceptions... I take my interaction with law enforcement on a case by case basis. I don't know what all States do this, but here in GA agencies will conduct "roadblocks". Ostensibly, they are for the purpose of verifying licensure, catching drunk drivers, etc. I won't get into what I think of them here, too big a subject... At any rate, most Georgians have, in the course of their lives, been stopped at one of these "roadblocks" multiple times. Sometimes I inform, sometimes I do not. It depends on the officer's demeanor, and my gut feeling.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #77

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymac1 View Post
I know I didn't mention race, and I don't remember anyone else either. A criminal is a criminal no matter what race. My son is married to a hispanic lady. Everyone accepts that except other hispanics. I only have a prejudice against idiots. (not you personally, I don't know you.) But idiocy comes in all race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age group and sexual orientation. Where you rarely find idiots are on both shooter boards and camera boards and I find that very interesting. Just about any other forum you will find folks that go out of their way to create friction and keep pushing it until everyone is ticked off. I haven't read all the posts on this forum so their might be someone who tried that but I am sure they got put in their proper place by the moderator.

I also belong to a couple of camera forums since I also like to 'shoot' pictures. Again I don't think I have ever seen that on a camera forum either.

I have seen hate crimes here in my city and you would think that Austin would be pretty progressive. The state of Texas voted Repulican in the last election but the city of Austin voted democrat. A few years back a legal aid (a young black man) and his girlfried were leaving a club just a few block from the capital building. They were harrassed on the street by some guys who didn't like the fact his girlfriend was white. They got past the thugs and were almost to his car when these guys had gotten in their car and attempted to run them both down. The young man pushed to girl out of the way but was struck hard by the vehicle. The drivers then took off of course. The girl was scrapped a little but the young man's head struck the curb and put him in a long coma. About two months I think. Everyone was very concerned because he was top of his class and the injury could have cost him everything he had worked for. It took almost a year of rehab and he has recalled almost all the knowledge he had. He completed school and passed the bar exam on the first try. I admire his gumption to get back up and fight again. With head injuries like that you just never know what you are going to get.

Sorry rambling here. Just saying that Austin has more than it's fair share of hate crimes against all minorities and gays.
sorry its just lately i have heard alot of crazy talk not here sorry to let something some one said somwhere else afected here

Old 07-09-2011, 12:03 AM   #78

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know about other towns but if you try that kind of crap in my little area of the world you might find yourself face to face with a pissed off store owner and a very large bore shotgun. Up here we don't take kindly to rude behavior.

I told a young man once to be careful because I have a 12 gauge, 25 acres and a backhoe.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #79

Quote:
You are absolutely correct, but that wasn't exactly what I was trying to get across. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the wording of my question. It was also, somewhat, tongue-in-cheek.
Sorry about that. Hard to get the sarcasm on the forum...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005